• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Shugo Chara, Skip Beat Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsukimi
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
They are actuallly getting rid of fansubs? I was wondering if this happens what about the old anime that could never make it to the united states? like da capo, eternal rainbow, mermaid melody pichi pichi pitch, kamikaze kaitou jeanne and others that might be similer.
I like to rewatch alot of anime so why cant' we get some of these here? What happen if the shugo chara, skip beat, all the new anime they are doing what happen it never makes it to the united states Sad I like to own them on dvds but i'm tired of waiting for anime that may never come.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru_masha wrote:
Wait, don't you have to pay to wach Crunchyroll releases? i think you need a membership.that was my understanding, anyways.

You have understood incorrectly. Though, who knows what will happen with these shows, they may have some kind of arrangement to ONLY do them as pay downloads or something. However, right now, Crunchyroll is free streaming, pay downloads - Anime that they have the rights to show, supplied by the Japanese company. Its not a horrible deal if you can stand to watch streaming Anime. Quality isn't exactly the best though, overall. The pay downloads are cheap so I'm not TOTALLY upset but yes, the quality on those is kinda lacking. They're up quick though, so if you need your fix, you can get it fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
While this sounds awesome, sadly no named show that I really want to watch. I mean, I'll probably watch Naruto, but it's far from a show that REALLY catches me eye (like a lot of the ones probably being removed come Jan 8, never to be seen again on the site). I suppose I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll quality is so terrible. Hulu and Joost, even YouTube's "High Quality" streams are all so much better.
sdhd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
can't wait for Skip Beat!

Last edited by sdhd on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dahling

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
D:>

But WHEN will it start and is there any way to get a direct link to the account (I assume it'll be an account) that it'll be on? I'm a fan of the Skip Beat manga and would enjoy watching the show officially, even if I have to wair months for an episode. BUT I'd love to have a little more information, please and thank you!
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Crunchyroll quality is so terrible. Hulu and Joost, even YouTube's "High Quality" streams are all so much better.

I'd very much like to know what you're watching. I'll admit that CR's 'low' and even their 'high quality' is pretty shoddy, but their H264 (or whatever) is at least as good as Hulu's high-def. And unlike Hulu, CR has a tendency to play without hiccups. But then, maybe for some reason quality differs between our monitors. As for youtube, I think their high quality also sucks, but that's just me.

(edited some grammatical mistakes, but knowing me there's probably still some there)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
I don't have a problem about CR's video streaming quality. Crunchyroll's high quality and H264 video quality is just as good as Hulu, and Joost. The download quality is just as good as IGN's Diect2Drive for Slam Dunk. CR's video quality is LOW, HIGH, or H264 depending on the setting of the video it sometimes defaults to the LOW quality.

They're highly unlikey to give these series the h.264 setting though. Enjoy your artifacts. They didn't give it for any of the GONZO shows that they streamed, and the download quality of those shows were awful.
DJTyrant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

I'd very much like to know what you're watching. I'll admit that CR's 'low' and even their 'high quality' is pretty shoddy, but their H264 (or whatever) is at least as good as Hulu's high-def. And unlike Hulu, CR has a tendency to play without hiccups. But then, maybe for some reason quality differs between our monitors. As for youtube, I think their high quality also sucks, but that's just me.

(edited some grammatical mistakes, but knowing me there's probably still some there)

I still get tons of artifacts and pixilation with CR even on "H.264" (it really shouldn't look like YouTube if it's truely H.264. Hulu runs flawlessly on my computer, even in HD mode.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
I wish there would be less complaints - we rarely get opportunities to watch ongoing/new anime for free Anime smile + sweatdrop I love Crunchyroll. Been a member there for about a year now (possibly longer).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
I'm really split here. I despise crunchroll, but at the same time, I'm thrilled by the chance to watch my anime legally. Cursed little streaming video boxes.
mastertr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
That's great news. I have watched a few episodes of Shugo Chara previously on fansubs, so I look forward to watching the rest legally through Crunchyroll Smile
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
It would be nice if TV Tokyo could use Hulu.
dm85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I recently tested out Crunchyroll's quality by watching a bit of Linebarrels of Iron. I have to say the quality was lacking a bit.. Then you get into the site's past and how they took advantage of people *cough* dumb enough to pay for fansubs. I wish the companies would either get behind a site that does it better (Hulu possibly) or try and do it themselves as a group. If they all pitch in for cost they don't have to risk going bankrupt (atleast I hope that's the case).

Don't get me wrong as long as they make an effort and keep improving on it I'm happy, but in the long run I wouldn't mind a decent resolution with atleast tv quality viewing. They should also have a limited time of viewing for each episode. If it's available within a week of broadcast they should allow only a few days to watch an episode. Personally, I enjoy using my vcr to record what's on CN or Scifi and watching it in bulk. Maybe offer a few slots to save a handful of episodes so you can view them even after it's viewable duration expires. All this would be ad supported ofcourse and covers mostly free to watch users. Members who'd pay would obviously get more options (downloadable high quality episodes and possibly more episode slots).

Sorry for the rambling..
Nomeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one left that remembers that crunchyroll at least use to make a lot of money off of fansubs. I dont know if they still do, but that's besides the point in my opinion.

It seems like the owners of crunchyroll are only getting rewarded for their bad business, with these companies investing more in them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3