• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Robot Monsters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
Quote:
..it really sounds like the mercenary guy is played my Cam Clarke. No one else has pointed this out though, so I'm afraid I'm wrong.

I'm not sure who Cam Clarke is, but I actually thought the mercenary guy really really sounded like it was Troy Baker. I'm like, 90% sure and very curious if it is.

A veteran voice actor, probably best known in the gaming community for playing Liquid Snake in the Metal Gear series and Kratos in Tales of Symphonia. But yeah, I'm pretty sure Troy is doing the unknown guy's voice.

Anyway, on to other stuff:

Katawa Shoujo: Todd, you are saying the kind of crap ignorant people say. You're two steps away from being that idiot woman who criticized Mass Effect despite never playing it. No, it's not fetishizing anything and the writing is very good. What's kind of amusing is the illustration that inspired the game was by Raita Honjou, the character designers for Valkyria Chronicles.

RE6: Looking forward to this as I like the idea of three separate routes. What's funny is I made an idea for an RE JUST like this.

FFXIII-2: Too bad they didn't fix the BIGGEST problem with XIII: the god awful writing and story telling. Seriously, it was PAINFUL to hear great VA's like Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, and Ali Hillis spout that terrible dialogue and havbe to trudge through the worst narrative in the series since FFVIII. Toriyama poisons and destroys anything he touches as evidenced with Front Mission: Evolved killing the franchise and 3rd Birthday having some of the most sexist overtones I've ever seen in a game.

SCV: Long time fan of the series. I can't wait to see how newcomers like ZWEI and Viola play as well as learning what's been up with everyone else (like who fathered Hilde's kids)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
I'll never get the amount of hatred FFXIII has got. I could definitely see why some people wouldn't like, but being enough to make some people give up on the series?

I blame the rise in popularity of mindless shooters. The more casual frat-boy gamers who just play Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo. "Too much story, not enough killing things" and all that. This generation ushered in a lot of new faces to gaming, not only from those shooters, but also the Wii's casual crowd grabbing thing. So while a generation ago people loved JRPGs just fine, the same people still love them, there's just more people in the room now so it might be perceived as different. FFXIII still sold well (better than some other FFs even), so yeah, it's just a vocal minority complaining about them, don't worry about it.

GVman wrote:
That's completely the opposite of how I feel about the characters, the narrative, and Hope. I don't see how he's anything similar to Jar Jar. I also don't see how the narative is "jumbled". The plot seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Agreed. The only time I can see the narrative being slightly confusing is the flashbacks to the days before the present events are occurring, but that's reaching. Especially for an anime fan who's used to creative and unconventional narratives (Haruhi was a lot more unconventional) And comparing Hope to Jar Jar is laughable hyperbole.

Last edited by TitanXL on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Kawato Shoujo: I wondered why this game was number one on GameFAQs. I admit I know next to nothing about it, but after reading the premise you put here I have a fair idea. People with disabilities are often a rare subject in games (and when they do show up in them, it's usually as an NPC you spend little time with). I likely won't play it, but I'm sure people are enjoying it.

Tokitowa: The presentation looks excellent for this. Toki's dragon is also awesome. :3

Heroes Fantasia: This looks like a great game, but it's Namco x Capcom all over again: we're not getting it. Too many licenses, too many characters to voice (though we dubbed them all, I imagine they couldn't get all the actors under one roof for this game) and the tagline is for RPG enthusiasts. I admit I haven't seen Louie, Orphen, My-HiME, Darker than Black or Sgt. Frog.

FFXIII-2: I really would like to get this but I'm on the fence...only due to the fact I'm in the middle of a mess of RPGs to finish currently. Key points for XIII-2 are the monster system (come on, you know you want a badass Behemoth on your side like I do) and the vaster freedom with the Crystarium. I know there's already been some intense hate for the story; I've heard comments like "a plot that seriously insults your intellect for time traveling stories" and "Why is Lightning even on the cover?". After playing through the demo twice, I just want to give it a full shot for myself.

Beatdigga wrote:
A very bad movie with unlikable characters, a jumbled narrative, and Hope, the Jar Jar of Final Fantasy.

I really don't see where you're even beginning to draw comparisons between Hope and Jar Jar, odd one. Hope develops and struggles to mature while Jar Jar is largely static in every appearance he's made.

TitanXL wrote:
I blame the rise in popularity of mindless shooters. The more casual frat-boy gamers who just play Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo. "Too much story, not enough killing things" and all that.

When I brought up shooters being mindless this one time, I got chewed out by this snarky person who said I was no different from the Westboro Church for hating on FPSs. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Seems Gust returns with more moe goodness. Interesting premise. Eventually want to hear more. Had a chance to see Tokitowa's trailer. Wow, this is an interesting mix though I can't think of any game it resembles. It's like combines all the things you enjoyed during the CD days, plus some arcade. Suddenly I'm reminded of Dragon's Lair to some degree. I need to see more since the trailer only gives you some elements. Heroes Fantasia, Branpresto the master of we can make a game out of any show that's out there. I doubt this will see a port, but that if you can still get a disc and and old PSP it's solid. Didn't expect to see My-HiME in a Branpresto game.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
GVman wrote:
I'll never get the amount of hatred FFXIII has got. I could definitely see why some people wouldn't like, but being enough to make some people give up on the series?

I blame the rise in popularity of mindless shooters. The more casual frat-boy gamers who just play Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo. "Too much story, not enough killing things" and all that. This generation ushered in a lot of new faces to gaming, not only from those shooters, but also the Wii's casual crowd grabbing thing.

I wonder what will be the next big thing once first-person shooters have plateaued. Its popularity can't last forever, can it?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
GVman wrote:

I blame the rise in popularity of mindless shooters. The more casual frat-boy gamers who just play Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo. "Too much story, not enough killing things" and all that. This generation ushered in a lot of new faces to gaming, not only from those shooters, but also the Wii's casual crowd grabbing thing. So while a generation ago people loved JRPGs just fine, the same people still love them, there's just more people in the room now so it might be perceived as different. FFXIII and FFXIII-2 still sold well, so yeah, it's just a vocal minority complaining about them, don't worry about it.

GVman wrote:
That's completely the opposite of how I feel about the characters, the narrative, and Hope. I don't see how he's anything similar to Jar Jar. I also don't see how the narative is "jumbled". The plot seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Agreed. The only time I can see the narrative being slightly confusing is the flashbacks to the days before the present events are occurring, but that's reaching. Especially for an anime fan who's used to creative and unconventional narratives (Haruhi was a lot more unconventional) And comparing Hope to Jar Jar is laughable hyperbole.

1- Yeahno. I happen to like a story in games, provided it's not an overly blase narrative like FF13. You know, the cardboard cutouts, the whiny emo kid, the general feeling nothing's accomplished. All of that, told in a way to seem artsier than it is when it's a very dumb story.

2- Maybe Hope is more similar to Superboy Prime than Jar Jar. "Wah wah wah! Life isn't fair! I'm going to kill you Snow with my whining!" Get a LiveJournal you twit. Also, Vanille likes Fang, not you you whiny emo.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
When I brought up shooters being mindless this one time, I got chewed out by this snarky person who I said I was no different from the Westboro Church for hating on FPSs. Rolling Eyes

I think because he assumed by 'mindless shooters' it was an insult to every FPS out there. Not really the case as there is such a thing as tactical shooters, it's just they're an endangered species in this day and age. Something like SWAT 4 where you moved slowly, had to actually be conscious of your surroundings and the like. That's not a mindless shooter. Mindless shooters are designed to be, well, mindless. You spawn, run in, shoot everything, die, respawn, and do it again. It's all about the death-match gameplay in multi-player. Quick respawn times to get back into the action and 'pwnz some n00bs'.

Quote:
1- Yeahno. I happen to like a story in games, provided it's not an overly blase narrative like FF13. You know, the cardboard cutouts, the whiny emo kid, the general feeling nothing's accomplished. All of that, told in a way to seem artsier than it is when it's a very dumb story.

2- Maybe Hope is more similar to Superboy Prime than Jar Jar. "Wah wah wah! Life isn't fair! I'm going to kill you Snow with my whining!" Get a LiveJournal you twit. Also, Vanille likes Fang, not you you whiny emo.

Hope got over his tiff with Snow fairly early on. By the time he reached his home that issue was pretty much resolved. Also he learned and grew from that experience and developed into a more stern character just like his mother, willing to put his life on the line to protect people and follow in her footsteps.
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
As I have noticed is the many complaints of FFXIII are in the way the game is played. Linear, yes it may be. First Final Fantasy to be linear, no it is not. I played the demo for FFXIII-2 and I loved most of it. The only things that irked me the wrong way were the action combination timing and the shopkeeper... I'm still getting it and I'm debating on getting the special edition or not...

Also, was I the only one that noticed that Heroes Phantasia was listed as Heroes Fantasia?

Tokitowa looks good.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I think because he assumed by 'mindless shooters' it was an insult to every FPS out there. Not really the case as there is such a thing as tactical shooters, it's just they're an endangered species in this day and age. Something like SWAT 4 where you moved slowly, had to actually be conscious of your surroundings and the like. That's not a mindless shooter. Mindless shooters are designed to be, well, mindless. You spawn, run in, shoot everything, die, respawn, and do it again. It's all about the death-match gameplay in multi-player. Quick respawn times to get back into the action and 'pwnz some n00bs'.

Probably, I guess I should have been more clear about which shooters I was talking about. Plus it was actually a girl who threw the remark at me.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chances of a Domestic Release: Let's put it this way. The most prominent mecha in the game is the Cybuster. The Cybuster loosely inspired its own anime series. Geneon released that Cybuster series here in 2004. It reportedly sold less than a hundred DVDs.

It's really got nothing to with the Cybuster anime (which DOES not exist at all and has no relation to Masoukishin at all other than a few names and the main mech's loose design.) I mean, The Granzon's a TANK in that! No Akashic Buster, Cosmo Nova, High Familiar, etc...

Also; ATLUS is in the way of another company localizing any SRW games. They've pretty much killed the franchise in the West because of, wait for it, lack of promotion. Also; The OGS/OGG controversy on the forum too. Could've got Masoukishin DS and Endless Frontier EXCEED but alas, it was not to be.

Heroes Phatasia is fun from what I've played so far. It's actually mildly hard (Well done, Banpresto...) which is more or less all about positioning. And hey! I resent the comment about the specials! I like them! Kazuma comes to mind, well, Kazuma and the Mai-Hime characters.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Heroes Phatasia is fun from what I've played so far. It's actually mildly hard (Well done, Banpresto...) which is more or less all about positioning. And hey! I resent the comment about the specials! I like them! Kazuma comes to mind, well, Kazuma and the Mai-Hime characters.

So, how much Japanese do you need to know to be able to play a game like Heroes Phantasia? I've just bought a PSP, and am considering starting to import.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I just got a PS3 and am like 15 hours into Final Fantasy 13. I am freaking loving it; not every game needs to be a sandbox or be about exploring. I pre-ordered the collector edition of Final Fantasy 13-2.
Eternal September

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Kawato Shoujo: I wondered why this game was number one on GameFAQs. I admit I know next to nothing about it, but after reading the premise you put here I have a fair idea. People with disabilities are often a rare subject in games (and when they do show up in them, it's usually as an NPC you spend little time with). I likely won't play it, but I'm sure people are enjoying it.

That might be a reason why it quickly spread in some gaming circles, where it was seen as a new thing, but among visual novel fans, it's not particularly exceptional. Eg.: ef has a half-blind girl with anterograde amnesia, several stories like Clannad or Kira Kira, play the "ill girl" trope almost like a disability, etc. VNDB.org lists dozens of Visual novels witht he "disabled heroine" tag as well.

It was just hyped as the first large-scale, high quality original english language VN. It's kinda like naional pride, but for weeaboos.

As in "YES! We proved it! Our boys can also make a Visual Novel around the level of Clannad, Little Sister Kana, Fate/Stay Night, and Ever 17!
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I myself can't help but be reminded of the scene in Welcome to the NHK where the main character and a friend try to make "The Perfect and most Lovable Visual Novel Heroine!" and ended up with some rediculous creation that was something like a blind/deaf/catatonic alien-maid girl.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

So, how much Japanese do you need to know to be able to play a game like Heroes Phantasia? I've just bought a PSP, and am considering starting to import.

If you want the story, yeah, you need a fair bit. However; for the actual where you need to go, there's a map button (Square) that has different icons (H-Healing, S-Saving, a red exclamation mark for current objective) The only thing you might have trouble with is increasing stats and the quest menu (which are filled as you progress). An easy way to remember it is strength, defense, charisma (used to convince and stuff like that) and AP Amount. I know for a fact that the fifth option increases base attacks of default attacks and Super moves though but I haven't bothered with anything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7