• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Shugo Chara, Skip Beat Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
DJTyrant wrote:
DFBTG wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Crunchyroll quality is so terrible. Hulu and Joost, even YouTube's "High Quality" streams are all so much better.

I'd very much like to know what you're watching. I'll admit that CR's 'low' and even their 'high quality' is pretty shoddy, but their H264 (or whatever) is at least as good as Hulu's high-def. And unlike Hulu, CR has a tendency to play without hiccups. But then, maybe for some reason quality differs between our monitors. As for youtube, I think their high quality also sucks, but that's just me.

(edited some grammatical mistakes, but knowing me there's probably still some there)

I still get tons of artifacts and pixilation with CR even on "H.264" (it really shouldn't look like YouTube if it's truely H.264. Hulu runs flawlessly on my computer, even in HD mode.

Huh, wonder why the CR quality is so different between us. Maybe it's just the video? I know an episode of one show looked like crap even when on H.264, but the other 12 episodes looked perfect (no pixelation or anything). As for Hulu, though hiccups have been getting less and less frequent for me. Don't know why, but I'm not going to complain.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
DJTyrant wrote:
I still get tons of artifacts and pixilation with CR even on "H.264" (it really shouldn't look like YouTube if it's truely H.264. Hulu runs flawlessly on my computer, even in HD mode.

I believe Youtube's highest quality streams actually use H.264.
Unfortunately the codec doesn't necessarily determine the quality, it depends on the source material, the equipment and the skill of the people doing the encoding and how much you are willing to compromise on between file size and quality. If you transfer a VHS tape to DVD it will still look as bad as a VHS tape. If you suck at encoding to H.264 then chances are the results will be bad. If you try to keep the filesize as low as possible, then quality will suffer.

Nomeru wrote:
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one left that remembers that crunchyroll at least use to make a lot of money off of fansubs. I don't know if they still do, but that's besides the point in my opinion.

To be fair, so does Youtube. People upload fansubs, people watch them, Youtube gain ad revenue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nomeru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Nomeru wrote:
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one left that remembers that crunchyroll at least use to make a lot of money off of fansubs. I don't know if they still do, but that's besides the point in my opinion.

To be fair, so does Youtube. People upload fansubs, people watch them, Youtube gain ad revenue.

I will agree that youtube also has a similar problem in that they dont actively remove things, but rather require that it be requested for removal which must be a pain in the ass for companies. At the least though, youtube staff are not the ones putting them up.

I never spent a lot of time at crunchyroll, so I dont know many of the details, but I was under the impression that most of the anime episodes there are put on by crunchyroll staff. I also remember that they wanted people to pay for membership.

I dont know... I'm never going to like crunchyroll though. Unfortunetly at this rate, it's not going anywhere.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Nomeru, from what I can tell the users upload the videos, but the staff has to OK them before they're actually put up. Which I think helps in the policy that seems to be "once it's down, it's down". I've yet to find a show that says it's been licensed put back up there, unless it's the company themselves. Thing might have changed from the then to now, though. Apparently I became a member of CR in July 07, but I never started consitently going there until about two months ago. So maybe back then they had some BS (or depending on point of view, more BS).
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
it's nice to see these titles getting appreciation on Crunchy Roll,but however,I always find that site to be LQ,I'll stick to Veoh and Direct downloads.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
I too remember when Crunchyroll was all fansubs and streaming copies of licensed shows, and such. But I am glad to see that they've gone legitimate and that they're actually trying to play by some kind of rules. Its a boon, and good on them, that they've been working with Japanese companies to air things legally. They do charge for downloadable copies of things, though I imagine that is with the permission of the license holder and to pay for some of the license fee or some such. Or turn a profit for the license holder. Anyway, when you click to pay it says something that suggests as much. And that I don't mind. Its not too expensive. The quality isn't "the best" but I don't care about the quality as much, especially if I'm watching on the internet. When I have actual DVDs of shows, then MAYBE I'll worry about it. . I don't LIKE streaming, but I can get it to work well enough that I can still enjoy the show. I appreciate what they're doing irregardless of the problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anime_Freak317

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The problem I see with CR is that they may have a high level of video streaming, but that still makes it a pain in the rear for those who have a 5-year old CPU or dial-up. H264 videos don't play well on my system and I can't afford any fee-related downloads just yet. With the economy being as crappy as it is, it makes it hard for a lot of people to be able to afford much of anything.

In the end though, I'll have to wait until CR starts their streamming of videos from TTV. I will say this, if their quaility sucks, or if they overload the anime with Advertisments, I'll be pissed and flame the hell out of them.
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the final show is Net Ghost Pipopa which kinda seems odd considering it has no fanbase...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Fansubs are slow for Net Ghost Pipopa but it is debatable whether that is because it has "no fanbase" or the reason for it. I don't believe it is my kind of show either way, but then neither is Shugo Chara.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3