• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 1 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I liked Madoka but I wasn't blown away. I think the whole first half is kind of slow. I think maybe two episodes' worth of time could have been cut out without losing anything.

Still, I'd probably be interested in owning it (it's one of the few series I came out of thinking I'd like to see it again sometime) if the price weren't so terribly high. The limited release comes out to over $20 an episode!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
The limited release comes out to over $20 an episode!

But you're paying for a lot more than just the episodes. You're getting a lot of goodies, as well.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I have had my LE volume 1 on pre-order since around November...so can't wait!
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I actually bought all 3 collectors editions. I am insane, but there is no denying that is going to go on to be a landmark series. I can see it being the next Evangellion. Also it's better to have preordered them now than to look at them being up for $99999999999 online. I'm not ever going to sell them, but they will appreciate in value...

It's still a ton, but this is my way of justifying the purchase.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess with all the years of bad dubs thats been coming outs, the standards have fallen a lot...
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I pre-ordered the limited release, and I'm okay with the current $75 price tag. I am a sucker for packaging, and this has some really nice packaging, but really, it's the soundtrack that sealed the deal for me. Importing the soundtrack alone would cost me around $30, so for the combo release, nice packaging, assorted extras and soundtrack, I'm fine with the pice.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably be getting the regular edition. The extra stuff, save for the soundtrack, don't really interest me at all. I've seen magical girl deconstruction type anime before, particularly Mai Hime, which hasn't been mentioned yet, but I felt like this one was particularly well done. Some things I especially liked about it are the music, the very experimental art direction, and Homura's backstory.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I guess with all the years of bad dubs thats been coming outs, the standards have fallen a lot...

I'm not that picky with dubs. If a line is corny in Japanese when I read it, it's going to sound corny in English. There are poor Japanese actors, and there are poor English actors.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
It can be argued though that this was because I saw Akiyuki Shinbo invert the magical girl genre 8 years ago with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. I imagine the impact of Madoka would have been far more earth-shaking had I not known in advance from watching Nanoha that this would be another deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre.

Speaking as someone who never watched Nanoha (though, now that you mentioned it, I'm going to check it out), I can say that the twists and the darkness that Madoka dishes out were things I was on the edge of my seat for when I watched this for the first time. So I think those who aren't really sure exactly what to expect are going to be pretty satisfied.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Importing the soundtrack alone would cost me around $30

It would cost you a loooooooot more than that, as the soundtrack only came with three of the JP BDs. Unless you somehow found someone who only wanted to sell the CDs and was letting them go for that cheap, which seems incredibly unlikely.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
There are a few unnecessary embellishments in the dub script – “I'll have to take her out of commission” gets changed to “I'll just have to take her rookie ass out of commission” and the like,
Out of curiosity, to what are you comparing the spoken dub? More specifically, what is this "dub script" to which you refer? I'm trying to sort this out and I've come up with 3 possibilities, of which I'm not sure any are correct (Listed to aid in elucidation). Does you mean that you have a copy of an English script that was intended to be read verbatim and did not contain the embellishments? Are you comparing the dub's spoken dialogue to their translation from Japanese? The only other possibility I can think of is that you're comparing the spoken dialogue to the subtitles?

As a consummate and inveterate dub fan I try and learn as much as I can, especially when: The dub gets an A on ANN, and the dub as was featured in the preview trailer here on ANN was cacophonous IMO. Question Very Happy
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
(...) I would love to see more shows that take the genre, bend it over (...)

Princess Tutu isn't on your anime list yet? Give it a try ^^

I am reluctant on ddl atm since there is a way to buy it legally. I just lack the funds believe I really want to watch it but money is tight atm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
I pre-ordered the limited release, and I'm okay with the current $75 price tag. I am a sucker for packaging, and this has some really nice packaging, but really, it's the soundtrack that sealed the deal for me. Importing the soundtrack alone would cost me around $30, so for the combo release, nice packaging, assorted extras and soundtrack, I'm fine with the price.

Agreed. The packaging, soundtrack, bluray and other extras make it worth it.

Kougeru wrote:

Yeah, this is one that I'm going to probably not ever watch dubbed. I do have a general preference to watching subbed, but I always at least give the dub a chance. I go with whichever is superior (in my opinion), and I don't think that many people would say this dub is superior to the original.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
(...) I would love to see more shows that take the genre, bend it over (...)

Princess Tutu isn't on your anime list yet? Give it a try ^^

I am reluctant on ddl atm since there is a way to buy it legally. I just lack the funds believe I really want to watch it but money is tight atm

Princess Tutu is free on Hulu.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
The Article wrote:
There are a few unnecessary embellishments in the dub script – “I'll have to take her out of commission” gets changed to “I'll just have to take her rookie ass out of commission” and the like,
Out of curiosity, to what are you comparing the spoken dub? More specifically, what is this "dub script" to which you refer? I'm trying to sort this out and I've come up with 3 possibilities, of which I'm not sure any are correct (Listed to aid in elucidation). Does you mean that you have a copy of an English script that was intended to be read verbatim and did not contain the embellishments? Are you comparing the dub's spoken dialogue to their translation from Japanese? The only other possibility I can think of is that you're comparing the spoken dialogue to the subtitles?

As a consummate and inveterate dub fan I try and learn as much as I can, especially when: The dub gets an A on ANN, and the dub as was featured in the preview trailer here on ANN was cacophonous IMO. Question Very Happy

Comparing the spoken dialogue to the subtitles. I do that every time.

Reminder: "Overall (dub)" is the score for the show, dubbed. Not just the dub by itself. It's intended to reflect the overall experience of the show in English; really what it tells you is whether or not the English dub improves, degrades or has no impact on the overall quality of the show. I feel the show can be enjoyed in both languages (although I prefer the Japanese track).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 30