• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australian Firm Still Plans Gosick, Nichijō Releases Without Bandai Ent.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
FireAza wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Australian imports ho! I've imported some anime from Madman before, so I know the way.

Wait, what's this? Siren Visual? I'd never heard of them before; I thought Madman was the only Australian anime company. And they have Dennou Coil you say?! Dagnabbit, ANN, stop dividing news into NAmerican/UK/Australian categories. I want all the world's anime news in one feed. How can you not tell me something as important as Dennou Coil being released in English?

Anyway, off I go to buy me some new anime Smile

Siren used to be a little... "Shady" back in the day. Allegedly they would sell bootlegs, and their quality was kinda crap. On their release of X, for the first few volumes, they used white subtitles, which blended in with basically everything that wasn't black. Then they went silent...

I think they had a change of ownership, and they suddenly came back with a vengeance, licensing all kinds of titles before Madman could get to them. What was interesting was that they did a lot of sub-only releases, fine with me (and most of Madman's customers too, based on the fact they show anime subtitled at conventions) since I rarely watch the dub. They've recently started quickly licensing and doing sub-only releases of new titles and releasing a dub version later, an interesting way to combat fansubbing.

I don't think the quick sub-only releases were to battle fansubs. I believe they were cases where Siren licensed the show ahead of a North American distributor, so a dub was not available. Later, when an R1 distributor like Sentai or Funi picked it up they were able to license rights to re-release the title with a dub. Like the UK in most cases, they are still very dependent on R1 companies for dubbing.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
You know those cool animations in the menu? Not in most Madman releases. Those cool extras? Mostly nonexistent. The Prices? About twice as high.

Actually the animated menus and "cool extras" are mostly gone from the majority of North American releases. Most are pretty basic now outside of the occasional art box. Our prices have been slowly creeping back up too, though they are still cheaper.

Turn the majority into all for the menus and cut of most of what little extras you get and that's what it's like in Australia. Plus our prices are also rising above the already outrageous price since most anime is only released on DVD and DVD prices are rising. Plus anime is very hard to find. It took me ages to find a copy of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya despite the fact it came out in the same month.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
A few people have mentioned Higurashi Kai being available in Australia, but at Siren I can find only Higurashi's first season, not the second. And Madman doesn't have it either. Am I overlooking something? I would so import the whole series if I could get both seasons instead of just the first.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see. We'll have to keep an eye on the Siren Visual site for the pre-order option then. Hurry up the murder mysteries! Smile
FireAza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah-ha! I knew I had read it somewhere!

This comes from one of the Madman staff on the Madman forums:
Quote:
Our titles will not be affected by this announcement from Bandai. Pretty much all of their releases that we also have were licensed via Japan directly with only a few exceptions. They also stated that they will continue to manage rights going forward so there will be no problems with existing contracts.

As for titles in the future like GOSICK and NICHIJOU, we will wait and see if another company will be releasing them. If we get word back that there most likely won't be a dub, we will go ahead and release subtitled DVDs as soon as possible.

Gundam Unicorn remains unaffected as we licensed this from Sunrise direct.

TL;DR - nothing to see here folks everything is normal. Move along.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
If Funimation doesn't license-rescue it (which I really hope they do) I may have to import Gosick from Australia. I reeeally want it. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

This is a tad late (over a year), but Madman is now listing a DVD for pre-order, to be released on 03/20/2013.

Unfortunately it's DVD only, Region 4, PAL. Since you're from Atlanta, that's going to make playing it a tech challenge. I've never researched doing that here in the USA before (I'm in NH), but I think now I'll give it a shot to see what I turn up.

Here's a link to the pre-order page:

Nichijou - My Ordinary Life Part 1 (ep 1-13), DVD R4 PAL

Madman also has epsiodes 1-13 streaming, but when I tried to play episode 1, I got a message that it was for "Australia and New Zealand Customers Only".

I have bought Manga from Madman before. Shipping took about a month from AUS to NH USA during the Christmas season no less - not too bad considering the distance and timing.

Alan Mintaka
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3