• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cease & Desist Letters for Eva: 1.0, Soul Eater Fansubs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I can guarantee if the fansubbers who sub Soul Eater stop subbing it (which is not likely for a certain group) there will definitely be another group that will pick it up. Sometimes I find C&D letters pointless, because there will always be another group that decides to sub the show that was in question.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Seto no Hanayome, Seto no Hanayome, SETO NO FREAKIN' HANAYOME!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE CONFIRM IT FUNI!!!!
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Man, this one hits close to home as I've been a weekly viewer of Soul Eater. Hopefully my favorite subber didn't get hit with a C&D. I'd kill me to have to wait for the stateside releases to be able to finish.... helluva long wait that'd be. Or, as others have speculated, a legal Crunchyroll or Hulu (hulu preferred) stream would suffice, at least until I can purchase DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
Well hopefully someone will license Soul Eater sometime soon... Or maybe it will show up legally on Crunchyroll! That would be cool!
Yeah it would. If the quality was half-decent. At least on youtube there's a trick to getting it to display files that were uploaded in 720p in 720p. Crunchyroll the quality is crap no matter what u do.

720p on Youtube??

-Tofu
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
See I believe the shows that are being C&D are the ones that should be streamed on sites like Crunchyroll and Hulu, not Naruto.

Amen brother! Laughing

A lot of the series in this article are big names to me. I hope that means that we will see them in the US legally in the very near future. Seto no Hanayome is an excellent, though generally overlooked series - somebody needs to hurry up and license it! And it's been over a year since Evangelion 1.0 came out... what are the American anime companies doing, playing Sudoku and eating Cheese Nips in the back room of some 7-Eleven? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:
I can guarantee if the fansubbers who sub Soul Eater stop subbing it (which is not likely for a certain group) there will definitely be another group that will pick it up. Sometimes I find C&D letters pointless, because there will always be another group that decides to sub the show that was in question.

Except that the second sub group is usually smaller and often more LQ in their releases. But since fansubs should be used as previews only, that's not a problem is it? At the very least, once something has been licensed, you should not keep the fansubs you've downloaded. Support the system, and the system is more likely to support you.
Iridescent_Fall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This is really bad news, since I've been watching Soul Eater every week! It's not that I support illegal ways of distribution-it's just that I have no other way to watch it. (What am I going to do, take 2 years or more to learn Japanese and then come back to watching it? I don't think so.)
I think that C&D letters are foolish unless there is a valid alternative. At this point fansubs do no harm to the anime. They allow a fanbase to develop in other countries until it gets licensed (or even if it doesn't). Fansubs should be allowed until the series gets licensed. Every single fansub I've watched I've bought the DVDs for when they're available.
But, of course, nothing is that simple or logical. Rolling Eyes And too many fans have taken advantage of free anime.

Last edited by Iridescent_Fall on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
GospelX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I see people say crap like that all the time, but nobody ever posts figures. Just how much are the Japanese companies asking for a license, anyway?? Facts please.

I wish we had facts and figures to post, but I think this is all based on speculation after a statement Matt Greenfield made at a con after Manga Video had signed the licensing deal for the original Eva movies. Someone asked why ADV wasn't releasing the films, and he said something to the effect of, "Because Gainax was asking for too much ______ money." So, we expect these properties to be super expensive. Not to mention the fact that Gainax' business practices are always suspect. ADV got the license to Eva ASAP, but when Gainax released the episodes on home video in Japan, the last few had extra footage that was not at all included in the original deal - so ADV had to license a handful of episodes separately.

It really wouldn't be surprising if Gainax simply said, "The movie made this much the first week it was released. We're not letting it get licensed for a cent less than our asking price."
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Eva 1.0 already has a legit DVD version with English subs (the HK R3 release), I'm not sure that fansubs of this one have really been necessary.
shadowblack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity:
Other than Rumbel was there anyone releasing the Late Night Show (the uncut version) of Soul Eater? Or were they the only ones?
tmsidr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
Well hopefully someone will license Soul Eater sometime soon... Or maybe it will show up legally on Crunchyroll! That would be cool!

I'd prefer it on Hulu...

As I haven't liked most of the fansubs for Soul Eater (screw you Answerman, I've had 4 years of Japanese, I can tell, not to mention typos), I'd love to see Funimation release it the way they've done with Shikabane-hime.

The problem with the streaming of Shikabane-hime is, that if you're living outside the USA, it doesn't work, so the most part of anime fans who enjoy fansubs all over the world can't see it. Let's see what will happen to Soul Eater..., but I doubt that it will available without restrictions like Naruto & co at the beginning of next year. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Strange, at the moment streaming of Shikabane-hime works to Germany....perhaps I have to correct my opinion^^
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Kadokawa already sent the Cease and Desist letters out about Spice and Wolf.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
tmsidr wrote:
The problem with the streaming of Shikabane-hime is, that if you're living outside the USA, it doesn't work, so the most part of anime fans who enjoy fansubs all over the world can't see it.

My problem with Shikabane-hime is the font is this big.

-Tofu
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Crap. I sure hope someone still subs Soul Eater. I don't give a crap about C&D.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
I thought that Kadokawa already sent the Cease and Desist letters out about Spice and Wolf.

Actually, I thought that Kadokawa USA licensed the show and was looking for a distributor...Maybe I thought wrong.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11