• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Licenses Haganai School Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
KLAC wrote:
i knew it series was going be dub someday yet funi did it.

now wonder who funi going to cast give most of us got fantasy cast list so ready in & yea my idea who cast

Kodaka Hasegawa - Johnny Yong Bosch
Yozora Mikazuki - Michelle Ruff
Sena Kashiwazaki - Kate Higgins or Karen Strassman or Cristina Valenzuela
Kobato Hasegawa - Luci Christian
Rika Shiguma - Stephanie Sheh or Carrie Savage
Yukimura Kusunoki - Brina Palencia
Maria Takayama - Hillary Haag

Michelle Ruff, Kate Higgins, Karen Strassman, Cristina Vee, and Hilary Haag never do recording in Dallas, and Johnny Yong Bosch and Stephanie Sheh only do it on occasion.

I guess this is a good license, but it's such a short series...

Hilary Haag did voice a small role in Trinity Blood, but that was the only voice role she's ever done at Funimation. Acting isn't her main source of income so travels less than others. So it's not entirely impossible, just very, very unlikely.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:

supposedly k-on didn't do well here i think manga uk mentioned it on twitter so i wouldn't hold my breath to see a release over here especcily with a dub.

Um...let me see if I get this right. Manga UK released a twit saying Bandai USA told them K-ON! is not doing good in America?
I've heard the opposite actually. But I wouldn't be surprised either way. I like K-ON! but lament the horrible way Bandai has been releasing it (3 episode on each DVD/Blu-ray for 20$).
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
Just to hear Kobato's laugh on my TV makes me happy....kee, kee, kee
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
UNIVERSE!!!!!!!
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
opn wrote:

supposedly k-on didn't do well here i think manga uk mentioned it on twitter so i wouldn't hold my breath to see a release over here especcily with a dub.

Um...let me see if I get this right. Manga UK released a twit saying Bandai USA told them K-ON! is not doing good in America?
I've heard the opposite actually. But I wouldn't be surprised either way. I like K-ON! but lament the horrible way Bandai has been releasing it (3 episode on each DVD/Blu-ray for 20$).

Not Bandai's fault, everything that happened to K-On here (and in UK & Australia) were all because of TBS who has been overprotective of the franchise due to it being one of their top sellers in Japan.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
How many times does a decent show have to completely tank outside of Japan before TBS finally realizes that they don't know how to properly handle marketing to larger countries?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the point of a business is to profit off of the sale of a product/service. Why would Bandai bother licensing an anime if they weren't prepared to market and earn a profit off of it? Does TBS think they are going to spend a 3 boat loads of money on licensing the show only to let it tank for no apparent reason? Does TBS think that they can AFFORD to have it tank? Are they really that stupid?

I can understand wanting to protect your investments, but you have to allow them some breathing room or else you're just going to lose money in the long run...
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
How many times does a decent show have to completely tank outside of Japan before TBS finally realizes that they don't know how to properly handle marketing to larger countries?

I know Infinite Stratos aired on TBS as part of the TBS/Media Factory collaboration, but I don't know if they were involved in it as heavily compared to K-On!.

Infinite Stratos was an excellent seller in 2011 in Japan and the US is getting a really good release.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the point of a business is to profit off of the sale of a product/service. Why would Bandai bother licensing an anime if they weren't prepared to market and earn a profit off of it? Does TBS think they are going to spend a 3 boat loads of money on licensing the show only to let it tank for no apparent reason? Does TBS think that they can AFFORD to have it tank? Are they really that stupid?

I can understand wanting to protect your investments, but you have to allow them some breathing room or else you're just going to lose money in the long run...

You're talking about K-ON!. At this point any money thrown at the Japanese license holder would be profit for them. Also no Japanese license holder is in the anime business so that foreign distributors can make money. TBS will never care about how many shows tank outside of Japan as long as their market is Japan, distributors are the only ones that need to care about how to make a show work outside of Japan.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Not a bad series, entertaining enough, but suffered from the inconclusive ending and barely-there character progression seen in most "1-cour manga/light-novel advertisement" anime. And really, were there no other non-crossdressing males in the school who wanted to make friends? I'm far from a hater of the harem genre, but it works better with premises like "guy manages all-girls dorm," "guy has high-potential magical genes," or "guy is one of few males at a formerly all-girls school" than "guy and girl form random school club and only girls happen to join." (Or who knows, maybe the premise of the Neighbors' Club seems too girly to the average male student?)

But I have to wonder if anime's lost the ability to write heterosexual male friendships beyond the "indifferent everyman who gets all the girls + spastic horny jealous loser best friend" dynamic.

Quote:
I guess you're right though... places where it's biggest, like /a/, typically aren't buyers so it might not be a big seller.
I'd almost say that popularity on /a/ has an inverse relationship to North American sales potential, aside from a few aberrations in the form of wide-appeal, mainstream shows like Death Note. Nanoha, Higurashi, and Rozen Maiden say hi.

TC-man wrote:
Which part of Kodaka (the protagonist of the show) is spineless and weak to you? On the other hand, I can say the show can be somewhat anti-climactic, although the final episode makes up for it.
His usual harem lead blandness was par for the course, nothing out of the ordinary there. But what did annoy me about him were his many "way to just stand there" moments during some of Yozora's extended nasty and abusive berating/insulting sessions directed at Sena. I don't know if the show intended Yozora to be the more sympathetic character (being the first girl introduced, also with the spoiler[past childhood friendship connection to Kodaka)] compared to Sena's "rich bitch sadist queen" portrayal. But if it did, that intent backfired for me. Indeed, many of the verbal spates between those two girls were amusing, but sometimes things went too far. At some point, a man's gotta step in and say "Enough is enough."
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
TBS will never care about how many shows tank outside of Japan as long as their market is Japan, distributors are the only ones that need to care about how to make a show work outside of Japan.

If they didn't care, then they are they always getting so involved when other countries want to market certain anime? I don't think the problem is that they don't care but that it's that they care too much.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
TBS will never care about how many shows tank outside of Japan as long as their market is Japan, distributors are the only ones that need to care about how to make a show work outside of Japan.

If they didn't care, then they are they always getting so involved when other countries want to market certain anime? I don't think the problem is that they don't care but that it's that they care too much.

Interestingly enough, TBS is known as one of the better licensing companies to work with. That's likely why they were one of the first companies that Sentai turned to, along with Showgate. Of course, a history of several successful releases between ADV and TBS probably helped.

Last I had heard, the head of TBS's international licensing operations was in fact American and he had a better understanding of market conditions outside Japan. That's what made the K-On! situation so bizarre.

Of course, I'm also wondering if Bandai may have ended up with title because they in fact offered some ridiculous release methods and pricing to TBS with the promise of higher profits. After all, it's not like this is Aniplex who is known to intentionally "gimp" their releases in other markets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4