• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gakuen Alice Litebox DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
I remember watching this show on Animax Asia with english dub. The dub was kinda hit or miss.
Loren Leah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
The review seems a bit down on this show, but I really do think it's a great kids' series. This is the sort of thing that got me hooked on anime late in elementary school -- kid friendly goofiness mixed with a serious ongoing plot that doesn't talk down to either the young characters or the audience. (And well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a fan of Gakuen Alice myself as a very-much-not-in-elementary-school adult... the anime serves as a nice teaser for some of the very serious, genuinely harrowing drama the characters get into in later volumes of the manga.)
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Loren Leah wrote:
The review seems a bit down on this show, but I really do think it's a great kids' series. This is the sort of thing that got me hooked on anime late in elementary school -- kid friendly goofiness mixed with a serious ongoing plot that doesn't talk down to either the young characters or the audience. (And well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a fan of Gakuen Alice myself as a very-much-not-in-elementary-school adult... the anime serves as a nice teaser for some of the very serious, genuinely harrowing drama the characters get into in later volumes of the manga.)

I agree. I thought that this was a nice little show especially for kids. Even as an adult, I find it to be entertaining. I can understand people have different preferences but a D+ feels a little low.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it really would take a viewer with superhuman abilities to sit through this.

Awesome! I'm Superman! Any excuse to run around in my underwear and a cape I guess Wink

I do think the grades were a bit harsh. But, it basically boils down to one man's trash is another's treasure. I don't think Gakuen Alice was a masterpiece or anything, but it was plenty entertaining for me, and really cute. And that's really enough for me to get enjoyment out of the show.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
No it does not deserve a D. It is just really stupid and rather moronic they made an anime based on 6 or so books of 26 novels. I know the purpose might have been " hey go read the manga to see what happens next"...but really the anime explained nothing of the core plot.

The manga is fantastic actually one of the best series I have read in a very long time.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
I really loved this series way back when I first watched it. Just recently bought Nozomi's original release when it went on one of their Christmas sales, so I'll be revisiting it at some point to see what I think now. I don't think I'll come close to agreeing with that rating regardless, though. Oomori Takahiro has worked on a very interesting variety of anime, and while some of them are more of a favorite for me than others, I don't think anything he's directed (that I have seen, at least) has ever been bad or even mediocre.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
I remember watching this show on Animax Asia with english dub. The dub was kinda hit or miss.

Despite the fact that it's very true that Animax Asia dubs are hit/miss, is there a reason why we never seem to get them stateside? I'm really referring to the dubs that were comissioned to air on Animax Asia where there was no Stateside release, obvious example is Gakuen Alice which I'd like to hear just for the novelty of it, other less obvious example Nodame no Cantabile which never got any kind of release here and had an excellent dub that only aired on Animax Asia. Perhaps that's a question for a different time...

As for Gakuen Alice, it's definietly not a masterpiece, and the art was definitely horrendous, but it was a really fun watch. My only gripe is they never actually animated the parts of the manga when things really started to get good. Oh well.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Despite the fact that it's very true that Animax Asia dubs are hit/miss, is there a reason why we never seem to get them stateside? I'm really referring to the dubs that were comissioned to air on Animax Asia where there was no Stateside release, obvious example is Gakuen Alice which I'd like to hear just for the novelty of it, other less obvious example Nodame no Cantabile which never got any kind of release here and had an excellent dub that only aired on Animax Asia. Perhaps that's a question for a different time...

I think I read somewhere once that Animax dubs generally aren't included due to licensing issues. Even if the dub is produced in North America, it's still made specifically for Asian audiences. I think because of that, if a company wants was to license a title like Nodame Cantabile or Gakuen Alice for North American release then they aren't allowed to license the Animax dub. Also, I think it comes down to the fact that Animax paid for the dub, so they have the rights to it, and not the company who is licensing out the anime. If Animax only wants the dub to be shown to Asian audiences, then there's not much a North American licensor can do about it. That's also probably why Nozomi's release of Emma didn't have the Animax dub made for it, either.

Finally, I think that was probably why Nodame Cantabile was taken down from Crackle, since it was showing the English dub that was made specifically for Animax Asia. Kurozuka's dub, on the other hand, looks to be produced for all Animax-related services, which is why we can watch it on Crackle.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

I think I read somewhere once that Animax dubs generally aren't included due to licensing issues. Even if the dub is produced in North America, it's still made specifically for Asian audiences. I think because of that, if a company wants was to license a title like Nodame Cantabile or Gakuen Alice for North American release then they aren't allowed to license the Animax dub. Also, I think it comes down to the fact that Animax paid for the dub, so they have the rights to it, and not the company who is licensing out the anime. If Animax only wants the dub to be shown to Asian audiences, then there's not much a North American licensor can do about it. That's also probably why Nozomi's release of Emma didn't have the Animax dub made for it, either.

Finally, I think that was probably why Nodame Cantabile was taken down from Crackle, since it was showing the English dub that was made specifically for Animax Asia. Kurozuka's dub, on the other hand, looks to be produced for all Animax-related services, which is why we can watch it on Crackle.

There was a dub for Emma too? What a bummer. That's pretty lame, you'd think they could come up with some sort of agreement so that a version of their dub could be shown here (also I'm glad I caught most of the Nodame dub on Crackle, since it was the the best one of their dubs I've ever seen). What's worse is it's extremely hard to find clips from Animax dubs. Double bummer. I do wonder why though the Rurouni Kenshin animax dub is still streaming on Crackle. It's not as good as the US dub, but again the novelty of it is still worth a look.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it regardless, but then again, I often prefer kids shows. I liked it enough to buy the R2 dvds since I didn't think it was going to get picked up here. Smile The first time I saw it I thought it reminded me of sort of a Clamp Campus/X-men crossover. I love the manga too. To each his own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

There was a dub for Emma too? What a bummer. That's pretty lame, you'd think they could come up with some sort of agreement so that a version of their dub could be shown here (also I'm glad I caught most of the Nodame dub on Crackle, since it was the the best one of their dubs I've ever seen). What's worse is it's extremely hard to find clips from Animax dubs. Double bummer. I do wonder why though the Rurouni Kenshin animax dub is still streaming on Crackle. It's not as good as the US dub, but again the novelty of it is still worth a look.

I think the Nodame Cantabile dub might have a chance to appear in the US since it was Sony not Animax that did the dub. And since Sony also did the Blood+ dub and was release in the US, there might hope for the Nodame Cantabile dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1