• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive Dragonball: Evolution World Premiere Pictures

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing the Dragonball fan community hates Hollywood's adaptation of the series based on the movie trailers that have been seen. It's also been said that Akira Toriyama was dumbfounded by the adaptation when he seen the movie screening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
goins007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm more interested in the after premiere pictures. Did the people come out looking dumbfounded and confused? Happy, angry? Sad?
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
It's also been said that Akira Toriyama was dumbfounded by the adaptation when he seen the movie screening.

Way to spin the truth. Rolling Eyes

Toriyama was confused by some of the changes, but was generally optimistic, and encouraged everyone to view it as a seperate entity in the DragonBall universe. And to not compare it to the DragonBall he created.

The DragonBall fan community is one of such seperation that I can't really trust their opinion. And this is comming from a person who's part of that community.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call it optimistic as much as making lemonade out of lemons.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Chris took those photos with his new Canon PowerShot SX1 IS. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
It says at the bottom of the photos page that ANN will be reviewing the movie soon? I'm excited to see what that's going to be like. I plan on seeing the movie regardless of what the review says, but It'll be nice to know what to expect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
rizu: I expect ANN to head the review with "Oh, the humanity!", unless FOX lets them have banner ads. Then it'll say, "Surprisingly faithful to the source material!" Or maybe I'm confusing them with AICN. Rolling Eyes

Edit: New U.K. spot w/ more clips, courtesy of IMDB.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
It's also been said that Akira Toriyama was dumbfounded by the adaptation when he seen the movie screening.

Toriyama was confused by some of the changes, but was generally optimistic, and encouraged everyone to view it as a seperate entity in the DragonBall universe. And to not compare it to the DragonBall he created.

The DragonBall fan community is one of such seperation that I can't really trust their opinion. And this is comming from a person who's part of that community.

But when you give it the same name and some of the same elements, you can't help but compare it. If you wanted a zero comparison situation, rename the title and everything DB related within.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Primus wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

But when you give it the same name and some of the same elements, you can't help but compare it. If you wanted a zero comparison situation, rename the title and everything DB related within.

Exactly. Let's face it, there has been only one Dragonball story in existence for many years, so if a movie comes along, it's natural to compare it. However, take something like Transformers which has had countless continuities over several decades, and it's easy to accept the movies as a new continuity (unless you're a mindless diehard "fan" who thinks it's all about G1 and nothing else).

What Toriyama's reaction should be: there was kinda this important character I don't recall seeing in the movie. He was kinda short, bald, any of this ringing a bell?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Primus wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Exactly. Let's face it, there has been only one Dragonball story in existence for many years, so if a movie comes along, it's natural to compare it. However, take something like Transformers which has had countless continuities over several decades, and it's easy to accept the movies as a new continuity (unless you're a mindless diehard "fan" who thinks it's all about G1 and nothing else).

What Toriyama's reaction should be: there was kinda this important character I don't recall seeing in the movie. He was kinda short, bald, any of this ringing a bell?

Well, if toriyama is as prone to forgetting his character's names as everyone says he is, he probably forgot a character named Krillin even existed in his world Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I am going to the theaters to see this, but as I've said many times, I'm not going to be paying the creators of this movie. I'll instead pay the ticket price for something else. I really suggest everyone do the same.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I am going to the theaters to see this, but as I've said many times, I'm not going to be paying the creators of this movie. I'll instead pay the ticket price for something else. I really suggest everyone do the same.

How does that scheme work exactly? I didn't know it was possible to pay to see one film, but then to watch a different one in its stead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea Dragonball news was an affiliate of ANN. Color me surprised.

goins007 wrote:
I'm more interested in the after premiere pictures. Did the people come out looking dumbfounded and confused? Happy, angry? Sad?

This is what I am interested in as well. I really would like to know what the Japanese thought on average. But especially those middle-aged geeks dressed in gi's. Razz

I can't get the large versions of the pictures, every time I click on a different one it acts like it will fill the page, then shrink to nothingness.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

How does that scheme work exactly? I didn't know it was possible to pay to see one film, but then to watch a different one in its stead.

Usually you just need a ticket to get into the general area where the theaters are from the lobby, and then you can free-roam. Worst comes to worst I'll explain the situation, no like anyone will care.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I never saw your previous posts on this subject. Why do you want to see it but not pay for it ?

You do know that Toei and Toriyama get more money (one way or another) if the movie is successful right ?

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5