• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - So Long, Suckers!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Awww, poor Miaka. What's with all the hate towards her? I loved her! ^^;; Personally I find "INUYASHA!! KAGOME!!" to be more annoying.

Thanks for the fun ride, Zac. But you left us once before & came crawling back. Razz I am looking forward to Brian's take on the column, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
BRAIN! YES!

*insert zombie joke*

penguintruth wrote:
Anime fans certainly have changed. They've become increasingly selfish over the years. Back in the day, we never gave a second thought to a mediocre dub or a long wait for a dual-audio version of our favorite shows. We dealt. We waited. We bought individual volumes. If it took us a year to find all of Cowboy Bebop, we didn't gripe too loudly. We didn't accuse the anime licensors of hating the audience. We understood. We were happy just to get anime over here. I know I did, at least. Now, everybody wants everything fast and free, without a second thought towards the people in the industry.

Isn't that basically the idea behind this generation of people (I think it includes my generation, but who knows what those sociologists have categorized us into this time)? Having something to do with the development of the internet and other forms of media that make information incredibly easy and cheap to obtain?

Bah, kids these days. Razz
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Aww that's too bad you're retiring from Hey, Answerman. I don't post in the forums much but I've been a fan of your column for over a year! Good luck and congratulations on being free!
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
I think that set of pictures pretty much sums it up Anime hyper!

I'm surprised Zac has written this column for as long as he has. I think it's good to change things up though. Good luck on your next project Very Happy
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Those pics are from Fushigi Yuugi, btw. God, am I really that old that so many don't recognize this show?

I do recall a lot of griping about how even the box sets were expensive. Already saw FY on TV before getting one tape of fansubs. Not sure how hard or expensive it would be to get the Pioneer/Geneon DVDs now (not interested enough). Future Buried Treasure?
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
In all complete, sincere, and most heartfelt honesty, I'm not really sad to see Zac go. I don't know the guy, so I can't say I hate him but, based on his internet personality, he's definitely not someone I personally enjoy. With that said, I wish him no ill will and hope that whatever he endeavors to do with his time, let it be gainful. Anyway, it's sad that anime clubs are dead in the water. I've never had a good experience with one but, I'm sure others have. I have to completely sympathize with Rankothefiremage...it's tough running a club when people's tastes vary so widely. It's also tough dealing with little turds who can't look beyond a year or two for their anime. Drives me bonkers... Evil or Very Mad At any rate, I used to run my High School's anime club and had the same problem. Anything you put on, people bitched about it. That was back in 1997 or so but, it sounds like the more things change, the more they stay the same. Different time, different anime, same old snobbery and stupidity. *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Those pics are from Fushigi Yuugi, btw. God, am I really that old that so many don't recognize this show?

I've never seen the show, but I think I knew instinctively (pretty boy + girl yelling at/for each other = I wonder? Rolling Eyes ) Razz

As for the column: so much...raw...sarcasm this week. No better way for Zac to exit. I've truly enjoyed the column the past couple years, and it's sad to see you go. But, I'm sure Brian will have a fantastic time writing Answerman, so I'm greatly anticipating next week.

Congratulations on managing to keep the hat on for all these years.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Anime fans certainly have changed. They've become increasingly selfish over the years. Back in the day, we never gave a second thought to a mediocre dub or a long wait for a dual-audio version of our favorite shows. We dealt. We waited. We bought individual volumes. If it took us a year to find all of Cowboy Bebop, we didn't gripe too loudly. We didn't accuse the anime licensors of hating the audience. We understood. We were happy just to get anime over here. I know I did, at least. Now, everybody wants everything fast and free, without a second thought towards the people in the industry.

As someone who was a studio rep from 2001-2003, I think I would refer to this as "revisionist history." Or at least embellished nostalgia. Smile

It's possible. During those early years of my fandom, back when VHS tapes were still prevelent, I mostly kept to myself, as far as my fandom.

This is back when people would buy those third generation DBZ fansub tapes with all the unnecessary swearing in it and hooked VCRs together to make fourth generations for their friends just so everyone could see how cool the Android Saga. Flame of Recca and Violinist of Hamelin tapes also flowed through the system. But me and the anime fans I knew didn't have nearly as high standards as the fans I know today. To wait a year for something to be released in R1 is now unfathomable for a lot of fans. At least back then, most of the fans I knew would have glady purchased legal copies of some of the anime they pirated if they could.

But my memory of those early years gets a little fuzzy at times. I tried blocking out a lot of my middle school years for a lot of very good reasons. It's not as though I was part of the generation who first passed around tapes of Bubblegum Crisis.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
guet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this weeks Answerman probably more than any other I have read. Of course the pure honest sarcasm with no punches pulled is more my style than the usual tone. Anyway, way to go out on a high note.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for a more churlish response after the buildup from the banner. Not poisoning the well before your new column would probably be bad form though I suppose.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I can't believe 95% of the responses said Miaka Laughing What about the other 5%? I wonder if Suzuka is in there >_>

I know. I totally would have expected Shinji Ikari to be the primary recipient of hate.

I forgot to write mine. I totally would have flipped out over Emiya Shiro and how naive, stupid, and revoltingly sexist he is. Also, I would have included a brief paragraph about how everyone loves to hate Makoto Ito.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
BRAIN! YES!

Zac must have got bit by a zombie is he's hiring somebody named Brain Laughing

jsevakis wrote:

There's your next topic for Buried Garbage, Justin Wink

So long Zac, it was nice reading your replies.
RoseWhip

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the fun, Zac, I'm definitely going to miss your jaded sense of humor every week. Congrats to Brian though, can't wait to see what he brings to the column!
batou65

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Goodbye for now, Zac. I'll miss you and your biting wit. And your kitten pictures.

*sniff*
Dream24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
so long and thanks for all the good times, especially the cute pictures.

Yeah times sure have changed since anime became more "mainstream" only a few years ago. I wonder how things will be in a few years.... hopefully less annoying characters/series to drive me crazy....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12