• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Robot Monsters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:

Without spoiling much, it's not that she turns out to be all un-shy; spoiler[it's more like if you try to whiteknight/"fix" her she gets pissed at your presumptuousness and you get bad end.] Read this (either after you finish the route, or before if you don't mind a few general spoilers).

Mad That was a bad analysis of Hanako. A very bad analysis.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
:x That was a bad analysis of Hanako. A very bad analysis.
Well, I never said it was a good one :D I think there's some truth to it, if it kinda misses the forest for the trees, so to speak, and doesn't really focus on what you should really focus on. It's a pessimistic and cynical analysis, but I think there's some truth int it.

Edit:
For instance, I think it's madness to disagree with this part:
Quote:
Many of the other girls have personality quirks that involve their disability but don’t rely on it to make them unique. Hanako, on the other hand, enables the typical men’s fantasy traits; by rousing Hisao’s white knight tendencies and being an extreme stereotype of a geek or nerd, she is the most palatable choice for the typical consumer visual novels and dating sims. Having this social anxiety forces the player to invest their own protective tendencies, but in a way that won’t backlash at them. In a way, the player won’t feel their own social ineptitude or inability to read people to be a hindrance because Hanako is such an extreme case.
You may, like me, feel like it doesn't apply to you, or feel like you are unfairly being lumped in with creepy otaku who like weak-willed women, but can you really look at Hanako (discounting her character development) and actually disagree with her (the author's) paragraph? I can't.

However, as we've seen, KS has been attracting FAR more than just the "typical consumer" for VNs. I think the backlash against this article is because of this.

I don't think the article wrong in its analysis of Hanako as a story element, per se, but I do think the author is wrong about how most people are perceiving Hanako. As the commenter "James" posted on the article:
Quote:
In fact, I would take great offence to the fact you think it’s a fantasy that I’m sexually attracted to burn scars, and I’d prefer my women submissive, and not “independent” (geez, I thought we were at a point in society where we’re starting to stamp our sexism). [...] Seeing Hanako happy was a perfect ending. It’s what we all wanted; not some social recluse, but seeing a girl being able to spread her own wings

Edit again:
Listening to the latest podcast now, and the discussion of fanservice kinda relates to this. Like Zac says ("You're either full of hate or emotionally immature."), this is really an issue with the viewer (the article's author) seeing what they want to see and rejecting both the common reaction and the (likely) authorial intent.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
IMO so far, Katawa Shoujo is average as far as VNs go, but it has a good story and an unique gimmick that differentiates it from other VNs.

Though I think some are making a bit too much big deal about the disabilities, whether fetishizing or otherwise. VN isn't about how real the girls act or react; girls in VN aren't anywhere near complex as real girls. VN isn't about realism - it's still about escapism. (If girls in VN act like real girls do, then most otaku wouldn't have so much trouble with them.) So people, don't worry too much how VN portray girls, just follow the stories and characters.

encrypted12345 wrote:
In other words, it's so ordinary, it's extraordinary. Something like that.

The point of KS isn't to write characters and act like real people normally do. The point is (besides being entertaining) to see how truths and lessons are wielded in the writing via the character interaction and to see what you can take away from that. There are tons of "unrealistic" things about the characters in KS, but there are also a whole bunch of things that resonate (sometimes at more of a meta/personal level) true and realistic, and that anchor into reality is one of the things that makes it special, because too often does fiction throw the entire chain overboard.

Yep, no issue with that. The situations and lessons could be realistic.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
This forum post was surprising to say the least.

An academic paper, huh?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7