• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Borders sucks

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gzilla04

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I went on the borders website and searched for Tench GXP volume 5. I found it and was able to se if the movie was in stock. It said it was so I went to my Borders today. But I couldnt find it so I went on one of there computers in the store. I found GXP v 5 and it said it was in the store. So I looked once more but still couldnt find it. So I asked one of the front desk people for help. On there stupid computer it says that the movie isnt there. They need to update this crap. I no that the movie didn't get soled out on the first day at borders. Dont ever get anything from borders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
~Dreamer~

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Um...do you mean "don't buy anime from Borders" or "don't buy anything from Borders?" Okay, I have to admit, I have a couple issues with the Borders computers, but seriously, the Borders in my town has lots of books...it's mostly where I get my manga ((there's no where else I can find! Embarassed )) Plus, I get a lot of my fantasy books from there. Also, they usually have a pretty good stock of the series I like. Finally, why don't you get a Tenchi Muyo! GXP somewhere else? Just because they were mistaken on one dvd doesn't really mean you should say 'borders sucks.'
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quote
So thier website was incorrect about the listing of on niche market DVD, and thus they suck?

Sorry, that dog don't hunt. I buy most of my music and manga at Borders and I have absolutly no complaints whatsoever. In fact, they sometimes disregard street dates, and I have a volume before anyone else I know.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
I used boarders for books. I don't see why they suck because thier website isn't updated as fast as you wanted. Don't be so immature.

Get your anime at bestbuy, frys or better yet online where it's cheaper.
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah I know the anime selection sucks. I rember I saw the one at Union Square oh man, I think it only had like ten and the one at Stonestown too though not as bad. Thank god I live in San Francisco (though oddly engogh I ussly shop at Best Buy not Japan Town because of prices)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:23 am Reply with quote
Well the thing to remember about checking stuff online/in-store is that the database is usually not updated until midnight, while the local in-store database may/may not be updated throughout the day. So if you looked online and it said it was available, but let's say they only had one actually in-stock, and then someone comes in and buys that 1 at 9:00am, it will still say they have it online until midnight, when the database is updated. The in-store database for many a store is updated at the same time the corp one is, which is why you can usually get a n00b worker at a store to run around trying to find something that it says they have 1 in-stock on the computer.

Also, I don't see why they couldn't sell out of it. I don't know about your Borders, but the ones here don't cary but maybe one or two of a volume of any series.
qollocust

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:35 am Reply with quote
Most of the time the bookstore websites will have a larger selection than the actual store, that's why I usually just order all my stuff.

My local Borders is quite excellent in the manga selection. They have a much larger section than at the Barnes & Noble a block down the street. If they only had a discount card program.... (the Barnes & Noble one greatly helps in my manga purchases).

Also, DVDs at Borders tend to be expensive and in small quantity, so I reccommend just going to Best Buy.
mmxzero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:12 am Reply with quote
I go to Border for manga only, but now I order mangas through a comic shop. As for DVDs I get them in Sam Goody or Best Buy.
gzilla04

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:35 am Reply with quote
I guess I did jump the gun saying that "Borders sucks." I just want that dvd so bad. I reserved a copy at borders so I should get it within like 7 days or something. But the lady said that they are expecting a shipment of dvds anytime so I could get it alot sooner. But if it is at BestBuy before I get a call from borders about it being there I will get it from Bestbuy.

One last question. Why isnt Vol 6 of GXP on bestbuy.com yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kanae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:51 am Reply with quote
Hey, I can sympathize, man. Sometimes you want something and you're just pissed it's not there. Doing a bit of a rant is absolutely fine in my books, so long as you just get it out of your system and don't obsess on it.

Borders' computers seem to be a bit schizophrenic... 3 different lookups on the same item on the same day gave me 3 different results. (One lookup online, one on the in-store computer, one on customer service's computer).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:06 am Reply with quote
There anime they carry there is usally really expensive except I preorder the second disc of Oh my goddess and it was $17 instead of $25 and like barners and noble if you go online theyll have the vhs version and sometimes the laser disc version but who still has a laser disc player? For some reason borders cant get jubei chan the ninja girl cause its out of print and i wanted attack the gas station the movie and they had online saying they could order it and when I went to to store they said it wasnt available and I couldnt get it. They also only have certain titles and certain volumes. Like saikano they had the first voulme for $24 good price but not the second volume and about the only series u can get every volume for that they have in stock is Reign the Conquer for some reason I guess people do like that one
gzilla04

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:32 am Reply with quote
I finally Got Volume 5 of GXP today. I went to my borders on Tuesday to reserve a copy of it. And today my order came to the store so I went and got it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1