• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Licenses Haganai School Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It's amazing how every licensing announcement is met with more complaints than happiness, regardless of who's licensing it.
So painfully true.

Really, with all the bad news the industry started out with this year, I'm happy we continue to see titles announced at all. Not every license appeals to me (most don't), but I don't feel the need to complain about titles I'm not getting. Haganai, though, I'm likely to buy, as I really enjoyed the series. FUNi is kind of variable with dubs, but I think they still do some great ones. B Gata H Kei's (which I just finished) was pretty hilarious and I'm glad I got it. It's going to be a while, but looking forward to getting Haganai when they put it out.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
All these damn recent shows that Funimation keeps licensing all look the same to me..nothing about them stands out at all.I wish they would license something that is somewhat remotely different and interesting but it seems like even that is asking for to much.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
*shrugs* Cool then. Clearly, outside of what's already been licensed, the female anime fans really shouldn't be expecting much from you guys for the next year or so, huh?

I'll go hang out with NIS then. Thanks.

In that case you ought to check out those new deluxe edition box sets they've been releasing lately - for example, Kimi Ni Todoke vol. 1 and Arakawa Under the Bridge season 1. Nice packaging, great Blu-Ray productions. I didn't realize they were turning out such nice sets until I checked out that Arakawa release.

On a second reading I realized that this message sounds like a shill. I'd better insert my Amazon review disclaimer: I'm not an employee of NIS America (I could use the healthcare plan, believe me), and I didn't get any free gifts or discounts from the cheap b*tards for giving them glowing reviews. They just make nice Blu-Rays, is all.

Last edited by AlanMintaka on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
TC-man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:
This may be the only "booby show" that I can tolerate buying from Funimation. This show was annoying a lot of times, but it was still freak'n hilarious in many parts of it also. I'm not sure if I'll get this yet.

Same here. Not that I mind the excess of boobs (or the variety of subtle and blatant upskirt shots), but it was pretty boring at times. It certainly isn't a must-buy for me. Far from it. Iceberg-paced story development, weak /dull/boring/spineless male protagonist of a harem (like the hundreds before him), excessive pool/beach episodes really ruined this show for me. On the flipside, Yozora and Sena's squabbles were really entertaining. Liked the art. And of course, Rika was pretty funny, too.

Chances of me buying this: 40%.

Which part of Kodaka (the protagonist of the show) is spineless and weak to you? On the other hand, I can say the show can be somewhat anti-climactic, although the final episode makes up for it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sweet that one is really good now they need to get K-On! second season and Hanasaku Iroha
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
All these damn recent shows that Funimation keeps licensing all look the same to me..nothing about them stands out at all.I wish they would license something that is somewhat remotely different and interesting but it seems like even that is asking for to much.

Shows like what? Apparently anime like Haganai make them more money, so they get licensed more often, while more wild concept shows don't produce much in sales, regardless if they're better shows.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Shows like what? Apparently anime like Haganai make them more money, so they get licensed more often, while more wild concept shows don't produce much in sales, regardless if they're better shows.

Plus Haganai is actually a good show with lots of acclaim, unlike a lot of the ecchi shows that they've been picking up recently. Its essentially the Ore no Imouto of 2011.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It's amazing how every licensing announcement is met with more complaints than happiness, regardless of who's licensing it.

I really have no idea what some anime fans are thinking these days. They will complain about any and everything just because they can.

In regards to the licensing, I am looking forward to owning this one day. Somehow, I get the feeling that someone at Funimation is hired to look up charts, follow hot trends, and observe anime forums.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote

Princess Jellyfish is coming out soon, that's pretty "different". Or are you talking licenses within the past month?

I'm still waiting to see who gets Mawaru Penguindrum.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sweet that one is really good now they need to get K-On! second season and Hanasaku Iroha

The first season was licensed by Bandai, so who knows where it will end up here in the USA - if anywhere.

But given that the movie version is on the Japanese Academy Awards list in the best animation category, and given that K-ON!! (they label the second season with two "!!") is also a huge hit in Japan, you'd think a USA distributor would want to get their hands on it.

I just finished watching season 1 on the Bandai discs and I'm definitely interested in seeing more. It's a great series. I like the "insert music" that has kind of a Latino beat but I don't recognize it from any of the music titles listed in the encyclopedia here. It's used in the DVD menu a lot, and also sometimes as background music. Any idea what it is?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
i knew it series was going be dub someday yet funi did it.

now wonder who funi going to cast give most of us got fantasy cast list so ready in & yea my idea who cast

Kodaka Hasegawa - Johnny Yong Bosch
Yozora Mikazuki - Michelle Ruff
Sena Kashiwazaki - Kate Higgins or Karen Strassman or Cristina Valenzuela
Kobato Hasegawa - Luci Christian
Rika Shiguma - Stephanie Sheh or Carrie Savage
Yukimura Kusunoki - Brina Palencia
Maria Takayama - Hillary Haag
opn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

The first season was licensed by Bandai, so who knows where it will end up here in the USA - if anywhere.

But given that the movie version is on the Japanese Academy Awards list in the best animation category, and given that K-ON!! (they label the second season with two "!!") is also a huge hit in Japan, you'd think a USA distributor would want to get their hands on it.

I just finished watching season 1 on the Bandai discs and I'm definitely interested in seeing more. It's a great series. I like the "insert music" that has kind of a Latino beat but I don't recognize it from any of the music titles listed in the encyclopedia here. It's used in the DVD menu a lot, and also sometimes as background music. Any idea what it is?

supposedly k-on didn't do well here i think manga uk mentioned it on twitter so i wouldn't hold my breath to see a release over here especcily with a dub.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
100% chance of buying it...in 2013/2014, at least for me. Good to know that they'll release it on DVDs/BDs.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
i knew it series was going be dub someday yet funi did it.

now wonder who funi going to cast give most of us got fantasy cast list so ready in & yea my idea who cast

Kodaka Hasegawa - Johnny Yong Bosch
Yozora Mikazuki - Michelle Ruff
Sena Kashiwazaki - Kate Higgins or Karen Strassman or Cristina Valenzuela
Kobato Hasegawa - Luci Christian
Rika Shiguma - Stephanie Sheh or Carrie Savage
Yukimura Kusunoki - Brina Palencia
Maria Takayama - Hillary Haag

Michelle Ruff, Kate Higgins, Karen Strassman, Cristina Vee, and Hilary Haag never do recording in Dallas, and Johnny Yong Bosch and Stephanie Sheh only do it on occasion.

I guess this is a good license, but it's such a short series...
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
Kohii wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:
This may be the only "booby show" that I can tolerate buying from Funimation. This show was annoying a lot of times, but it was still freak'n hilarious in many parts of it also. I'm not sure if I'll get this yet.

Same here. Not that I mind the excess of boobs (or the variety of subtle and blatant upskirt shots), but it was pretty boring at times. It certainly isn't a must-buy for me. Far from it. Iceberg-paced story development, weak /dull/boring/spineless male protagonist of a harem (like the hundreds before him), excessive pool/beach episodes really ruined this show for me. On the flipside, Yozora and Sena's squabbles were really entertaining. Liked the art. And of course, Rika was pretty funny, too.

Chances of me buying this: 40%.

Which part of Kodaka (the protagonist of the show) is spineless and weak to you? On the other hand, I can say the show can be somewhat anti-climactic, although the final episode makes up for it.

Yeah, there was that scene where he acted like a badass at the pool. Still, not far from the prototypical harem anime male protagonist to me. Kinda boring, kinda lame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4