• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - So Long, Suckers!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
As someone who looks forward to reading your often witty responses every week, I can't help but be a little saddened by this development. That said, I look forward to Brian's take on the column and whatever you've got in store! I'll never forget your advice on dating female fans:

Quote:
1. The odds are good, but the goods are odd.
2. By and large, they are bi and large

Thanks for all the wisdom and laughs you've brought over the years, Zac!
watchdog210

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Sorry to see you go. I have been a fan of Answer Man for quite a while now. Good luck on the retirement. Drink a beer for me. Cool

P. S. Douchenozzle is my new favorite insult. Thanks for that one. Very Happy
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
WHY ZAC WHY? You've been writing this column for eight years--why break a streak? Damn, people here are dropping like flies!

fighterholic: Hey now, Fushigi Yuugi was the goddamn BATTLETOADS of shoujo anime! If anything, it's worthy of a Buried TREASURE, for it is every anime ever made except Fushigi Yuugi.

Fans changing: Considering that I didn't start buying DVDs until two years ago, yeah, I could imagine it being hell having to wait for a year to get all of, say, Cowboy Bebop, and even longer to get a box set for it. (Just why the hell didn't R1 start doing season box sets for anime sooner, like with American TV shows? Were they THAT afraid of them actually SELLING WELL?) I started watching anime a little over a decade ago, and I can say that it really has changed. A lot. No longer do I have to see shows getting hacked up to shreds to the point of being rewritten (It's now the exception instead of the rule; as for Americanization, it can work if done right a la Ghost Stories and Shin-Chan). No longer do I have to put up with dubs vs. subs being an either-or option thanks to DVDs (Had I started buying anime in the VHS days, boy would that be a different story).

Seriously, Zac, don't go man! Nobody else does cute animals in flakes as well!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
So long, Zac! I loved your sarcasm. Hope you're successful where ever you go! Smile
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Nice (and interesting) to see that the suggestions of Brian doing Answerman was acually taken seriously.

Reading this column has been a blast, and I hope it continues to be that way, with Brian around. Though I don't think I'll be disppointed. Just a feeling.
Vukir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Farewell Zac.

*shrugs* Who knows, you might come back *again* Very Happy

I will miss the blunt honesty and sarcasm. Enjoy the freedom. Anime smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Note to Zac (if you are by some strange miracle reading this thread): Not everyone likes alcohol champagne, let alone can afford to pay for it. Your enemies may celebrate your downfall, but it is egotistical for you to assume they would pay money when doing so.

Back to reality......

Well, given Zac's unusually enthusiastic response to a user's suggestion that Brian take over when Zac was too busy, I had sort of expected something like this. However, I sure wasn't expecting Zac to quit the column altogether.

But I suppose it makes sense this way; Brian isn't sitting on his ass waiting for Zac to call and say he needs him. Also, Brian taking over the column proper will allow him to imprint his own style, and reshape the column as he wants. He won't have to ask Zac for permission each time he wants to change something in the column; he can simply do it.

I guess it is good on Zac's part too, as he can avoid burnout. Eight years is not a lot of time in the same job. However, we all know Zac is a poor delicate soul who tanks himself up with booze to ease the pain, which of course makes him have horrible tantrums. The fact that he is an ANN admin, with the power to ban people, means that while we should be happy for him, we must also be vigilant. Until he gets his new column, he has no way to yell at people in a safe manner. This lack of ventilation could result in an ugly situation like the one we had in the latest Buried Treasure column.

Anyway, the real success of Zac's plan relies on the new column he is planning to write. I am very curious as to the over-aching topic, and why it will spend several months in the planning stage before it is released to the general public. Possibly a holiday wedged in that timeframe? Hmmm.

Anyway, I've got to go. I want to finish the remaining eleven episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series.

P.S. Congratulations Brian on your new job. I was hoping you would stick around
Dardre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I forgot to write mine. I totally would have flipped out over Emiya Shiro and how naive, stupid, and revoltingly sexist he is. Also, I would have included a brief paragraph about how everyone loves to hate Makoto Ito.

Oooh, I'd forgotten about him! Or at least I tried to forget about him. Yeah, he ranks up in my Top 5 Most Disliked Anime Hero/Heroines too. If he'd only been naive and stupid, I would have tolerated him. The fact that he's also "Mr. Shiro 'Women need to stay in the Kitchen' Emiya" just pushed me into actually hating the guy. The way he clings to that belief even after seeing what Saber can do, and then later finding out who Saber actually is, is what puts Fate/Stay Night on my 'It's OK' anime list. I'd probably been happier if the anime had taken the Unlimited Bladeworks scenario rather than the Fate one.

Moving on... I'm sorry to see you leave Answerman Zak, since your comments were one of the main reasons I read it; I do look forward to seeing your new column though. My question though is, should I send a crate of bourbon to Brian now, or wait a month or two? Laughing
wanpo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
See you later, Zac. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your new column. Any idea what you're going to title it?

And I'm also going to chime in and say that I'll miss your wonderfully scathing replies, and your seemingly endless supply of cute stuff to post on every column. That bunny is awesome, by the way.

Looking forward to Brian's response to the challenges of the Answerman column! And enjoy your food and alcohol, Zac.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the new Answerman. Zac, I hope you enjoy writing your new column. I'm curious to see what it will be.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
So long Zac I'll definitely miss you being anserman but a new column sounds great. Maybe...stupidest thing to happen in the industry this week? welcome to answerman Brian. I'm looking forward to seeing you respond to the answerman questions.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
jetz wrote:
I can't believe 95% of the responses said Miaka Laughing What about the other 5%? I wonder if Suzuka is in there >_>

I know. I totally would have expected Shinji Ikari to be the primary recipient of hate.

I forgot to write mine. I totally would have flipped out over Emiya Shiro and how naive, stupid, and revoltingly sexist he is. Also, I would have included a brief paragraph about how everyone loves to hate Makoto Ito.

Never hated Shinji (seriously Anime smile + sweatdrop) but I absolutely hate Emiya Shiro and Makoto Itou. I also thought of writing about Taku from chaos;head, but since the anime is still ongoing it's early to tell if he's going to be annoying during the entire series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
satyr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
Lol, I'm new to animenews and have never read your column before... but i'm your fan now just because of this one Razz

And, c'mon, people say the fandome hasn't changed?
It obviously has... I remember about 6/7 years ago when I started liking this... at least at my city, the fandome was really "the stereotypical anime fan would be in his late 20s or early 30s, likely have a beard, wearing a self-made Lum shirt" and pride himself for his VHS collection Razz
I remember how amazed I was when I saw Castle In the Sky and Memories at an animeclub here (even that I've never seen the 3rd episode of Memories ;~). And remember how I saved my money to buy some VHSs from subbers, lol.
I can't tell how AnimeCons were at that time, cause there were none here.. and I was too young to travel for it Razz
(Oh, so you were young? Yes.. but I was like the ONLY young fan among then...).

Nowadays, there's an AnimeCon here (started this year, lol), and I've started meeting people from it... and, really, they're almost all teenagers, on their 12-15 years... whose even tastes are WAY different from people 7 years ago Razz
(they are all Naruto/Bleach fans now Razz)

Yeah, good arcticle, at least it was kinda nostalgic for me.
(and sorry for any grammar issues by me Razz)

So long answerman.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
Zac: I hope you still hang out at the forums.
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
There were times when I loved you and times I hated you and times when I finally figured out what you were trying to do when you stomped on our sandcastle. Hopefully someone else can take up the soapbox and fatherly figure you did.

Anyway, have fun with the new column and I can't way to see Brian's thoughts!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12