• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 1 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Veers:

As I said on another forum:

spoiler[
Both Mami and Kamina are built up to be super awesome badasses. Both play the role of mentor to the main the character (Madoka/Simon). Both are killed early on. Both of their deaths are designed to make the main character grow (Simon to actually start fighting, Madoka to be a magical girl). Both deaths are completely out of left field.

The difference is that Kamina's death is actually sad and crushing. Mami's isn't.
]

But now, I see what you mean. Maybe I'm simply looking at spoiler[Mami] the wrong way.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Actually, spoiler[I had the opposite reaction. There was so much build up in episode 3 of Mami finally having partners to be there with her that I felt destroyed by her death. She'd finally found the friend she was so desperately wanting... a good reason to live... and a party to go to celebrate with.... And then nom happens. It was like she was murdered at her wedding.]

I could not watch past that episode for months cause it hit me so hard.

I can see that... I think you even make a very apt analogy with the spoiler[wedding] thing (not to bring up anything spoiler[about yuri undertones or anything, I just mean you're right in that Mami was at a turning point in her life there]). I think those things you list really have more to do with looking at and understanding her situation and what it (and she) represent more than they do with a personal connection to her specifically.

I just mean I saw it as an outsider; spoiler[what happens is terrible, but I was more upset at the fact that it happened at all... at the unfairness of it... at how Mami died at the point when things finally seemed to be turning around for her. That kind of tragic situation that is all too real sometimes, and might happen to us tomorrow. That's what made it sad for me. I really didn't feel personally attached to Mami herself.]

Edit:
Chagen46 wrote:
Veers:

As I said on another forum: spoiler[
Both Mami and Kamina are built up to be super awesome badasses. Both play the role of mentor to the main the character (Madoka/Simon). Both are killed early on. Both of their deaths are designed to make the main character grow (Simon to actually start fighting, Madoka to be a magical girl). Both deaths are completely out of left field.

The difference is that Kamina's death is actually sad and crushing. Mami's isn't.]

spoiler[You're right about Mami and Kamina having things in common. I'm not denying that. In a way, Kamina's death too is sort of a subversion of the whole mecha/shounen mood (because for all his determination, he still died). I just think it's the wrong mindset to think of Mami == Kamina because the TTGL and PMMM are very different stories, especially in mood. In TTGL, the characters are up against an overbearing foe... they kick logic to the curb and do the impossible... but even after Kamina's death, were you ever really worried that Simon & Co. would all get BAD END and fail to do the impossible? I know I wasn't. This is in sharp contrast to PMMM where Mami's death made me feel that the possibility for everyone to fail and end up dying horrible deaths was now in fact very real.]

spoiler[TTGL is a boisterous, high energy, exaggerated, action-heavy coming-of-age story about how humanity is awesome and about how you can be awesome yourself if you try. PMMM is... not that (I won't say more for now since you haven't seen the whole show yet).

I think Kamina's death and Mami's death are both very sad, but for different reasons; the former is more "immediately" sad while the latter is more sad upon reflection.]
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Nayu wrote:
Actually, spoiler[I had the opposite reaction. There was so much build up in episode 3 of Mami finally having partners to be there with her that I felt destroyed by her death. She'd finally found the friend she was so desperately wanting... a good reason to live... and a party to go to celebrate with.... And then nom happens. It was like she was murdered at her wedding.]

I could not watch past that episode for months cause it hit me so hard.

I can see that... I think you even make a very apt analogy with the spoiler[wedding] thing (not to bring up anything spoiler[about yuri undertones or anything, I just mean you're right in that Mami was at a turning point in her life there]). I think those things you list really have more to do with looking at and understanding her situation and what it (and she) represent more than they do with a personal connection to her specifically.

I just mean I saw it as an outsider; spoiler[what happens is terrible, but I was more upset at the fact that it happened at all... at the unfairness of it... at how Mami died at the point when things finally seemed to be turning around for her. That kind of tragic situation that is all too real sometimes, and might happen to us tomorrow. That's what made it sad for me. I really didn't feel personally attached to Mami herself.]

spoiler[I believe episode 3 is where the yuri undertones do get kicked up a notch. If I remember correctly, such a relationship is brought up by Madoka's normal friend (who's name escapes me) at the very beginning of the episode. Taking that into account, and the desperation of Mami to have a partner... it isn't out of the blue to assume that what happens on the way to Charlotte's tea party is a confession in that sort of way. I don't think that the world building made by the storytellers leads Madoka to be as pure and innocent as say CCSakura and she may have meant that she'd be Mami's partner in any way Mami needed. Actually, it makes it even more heartbreaking when you think of it in these terms.]

Or maybe I'm just Chisato from Yuruyuri and my glasses have slipped off one too many times. Very Happy
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Or maybe I'm just Chisato from Yuruyuri and my glasses have slipped off one too many times. Very Happy
Yeah... maybe so... Very Happy
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Nayu wrote:
Actually, spoiler[It was like she was murdered at her wedding.]

spoiler[what happens is terrible, but I was more upset at the fact that it happened at all... at the unfairness of it... at how Mami died at the point when things finally seemed to be turning around for her.(...) made me feel that the possibility for everyone to fail and end up dying horrible deaths was now in fact very real.]

It gets even worse if you consider that Mami's (battle) theme is a totally positive upbeat song titled "(I) believe in justice" spoiler[of course it also represents her character, but it feels like pure sarcasm on the part of the creators. Not to mention the episode title.]

Chagen46 wrote:
Magia is a [expletive] amazing ED, though

It's certainly one of Kajiura's best songs. The lyrics are perfect for the series as well, but the meaning only really becomes clear after finishing the show.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I think one of my favorite things about Magia is the animation that plays with it. It's just so haunting and beautiful, while also being incredibly minimalistic. It's disturbing, yet so entrancing you can't look away.

....Really, that last sentence describes most of the labyrinths and the show in general.

Also, I'm not seeing why the fandom loves to hate Kyubey. He seems to be more of a "I do what I have to do" kind of guy. Yeah, he's a lying asshole, but someone's gotta recruit magical girls. Then again, I know next to nothing about him.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Also, I'm not seeing why the fandom loves to hate Kyubey. He seems to be more of a "I do what I have to do" kind of guy. Yeah, he's a lying asshole, but someone's gotta recruit magical girls. Then again, I know next to nothing about him.
Why do you say he's lying? What has he said that's a lie? I'm not being facetious, just asking; you say he's a lying asshole but then admit to knowing next to nothing about him (which makes sense after only four episodes).

"Truth" is a very important theme of the show's story. Personally, (sorta spoiler for the rest of the show) I think spoiler[Kyubey never tells a lie in the entire show. He selectively hides or reveals truths, so in that sense he is not entirely forthcoming, but he never outright lies. He either tells it like it really is (even if he withholds details), tells it like he sees it (even if he's mistaken), or doesn't tell it at all.] Why this is important and makes sense will be explained in later episodes.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
He may not have been lying per se, but he sure didn't warn Madoka and Sayaka of the true dangers of being magical girls. He acted like it was some cool, fun thing when it was anything but. It took Homura to tell them that.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
who hates Kyubey? He's one of the best anime mascots, just after Bokurano's dung beetle.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Some fans have labeled him as a Complete Monster on TvTropes, which is a trope that's supposed to only be used for the most despicable of characters. You have to be damn mear worse than Hitler to be considered a Complete Monster.

However, TvTropes has a reputation for being insanely hyperbolic, so take that with a grain of salt.
Trustilotous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
who hates Kyubey? He's one of the best anime mascots, just after Bokurano's dung beetle.

spoiler[Such a great mascot that the scene when he is killed happens to my my favourite scene in any anime (I don't know about the manga; I haven't read it). Although, despite being happy for his death, that scene also made me really sad.]

As per Kyuubey, I felt no emotions for him personally. I felt anger at the overall scenario and what he had created, but nothing for him as a "being".
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I would definitely purchase this on Blu-Ray. Not your typical magical girl anime with the psychological twists and action.

Need more series like this tbh and glad CR has rights to stream it on their site now Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Having re-watched the first disk with my friend, I have three new feelings:

1. Magia is the best ED I have ever heard.

2. That "Fake ED" that plays in Episodes 1 and 2 (I have a feeling it will play again on a later episode just to mind-f*ck you) is actually pretty good. And actually quite sad and depressing.

3. This dub is one of my favorite dubs. Cabonos's Madoka is a joy to hear. She really knows how to voice-act.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
2. That "Fake ED" that plays in Episodes 1 and 2 (I have a feeling it will play again on a later episode just to mind-f*ck you) is actually pretty good. And actually quite sad and depressing
Nope, only those two episodes spoiler[to rickroll you with happy artwork and a happy sounding song with lyrics that suddenly become "oh... shit..." after episode three.] There's only one other song besides Magia and Connect, and it's in episode 9.

I must be like the only Madoka fan that really doesn't like Magia as a song. I mean, it's a great ED sequence to watch a few times because it just fits the show so well, both the visuals and the lyrics, but I dunno, I really don't like the song itself too much. (If we're naming favorites, mine is definitely 君が光に変えて行 from Garden of Sinners, by miles.)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Personally, Magia has this very beautiful yet haunting atmosphere to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30