• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cease & Desist Letters for Eva: 1.0, Soul Eater Fansubs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. If there are no plans to license these titles, what's the point?

Doesn't the very fact that so many Japanese companies are deciding to post things for on FREAKING CRUNCHYROLL mean that they UNDERSTAND that internet distribution works? This is so backwards. If these don't get picked up soon, there's nothing stopping fansubbers from going rogue-- working anonymously so that Funi won't have a site to C&D to. We don't need the community to have to resort to that kind of behavior.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
"We want to stress that though these series are not yet licensed to a distribution company in the U.S."

As I've stated before. If it's not licensed in the U.S. then FUNimation should not be sending out these orders.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
We don't need the community to have to resort to that kind of behavior.

Like hell we don't. How else am I going to watch Soul Eater? Bring on the annon-subs. Bring on the IRC.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
"We want to stress that though these series are not yet licensed to a distribution company in the U.S."

As I've stated before. If it's not licensed in the U.S. then FUNimation should not be sending out these orders.
Funimation are just being jerks. They probably don't want to invest money in certain titles but are intested in them but at the same time don't want people to watch them if it's not from them.
Tetran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Iridescent_Fall wrote:
This is really bad news, since I've been watching Soul Eater every week! It's not that I support illegal ways of distribution-it's just that I have no other way to watch it. (What am I going to do, take 2 years or more to learn Japanese and then come back to watching it? I don't think so.)
I think that C&D letters are foolish unless there is a valid alternative. At this point fansubs do no harm to the anime. They allow a fanbase to develop in other countries until it gets licensed (or even if it doesn't). Fansubs should be allowed until the series gets licensed. Every single fansub I've watched I've bought the DVDs for when they're available.
But, of course, nothing is that simple or logical. Rolling Eyes And too many fans have taken advantage of free anime.

"Fansubs should be allowed until the series gets licensed." I dont want to be rude or anything, but does that mean you're ok with them stopping fansubs because it has been licensed?
You have written a whole paragraph saying fansubs should be allowed, fair point i agree to that. they give larger fanbase, so that in the future people may buy the products as you do.
But then you go onto and say they should sub the episodes "until they get licensed" then why do you bother complaining?
According to your ideaology you shud be fine with the fansubbers stopping. The TV Companies licensed it, so it should stop?

on another note, screw funanimation liscensing anime! Mad

Last edited by Tetran on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I have no problem with companies sending out C&D letters for a series that they own, but if there is no US license yet, this seems kind of pointless. C&D letters should go hand-in-hand with announcements of a new license.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite far behind on Soul Eater (I'm watching it through my anime club at the moment) and my club is still going to show it until an actual licensing announcement takes place, so this doesn't really affect me much.

Hey, it'll make those caught up to choose among the other groups that were not hit by the C&D, so really, there isn't too much of an issue in that regard. Besides, the Japanese companies have a right to enforce their ownership rights, so while it might suck and all, you can't really fault them for it.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Ugh. If there are no plans to license these titles, what's the point?

I don't know, maybe they want to protect their titles against piracy?

I can easily believe that FUNimation sending out C&D's is sort of a corporate back-scratching move, hoping that their brownie points will turn into something profitable, like maybe first crack at the next AAA title. There's probably more to it than that, but that's a simple explanation I've thought of.

No good deed goes unpunished.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
This isn't going to stop anyone, especially when there is no legal way for fans to enjoy it.

http://www.red-ant.com.au/ProductFamily.aspx?pf=2832

Or, you know, learn japanese. No law against that.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Tetran wrote:
Iridescent_Fall wrote:
This is really bad news, since I've been watching Soul Eater every week! It's not that I support illegal ways of distribution-it's just that I have no other way to watch it. (What am I going to do, take 2 years or more to learn Japanese and then come back to watching it? I don't think so.)
I think that C&D letters are foolish unless there is a valid alternative. At this point fansubs do no harm to the anime. They allow a fanbase to develop in other countries until it gets licensed (or even if it doesn't). Fansubs should be allowed until the series gets licensed. Every single fansub I've watched I've bought the DVDs for when they're available.
But, of course, nothing is that simple or logical. Rolling Eyes And too many fans have taken advantage of free anime.

Dude, give me a break, "Fansubs should be allowed until the series gets licensed." don't mean to be rude or anything, but what u just said there? does that mean ur ok with them stopping fansubs? u write a whole paragraph saying fansubs should be allowed, fair point i agree to that, they give larger fanbase, w/e.
But then u say "until they get licensed"? then why bother complaining? according to ur ideaology u shud b fine with this happening and the rest of the series 20 odd episodes? not subbed.

I don't to be rude but your post gave me a headache. It was very hard to understand a small percentage of what you tried to say. I said "tried to say" because I can't understand wtf you were trying to say.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know where most fansubs originates from. Aren't they mostly from the U.S.? Since English is the most widely used second language in the world, it could affect non-English fansubs that translate off from English version.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
This isn't going to stop anyone, especially when there is no legal way for fans to enjoy it.

http://www.red-ant.com.au/ProductFamily.aspx?pf=2832

Or, you know, learn japanese. No law against that.
Easier said than done. and also pretty expensive.
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting for this to come up after Nyoron posted up the C&D on Eva 1.0 a few days ago.

I just wish Funi could actually crank titles out that I care about that they've had licensed for some time now. Or better yet, you just hire the fansub groups, have an ad supported download system and be more upfront with customers about costs for licenses, etc. I recognize that this would take a miracle considering how Japanese companies do things but I think it'd really get a lot more done and we'd be a lot happier about everything.
Tetran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Tetran wrote:
Iridescent_Fall wrote:

Dude, give me a break, "Fansubs should be allowed until the series gets licensed." don't mean to be rude or anything, but what u just said there? does that mean ur ok with them stopping fansubs? u write a whole paragraph saying fansubs should be allowed, fair point i agree to that, they give larger fanbase, w/e.
But then u say "until they get licensed"? then why bother complaining? according to ur ideaology u shud b fine with this happening and the rest of the series 20 odd episodes? not subbed.

I don't to be rude but your post gave me a headache. It was very hard to understand a small percentage of what you tried to say. I said "tried to say" because I can't understand wtf you were trying to say.

Does that help? i spent a couple more minutes on it. i was just confused at what he said, so i was in a rush to speak my thoughts.
Cloud992345

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I do not care about anything on there except Spice and Wolf and Evangelion
I watched Spice and wolf randomly while scrolling some website, and it is now one of my favorites. And more Eva is always welcome.
I dont have any subs for Eva, but Im keeping my fansubs for Spice and wolf till I see an actual release
Which I might buy,
even though I hate doing unless it is a good series
because I like "previewing" my anime before wasting $20+ on it.
Cool
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11