• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Presidential Candidate Cain Quotes More Pokémon at Rally

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blarg01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I was so waiting for him to sing Gotta Catch 'em All with the choir. So much disappoint.
zeonozero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
There is only so much you can talk about Pokemon before people stop taking you seriously...
Well maybe Japan will like it if he gets elected
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, compared to the other candidates, I'd take Mr. Cain any day. Would be awesome to see a president who knows about anime and maybe even watches anime? Would do wonders for the overall image of anime fans.

Also, he worked in a Pizzeria and if I my memory serves, the food of choice for Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles was pizza. That was my favorite show back in my youth.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I feel that I should point out that the likelyhood of Herman Cain becoming the Republican nominee for the Presidency is somewhat less than an affordable, complete and English dubbed release of Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Mutineer's Moon actually being made. He pretty well killed his campaign off after a scandal in December.

He's just having fun with his image here and playing along with a rather elaborate satire of American campaign finance and advertising laws. I loathed him as a candidate, but good on him for at least this.

Sometimes it seems that politicians can only be anywhere near interesting or cool when they aren't involved in politics. Then again, winning office requires believing that one deserves the acclamation of large numbers of people and the concomitant power and influence, essentially being an arrogant sociopath, so I suppose nobody's personality survive that.

DEMMMMMMOOOOCRRRRRRACCCCYYYYY!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
zeonozero wrote:
There is only so much you can talk about Pokemon before people stop taking you seriously...

Well, he's on Colbert's Show, and he's no longer a candidate for now, so he wasn't going for seriousness.

Besides, he can only talk about Pokemon so much before people just stop caring that it's from Pokemon.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

He's just having fun with his image here and playing along with a rather elaborate satire of American campaign finance and advertising laws. I loathed him as a candidate, but good on him for at least this.

Pretty much this.

For this he more or less acted as a proxy for Colbert to be voted. Few people will go out to something they don't really care about just to have some fun with him though. Jon Stewart should announce his running for president with colbert as his running mate. I would love it.

It's a shame Herman Cain had to drop out; I'll miss hearing about all of his scandals. Now the only jokes are about Gingrich, and I would like some variety.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
The reason he chose to use a quote from Pokemon is probably because he assumed that the source was too obscure for anyone to figure out where it was from.

If he made that lapse in judgement over pokemon, I think it's safe to assume that he is not someone who watches anime.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Oh, gosh. XP Is it really that bad that I was actually singing the song in my head when he was quoting it?

It's times like this that makes me wonder how big of a geek I am...
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
I don't care what anyone says or thinks, I am absolutely loving all this Laughing .

Ah~
The nostalgia~
TwistdKarma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
I was there. Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
peachsncreamsoda wrote:
I don't care what anyone says or thinks, I am absolutely loving all this :lol: .

Ah~
The nostalgia~

Same here, I mean this is a pretty rare situation to say the least. I think this is fair to say this is a once in a lifetime event we are seeing.

As a kid, I watched Poke'mon for a while, so this just hilarious to me.

This is coming from a person that straight up, finds politics entirely boring.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
How about we find a better source than Hulu?
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
What we need now is Santorum singing Dango Daikazoku.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
I've been wondering if Cain quoted the song because he's into Pokemon or if it was because he's into Donna Summer. I'm going to guess it's the later.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
I *love* Stephen Colbert and the attention he's (hopefully) brought to the ridiculousness of Super PACs.

I have some questions for Mr Cain:
1.Do you fight evil by moonlight?
2.Do you win love by daylight?
3.Do you never run from a real fight?
Because you may never become president, but one day you could become Sailor Moon!

(Actually, Stephen would make a better Sailor Moon than Cain. Cain can be Sailor Jupiter or something.) Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2