• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spring 2012 Season: Postmortem

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
This thread is an attempt at a “master thread” for the season. One thread to talk about the season as a whole from preview to postmortem and only the subtitle will change. I’ll index the different sections as I change the title, as well as link to threads for the shows that members create dedicated threads for.

Sections (hot-linked as they happen):
Preview and Anticipation (Starts with the second post)
In Progress
Postmortem

ANN Spring 2012 Season Spotlight

ANN Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide and Talkback thread

Charts:
Neregate Spring 2012 Anime Chart v. 3
Neregate Spring 2012 Anime Chart v. 2
Neregate Spring 2012 Anime Chart v. 1

Squidoo spring season preview

and the Countdown Anime resource is always a good way to see what's coming up and when. Countdown Anime

Accel World |Main Thread|

Acchi Hocchi |Main Thread|

Aquarion Evol |Main Thread|

Bodacious Space Pirates |Main Thread|

Dusk maiden of Amnesia |Main Thread|

Eureka Seven AO |Main Thread|

Fairy Tail |Main Thread|

Fate/Zero|Main Thread|

Haiyoru! Nyarunai! / Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos |Main Thread|

Hiiro no Kakera |Main Thread|

Is This a Zombie? of the Dead |Main Thread|

Jormungand |Main Thread|

Kids on the Slope |Main Thread|

Knight in the Area (Area no Kishi)|Main Thread|

Lupin III: ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna~ / A Woman Named Fujiki Mine |Main Thread|

Medaka Box |Main Thread|

Mysterious Girlfriend X |Main Thread|

Natsuiro Kiseki |Main Thread|

OZMA |Main Thread|

Recorder and Randsell |Main Thread|

Saki: Episode Side A |Main Thread|

Sankarea |Main Thread|

Sket Dance |Main Thread|

Space Brothers |Main Thread|

tsuritama |Main Thread|

Zetman |Main Thread|

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 am; edited 9 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
As always, there's an early chart for the next season as soon as the current one starts.

Neregate Spring 2012 Anime Chart v. 1

So far it's predictably barely compiled, mostly just some confirmed sequels.

Early thoughts....

I guess it's nice to see Eureka 7 back, it's a universe that can use more exploring.

aw, I was hoping for more of the proper Saki series, guess I'll take a side story though.

That AKB0048 description makes me laugh.

...Two anime Zombie comedies? Okay, I'm getting the complaints about over saturation now ...still going watch them both though,

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is obviously very preliminary so this comes with a grain of salt. However...

More Fate/Zero is good (although that's a continuation rather than an actual new show).

Uchuu Kyodai certainly is unusual looking and also pretty vague as to what it'll actually be about. It also looks like it will have pretty bad CG art. Who knows though. I'll at least keep that on my radar pending further information. Zetman and Train Hero I'll keep an eye on too just on the off chance that they're not sentai/shounen shows although I doubt it given the name and/or mention of "transformations". Nothing I really have high hopes for though.

On the bright side, I don't see the noitaminA shows on there (or at least I sure hope not) and those are usually the shows I actually like these days. Hopefully I'll find something to watch there again once Guilty Crown/BRS end.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that the picture used for Uchuu Kyodai is pretty terrible but hopefully not indicative of what the show will look like. And the story itself does sound different enough that it could be worth watching even if the art is horrible.

So far it's the only thing there that really sparks my interest. But it is still early so hopefully that will change. I haven't had a new anime really spark my interest since Usagi Drop (though I am belatedly catching up with Chihayafuru).
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see that the second season of Kimi to Boku is coming so soon!
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for the AKB48 anime since it was announced. I'm completely shameless in my promotion of the group to my friends, and since they have Mayuyu voicing one of the characters, they got me hook, line and sinker. As an anime, it's going to be godawful, but for pure fanboy indulgence? Delicious.

Beyond that, Medaka Box is a shoo-in since, y'know, Gainax and all. Uchuu Kyoudai looks like one of those pleasant surprises, the summary doesn't make it sound great but I think it'll have a good bit of substance. Maybe Sankarea too.
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
i'm really excited about next season, this season is a bit of a washout but next season i can already pick out plenty of titles i've been looking forward to since their first announcements:

Fate/Zero - loved the first half, but now it's gonna get real exciting
Kore wa Zombie Desuka? Jigoku-hen - been waiting for this for awhile now, a well deserved sequel
Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean - sequel, i haven't seen the first series but it is my next series to watch so if it lives up to expectations, i'll be seeing this one too
Accel World - this and Sword Art Online and my big two new series for the rest of the year, i absolutely love any kind of cyber series (GitS etc.) so i'm thrilled they're both 2-cours and they're being spaced out, so from April onwards i'll always have something to see for the rest of the year
Medaka Box - read it, so i'll watch it
Sankarea - same as Medaka Box
Tasogare OtomexAmnesia - heard nothing but good things about the manga, so i've held off reading it even since this was announced so i could watch it without knowing what'll happen

as well as the 7 i'm definitely watching, i might try out Zetman, Shining Hearts and Hiiro no Kakera, they look interesting enough to warrant at least a couple of episodes each as a try-out

also, whats the deal with Train Hero? apparently its a 26 episode CGI series and will have a movie accompanying it but i have no idea if this is true or not? does anyone have any reliable info on it they can share? the guide isn't exactly helpful on it without a pic

so yeah, super psyched about next season, might be as good as Fall 2011 if the series i watch live up to expectations, although i don't know how much good stuff will be added, most of the series announced on the guide are the big, hyped series with the big budgets so i'm not sure much else good will turn up, although hopefully a couple of sleepers appear later on
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
On the bright side, I don't see the noitaminA shows on there (or at least I sure hope not) and those are usually the shows I actually like these days. Hopefully I'll find something to watch there again once Guilty Crown/BRS end.

the noitaminA shows aren't on there but i know one is definitely an adaptation of Sakamichi no Apollon and the second may possibly be an original series called Tsuritama, i don't know when this one is airing though, it may be a summer title or a spring title, they are announcing more details about it in 2 weeks though (Feb 2nd), so i guess stay tuned for that

also, may i recommend this site: http://www.squidoo.com/anime-season-spring-2012
its another pre-season listing site but it keeps the newest avaliable version of the preview chart at the top of the page as well as a section for each anime, keeping up to date info on studios, confirmed series lengths and airing dates as well as the newest avaliable trailer for each series and a poll to find out what's got the most hype and interest going into a season, i use it all the time and wondered if anyone else would find it useful

Last edited by Volibear on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

Beyond that, Medaka Box is a shoo-in since, y'know, Gainax and all.

It's also written by NisiOisn of Bake fame. That's the only series, so far, in the last that's a must watch.
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
If Uchuu Kyodai isn't just another cash-grab advertisement for the movie of the same name, it'll probably be somewhat worthwhile

Maybe even as worthwhile as Zetman if it holds up as an adaptation with decent animation. (I wonder if Zet can grab a fanbase as big as Tiger & Bunny's, despite only being tangientally related? Seeing the manga licensed would be nice, at least.)

Keanu Reeves Ao and Accel World are on the 2nd tier.

More Fate/spoiler[MAGIC-INFUSED GUNS AND VEHICLES and UNABASHED BACKSTABBING], Zombie Deskcar, and Kimi to Boku are all fine by me.

Sakamichi no Apollon's art seems like a redux of something else that was trying real hard to be high concept, but that's another thing entirely. The only summary I can find gives me the odd impression that it'll be something like Chihayfuru except with Jazz instead of Karuta.

Sankarea and Tasogare Otome Amnesia airing in the same season is still kind of surprising. Where's my Franken Fran anime?

Shining Hearts might be cool, I like bread.

AKB0048 would be the dumbest anime of the year, if it weren't for...

Medaka Box, greatest worst anime of the year, all years. Heck, it's even an adaptation by Gainax, so it'll be like a trainwreck from hell, sans mecha and CLAMP designs, personified
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
I'll give Hiiro no Kakera a go, because I don't know enough Japanese to play the game...
Medeka Box looks like it could either be amazing or a trainwreck, but I'm always up for a Nisioisin and Gainax trainwreck.
AKB0048 looks very silly, so here we go.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
Make no mistake guys, the AKB effort will be terrible. It's just a companion piece to an insanely popular idol group, its actual merit as an anime is questionable. Despite this, Satelight are onboard, I assume to lend it some credibility. It'll do extremely well in Japan because you could write AKB48 on the back of a used tissue and people would buy it.

I find the idol group in question fascinating so that's why it's a must-watch for me. I'd recommend checking out the group on youtube first so you know what sort of thing you're dealing with. The whole marketing scheme and the way people buy into them is just an incredible phenomenon.

Here, have a NSFW video to lighten up your day. Vid is related.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
I know it's early but from the list only three things catch my eye.

Accel World - Could be interesting.
Medaka Box - Seems interesting to me, I will give it a chance.
Uchuu Kyoudai - I like outer space so maybe this will be something different to watch.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Beyond that, Medaka Box is a shoo-in since, y'know, Gainax and all.

Just so you know, it's not A-Team Gainax like Imaishi or Masayuki. It's directed by the guy who did He is My Master and This Ugly, Yet Beautiful World. So if you're expecting something along the lines of Panty and Stocking, FLCL, or TTGL, don't.

Then again, we don't know the entire staff, so there could be some episodes that look like typical Gainax if they bring Sushio or Imaishi in from Studio Trigger to do a few episodes. I still wouldn't expect that typical, high-flying, awesomeness like most usually associate with Gainax. Especially if NisiOison is writing it, because then it'll be more talky than action-y.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
You've said it yourself, the mere fact that it's Gainax means we don't know what we're going to get, and it definitely warrants a watch as a result of that. It could be a stinker, but it could be completely awesome.

I'll pick it up with no preconceptions, judge it the same way I'd judge any other show. I always pick shows off those crappy charts based on the studios involved though, just force of habit I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5