• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mononoke to Screen at Montreal's World Film Festival

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sephiroth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Good that they are gonna show this movie, but in French? Thats just stupid. anyone else thinks so?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote
*Gasp!* Who's ever heard of people speaking French in Montreal!? Anime exclamation

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Lucky canadians, Evil or Very Mad , I would love to see Mononoke on a big screen but Montreal is a bit too far to travel *understatement*.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Sephiroth wrote:
Good that they are gonna show this movie, but in French? Thats just stupid. anyone else thinks so?

Umm... Montreal happens to be french, so no, I don't think its "plain stupid."

English or French is completely acceptable in Montreal. Plain stupid would be showing it in Swahili.

-t
Sephiroth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm just saying that French just doesnt fit the movie, you don't think they dub everything in Swahili do you? It makes a lot more sense to sub it French with a English or Japanese dub.
Just look at most reviews on this site, most of em say the dub version (English there) is just wrong with the series.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Sephiroth wrote:
I'm just saying that French just doesnt fit the movie

This doesn't make any sense. As long as the dub is accurate it will work in any language. Most people who complain about the English dub are just unhappy with the voice actors.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that like Mononoke's dub more than the sub? Disney did a great job on it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:01 am Reply with quote
Sephiroth wrote:
I'm just saying that French just doesnt fit the movie, you don't think they dub everything in Swahili do you? It makes a lot more sense to sub it French with a English or Japanese dub.
Just look at most reviews on this site, most of em say the dub version (English there) is just wrong with the series.

The french version is fine. You get the International version for the movie with the Japanese Region 2 3-disc set, and the INternational version contains 8 2.0 audio tracks, each with different languages (no swahili though Wink ). Each language sounded good, and worked fairly well. A dub can be good AND bad, depending on the budget, actors, directors, availability, and what not. Infact, it's said that Miyazaki (director of Mononoke) preffered the French Audio on Porco Rosso (another one of his films) compared to the Japanese version. The French version starred Jean Reno (I think). Then again, that could be to do with setting and what not, but whatever.

The point is, if the film is easily adaptable into the countries own Language (Being Canada, is French dominant? I assume it would be, but...), then it will happen. Cartoons are easy enough as they ARE just mouth-flaps (with certian exceptions, things like Spriggan and Akira, where the mouths were animated after the initial Japanese recordings. This is somewhat unusual for an Anime), where as Live Action films (well, from an Australian point of view) are simply shown subtitled as the Vocal Characteristics of the character/s on screen are also part of the Actors themselves and what they do/perform.

So in essence, simply because it has been dubbed into French won't make it terrible in any kind of way, it will simply offer an alternative to those who wish to hear it in their own language, which is really the more natural way to watch Cartoons and what not.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Sephiroth wrote:
I'm just saying that French just doesnt fit the movie, you don't think they dub everything in Swahili do you?

Why would French not fit the movie and English Fit it?

BTW, Mononoke was dubbed & released in France where it made about $1.5 million. That's 75% what it made in the North America (USA+Canada) in a country that has 20% the population.

Quote:
It makes a lot more sense to sub it French with a English or Japanese dub.

While dominantly Francophone, Montreal has a very significant Anglophone community, and a lot of people will also travel from out of province for the festival (its a big festival). The best way to appeal to the most people is to show movies in French with English subtitles.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
(Being Canada, is French dominant? I assume it would be, but...),
Nope. French is Dominant in Quebec (including Montreal), but in the rest of Canada English is dominant.

As a Country, Canada is officially billingual, several provinces are official billingual (while they are dominated by English) several are officialy English, and Quebec is officially French. Despite being the most billingual place in Canada, the only official language in Quebec in French. Its somewhat stupid, but the reasoning behind it is very easy to understand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1