• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GDH Asks 50 Employees to Voluntarily Retire

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Der Brenten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Not good Confused
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
No, not 'good'- but somehow, kind of chivalric- it gives an opportunity for those who could afford to 'retire' to do so with an added bonus, as opposed to forcibly letting go 50 people who may not be able to get by.

I don't like it, but as far as layoffs go, it's a 'gentle' way to go about it.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, some drastic changes, BUT they are fighting hard to stay around for the long haul, which is good for anime fans and for the company itself. Must be hard working there trying to decide which one in 4 is going to retire early....
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Given that the "threat" of a Seto No Hanayome 2 is low, I can safely say that Gonzo can go screw themselves.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
It means anybody who had thought about leaving can leave with grace.
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
"Voluntarily Retire" to help company?

What kind of idiotic phrasing is this? Why would any sane employee care about the company that doesn't care about it's employees?

This is simply unprofessional. If the company is doing bad enough that it has to cut down its work force than do it in a graceful way. There is a way to go about layoffs. Don't make it sound like the well being of the employees is nothing compared to that of the company they helped build.

Especially if I'm understanding this correctly and the people who "retire" would not be illegible for the unemployment benefits.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Grab your glove and prepare for baseball, Proman. The correct term is: "Firing our faithful employees is the last thing we want to do. But it needs to be done since WE need to stay afloat."

You know... For me; this goes back to the time when "Arthur Smith" held the GDH sign and said that we're "the type of people who'd trip the shopkeeper who chases after the thieves."

And then; when all that money went to Crunchyroll, it was GDH who made deals with them whilst everyone else was protecting their rear ends and trashing the fansubber "community."

Add to the fact that their record had been spotty as of late... Now let's see... Vandread and Strike Witches being the most popular in Japan... Afro Samurai, Witchblade, Black Cat, and Full Metal Panic: Second Raid being the most popular anime in the West (for the summer of 2008, and in THAT order).

Never you mind that GonzoDH is part of that (late night) anime philosophy that guys should be weak, never kick butt, and be considered secondary to the hot girls (which isn't really the problem)...

And of course you'd have to ask people to leave voluntarily and "gracefully." Rolling Eyes
Shuchung

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I guess that means we can expect better things from GONZO next year
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps, I'm not optimistic, Gonzo hasn't produced anything particularly good recently.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I figured with all that money they are getting from Crunchyroll they'd be hiring 50 people. What's going on?

Bah, as long as this doesn't affect my fansubs then it has no effect on me.

sarcasm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Retiring is alot more honorable than being fired. I just hope the best for those who can't retire rite now. Boy,for all of the possible gloom and doom,Anime Armageddon talk of the past few years,We're finally getting results... EVERY OTHER DAY.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, I sure do hope GONZO dies. They've done nothing worthwhile since Gankutsuou, and Last Exile before than, and Blue Sub before that. 3 shows in over 8 years is a pretty bad record.
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
If rumors are true, it doesn't look like Murata is going to get that (presumably) anime series project.
If I had a hat I'd throw it on the ground right about now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ruremi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this is just some type of strategy to survive the current economy. I hope things end up getting back to normal in the long run. It stinks to see the company go through these hardships.

I just wish everyone there the best.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Grab your glove and prepare for baseball, Proman. The correct term is: "Firing our faithful employees is the last thing we want to do. But it needs to be done since WE need to stay afloat."

What baseball? You barely swung the bat...

The more correct "term" is:

"Firing our faithful employees is the last thing we want to do. So we would like them to do that for us."

I do, however wish Gonzo the best too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3