• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam 00 Premieres on U.S. Sci Fi Channel Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
Alright everyone, it's time to put boxes of tissues, earplugs or earmuffs, and being logged on your favorite forum site or blog cause if the recent dubs from Bandai Ent. have are any indication (IE: Code Geass), people are going to be bleeding out the ears and crying rivers all night long.

But then again, they might do good with the voicing so who knows. Over use of popular voice actors are to be heard tonight, I guess.

Good thing I've already seen this series so watching this will probably be a good laugh.

The anti-English dub side weighing in?
I have no problem with the English dub for Code Geass & the Japanese cast doesn't really have anyone I find all that awesome. Tobita's character was killed swiftly enough. Do we really see all that much of Wakamoto's? Sakurai is popular, but I haven't really been inpressed with any standout performances of his so he's good, but I can't pick him out & the same goes for Fukuyama. Madono is fun, but not so much in this role.
On the other hand, I love Liam O'Brien's work, same for Bosch & Freeman. Thorton, Willingham & McConnohie are very good also. There's a shrill chick voice or 2, but they're really no worse than a lot of the female Japanese VA's.

Since you seem to dislike the West Coast dub actors, you should be happy Bandai is using the Canadians/Ocean once more for a Gundam title. Brad Swaile (Light Yagami/Death Note) is Setsuna (Considering Miyano was both characters in Japan, why not?), Richard Ian Cox (InuYasha) is Allelujah & Sam Vincent (Julian/Cardcaptors) is Tieria.
As for the Japanese cast, the only one of note in the main 4 characters is Miki as Lockon. Kamiya & Yoshino have been around, but I've mostly heard them in support roles. I know I was disappointed with Ultra Maniac, but that was more the variations between the manga & the anime, but there also wasn't anything standout about Kaji. We get some names in the secondary, but considering how loaded with name talent Seed was, this cast is fairly lightweight & seems more the mode of one or 2 veterans with a bunch of newer VA's filling out the cast. More specifically, it resembles the Naruto style of filling in the secondary roles with vets.

Be happy all over the place. Really, a lot of these mech titles get a bit thin in the plot so the voice work & the art/designs are the only things to really pay attention to.

And, no. One does not have to see any past Gundams to understand the latest Gundam (from my experience) beyond the related stuff like Seed & Destiny I assume. I've seen Wing, Seed, Stardust, Char's Counter Attack, & 0080 & found most flow like fairly typical war dramas.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to try to remember this, but I probably won't.

I wish they'd start releasing the dvds at the same time, though I'm sure Sci-Fi probably wanted an "exclusivity period" of a few months. Kind of annoying, I just can't keep up with TV. I lost track of everything on AS months ago (though this was partially because of their inane scheduling shifts).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
I will be watching, but if this is a Gundam Wing re-do, I doubt I will care for it. Personally, Gundam Wing is my least favorite Gundam, at least of the ones I have seen so far (original Gundam, Zeta, Wing, both Seed series, 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team).

It basically is a Gundam Wing re-do. I really haven't been enthralled with it at all. I find nearly all the characters annoying and uninteresting. And they're all driven by what seems to be plot holes.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
snl67 wrote:
I will be watching, but if this is a Gundam Wing re-do, I doubt I will care for it. Personally, Gundam Wing is my least favorite Gundam, at least of the ones I have seen so far (original Gundam, Zeta, Wing, both Seed series, 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team).
Weird, maybe you should re-watch Wing..it's definately better than Seed

We choose to disagree then, and another viewing is not going to change my opinion. I've never understood the seeming hatred a lot seem to have for Seed, but in my opinion (of the Gundam's I have seen) the best by far was 08th MS Team.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Well it's nice to see that the rest of the US will finally get to see Gundam 00. I thought the first season was great, personally. It is too bad it takes so dang long to get the DVDs.... I would rather buy the box set for the season and put it in my collection now than wait another year - I will forget about it by then.

Ah well, in the meantime, I will play Gundam tonite on my XBox 360 in honor of this release.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to the English dub airing, given the trailers have exhibited some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard, even from otherewise very talented voice actors (even Brad Swaile is phoning it in). But, trailers are trailers, and maybe it was just samples from before the final dub for those scenes were finished.

Gundam 00 is a pretty decent Gundam series, not as good as the stronger entries from the Universal Century timeline, but at least as good as most of the others, if not a little better than some AU program (Gundam Wing, Gundam X, Gundam SEED). It's certainly a lot stronger, narratively, than Code Geass or Gurren Lagann. I think many people will find, though, that it starts off a little more slowly that those programs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
commsky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait until after the show before criticizing
wangyamaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Alright-now this is some news to hear.To tell you the truth i hardly ever watch the si-fi channel for anime but gundam-so this is something to look forward to.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I wanna watch it, but I can't! I don't like to stay up late even though I'm like...15!
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I own both Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed and Seed destiny on dvd and I have to say that after watching all of them about 3 or 4 times a peace Wing is in no way, shape, or form as good as Seed.

If people would tack the time to actually WATCH Seed they might realize that show has some rely great commentary's on things that are happening in our society today. On top of that the characters in Seed felt so much more real then those in Wing did. This may be do the the fact that the characters had a much wider rang of emotions. Like how most of the main cast broke down and started crying at least once during the show. Yes, even the two main bad ass gundam pilots.

Through my experiences with talking to other mech fans, most of them want a main characters that busts on to the scene and blows every thing away with no real remorse.

These are just my opinions of course and I don't condone listing to other people when it comes to art and entertainment. But, when I see people talking bad about Gundam Seed I get this strong urge to voice my opinion.

My only concern is that 00 may be chalked full of characters that are....well.....just characters.

Last edited by pajmo9 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru & Big Hed:
Thanks.

LuckySeven wrote:
As for the dubbing, I do wonder why more often than not that Bandai sends the dub work for their Gundam series to the studios in Canada rather than say Animaze or Bang Zoom in Los Angeles? Not important, just wondering.

Well all I can really do is guess, but I think it is a pretty good guess: It's cheaper!

Just like Hollywood doesn't film in the States very much anymore to avoid paying high taxes and higher paid talent. I would assume the same would be true for voice acting. And that probably ties in with Bang Zoom! opening a studio in China.

For the record I am not knocking Canadian studios in the least. Ocean is awesome. Just saying I think the price is better up there, that's all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Now wouldn't it be great if they actually aired it in HD on Sci-Fi HD. Unfortunately it will likely be SD which is aired on HD but as a box in a box.

Edit: And that is what it is. Upscaled SD at 1440x810 in a 1920x1080 frame aka a box in a box.

Last edited by cyberbeing on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Quote:

I own both Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed and Seed destiny on dvd and I have to say that after watching all of them about 3 or 4 times a peace Wing is in no way, shape, or form as good as Seed.

If people would tack the time to actually WATCH Seed they might realize that show has some rely great commentary's on things that are happening in our society today. On top of that the charters in Seed felt so much more real then those in Wing did. This may be do the the fact that the charters had a much wider rang of emotions. Like how most of the main cast broke down and started crying at lest once during the show. Yes, even the two main bad ass gundam pilots.

Through my experiences with talking to other mech fans, most of them want a mane charter that busts on to the scene and blows every thing away with no real remorse.

These are just my opinions of course and I don't condone listing to other people when it comes to art and entertainment. But, when I see people talking bad about Gundam Seed I get this strong urge to voice my opinion.

My only concern is that 00 may be chalked full of charters that are....well.....just charters.

I'm... I'm not sure whether I should take this at face value or just laugh uncontrollably.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
To all of those who are worried that this is Gundam Wing 2.0, don't worry. Although the initial setup is the same, there are some key differences (which I cannot get into without plastering spoiler tags all over the place). To put it simply, if you were to compare it to just one show, it would probably be Full Metal Panic. Read into that what you will.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm... I'm not sure whether I should take this at face value or just laugh uncontrollably.

Well, I like to see people happy. So you should probable laugh uncontrollable. I am sorry if offended you in any way by voicing my opinion. It was not my intentions... kind Sir.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4