• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Whistling in the Dark

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
Heh, I remember with my friends re-starting dormant clubs in high school, like the chess club. Didn't have any problems; helps when ya know the faculty; principal even gave us one of his nice conference rooms; club even made the inter-HS playoffs that year. So yeah, talk to the higher ups. Cool

The Anime Web Turnpike used to have a central list wherein any anime club could submit their website and info - helps when looking for clubs to collaborate. I remembered using that because I was the "PR guy" of our club, basically any promotions or decimation of information, posters/flyers, dealings with other people, problems with administration or student campus government, etc. yeah send me away, stupid lazy bums. Laughing

Echo_City wrote:

Maybe I'm just tired of seeing token sex scenes being shoe-horned into movies and shows as they're cheap pandering and ruining the flow of the story, regardless of whether or not they're straight or gay scenes?

Agree, and replace sex with ecchi and movies with anime, and I'm shoe-horned with ya there too. Laughing

mdo7 wrote:

There was however 2 incidents (which I know, are there any more??) where patient get rejected by hospitals in Japan. One involved a pregnant women in her 30's, and a man dies after being rejected from hospital 14 times.

That seems to be growing in Japan: Cases of emergency patient refusal by hospitals rise to over 16,000. Someone commented thus:

There are lots of hospitals, but too many of them are small and privately owned, minimally staffed--though there is a lot of consolidation going on, finally, as owners retire and the "business" of running a hospital is finally beginning to be treated as a business.

The U.S. has the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, which requires all hospitals with emergency departments who also accept Medicare to accept all patients transported for emergency care. Unfortunately, this altruistic piece of legislation, while cutting down significantly on admissions refusals, has in many case also resulted in astonishing waiting times and so-called "boarding" (essentially, parking patients in the hallways); in some cases, treatment is delayed so long that the patient doesn't survive.

So it's not really as simple as accepting everyone that comes in the door, by ambulance or otherwise.

Still, it's surprising that, given the system of public insurance here, no laws are in place to require at least public hospitals to accept all emergency patients. At the same time, the definition of "emergency patient" in the article above is vague--does it mean true medical emergencies, or anyone who happened to be transported in an ambulance, regardless of condition??

(The U.S. EMTALA does not require emergency rooms to accept non-emergency patients, but as the name implies, they cannot under any circumstances turn down a woman in labor.)

Shortage of doctors plus a population that goes 3x more to hospitals (hey it's cheap, why not). Oh plus it doesn't help that tiny funny tidbit that J-expats know to complain about: J-drivers aren't as prone to give way to ambulances, so what should take 10 minutes would take double that to the hospital. Laughing

Optitron wrote:
In the end, the only unfinished series I could think of that really left me disappointed were not anime/manga-related (thanks for making me dredge up the painful memory that is the end of Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM

Dungeons & Dragons, Exosquad, Gargoyles, Invader Zim........... stupid cancellations. Laughing

maaya wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Also, god forbid they start courting immigrants or something.

Actually afaik that is one of the things they're trying, among others.

On that issue, Japan pays only lip-service. They don't really want more foreigners.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
On that issue, Japan pays only lip-service. They don't really want more foreigners.

Yeah, unfortunately. They hire people from Latin America to do work that's the Ks (kiken, kitanai, kitsui: dangerous, dirty, and difficult) but they don't provide language or any other integrative programs because they hope the people will leave when their terms are done. Japan's been so relatively* un-diverse for so long, adapting to foreigners would be very difficult.

But hey, it would be easier than forcing women to have babies they don't want to have. Selfish sluts only having sex for enjoyment or intimacy, don't they know that the intrinsic purpose of sexual reproduction is to be a birthing machine?

And that was sarcasm, just in case we're not all clear on what I think of how "ethical" that line of argument is.

Anyway, on a lighter note, that bit about judging a series by what you've been given and not on knowing the ending is why I don't think I could ever make it as a professional reviewer. If I've seen the ending and don't like it, it really colors my ability to be objective about anything that came before, even if at the outset something is awesome.

*Ryukyuans, the Ainu, and a million Koreans, but still monocultural compared to the US.
senpai27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

But hey, it would be easier than forcing women to have babies they don't want to have. Selfish sluts only having sex for enjoyment or intimacy, don't they know that the intrinsic purpose of sexual reproduction is to be a birthing machine?

And that was sarcasm, just in case we're not all clear on what I think of how "ethical" that line of argument is.

Well like the previous poster said when you have a declining nation then you do have to explore many options. And one of the purposes women are born is to continue the existence of mankind. So I agree the intrinsic purpose of sex is to have babies, only with recent technologies that the outcome of having a baby can be prevented. In the past married women usually give birth to a lot of children that can replace unmarried and childless women but now only a small pool of women giving birth and only one child.Calling them as a birthing machine is just a rude phrasing of sexual reproduction, so that politicians really deserves the flames.

And Japan doesn't forced women to have babies they don't want to have, they have many secret abortions clinics IIRC. It was considered ironic that as a country who worries about women not having a child, their women actually aborted many babies but all of the statistics was swept under the rug and not mentioned.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
senpai27 wrote:
So I agree the intrinsic purpose of sex is to have babies, only with recent technologies that the outcome of having a baby can be prevented.
Birth control's anything but a recent innovation. Just about every form there is predates the Roman empire(in fact, the heart symbol comes from seeds the Romans used as an ersatz pill). It's simply never been as reliable or as available as it is now.
MiikkeyyRSRB91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:
Miguel wrote:
To be fairly honest, [Tsubasa Chronicle] is arguably one of my favourite anime, and my favourite manga, as well as their spinoffs/crossovers (xxxHOLiC, Card Captor Sakura).

You meant Tsubasa Chronicle's parent series, not spinoff, when you mentioned Card Captor Sakura, right? I'm assuming you did since the next line in your response implies that Sakura and Syaoran are originally from Card Captor Sakura. I just want to ensure that credit is given where it's due, since Card Captor Sakura was easily of a high enough caliber to inspire something like Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, but if the order of their release were reversed, I doubt Tsubasa would have garnered enough popularity to warrant a spinoff.

Oh, well I suppose majority would have known what I meant. But yes, thank you for correction. What I meant was I enjoyed the anime(s) that inspired Tsubasa and its characters. (xxxHolic was before Tsubasa right? xD)
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It might be an easy shorthand, but imagining Japan as a singular entity does mischaracterize the problem; there are proponents and opponents of immigration in the govt. It's just continually met with opposition from the majority.

vashfanatic wrote:
*Ryukyuans, the Ainu, and a million Koreans, but still monocultural compared to the US.

And that's not even mentioning the assimilation, enforced passively and actively, that has largely stripped the former two of their identities. Any remedial measures (e.g. formal recognition of Ainu in 1997) are too little too late; these cultures are on life support (for example, at least a couple of the Ryukyuan languages are on the verge of extinction, and almost nobody grows-up speaking them anymore).
loka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
My impression of Redline is that it tries too hard to inspire awe, and the story is just crap. If you're going to have an uninteresting story, you better make up for it in other areas. Its 'awesomeness' does not touch that of, say, Dead Leaves. My opinion is worthless, as I am not in the target audience -- I may love sci-fi, but I very much dislike racing (Initial D, Speed Racer, Blassreiter, etc.)

Redline does have a good soundtrack.

Last edited by loka on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

There was however 2 incidents (which I know, are there any more??) where patient get rejected by hospitals in Japan. One involved a pregnant women in her 30's, and a man dies after being rejected from hospital 14 times.

That seems to be growing in Japan: Cases of emergency patient refusal by hospitals rise to over 16,000. Someone commented thus:

There are lots of hospitals, but too many of them are small and privately owned, minimally staffed--though there is a lot of consolidation going on, finally, as owners retire and the "business" of running a hospital is finally beginning to be treated as a business.

The U.S. has the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, which requires all hospitals with emergency departments who also accept Medicare to accept all patients transported for emergency care. Unfortunately, this altruistic piece of legislation, while cutting down significantly on admissions refusals, has in many case also resulted in astonishing waiting times and so-called "boarding" (essentially, parking patients in the hallways); in some cases, treatment is delayed so long that the patient doesn't survive.

So it's not really as simple as accepting everyone that comes in the door, by ambulance or otherwise.

Still, it's surprising that, given the system of public insurance here, no laws are in place to require at least public hospitals to accept all emergency patients. At the same time, the definition of "emergency patient" in the article above is vague--does it mean true medical emergencies, or anyone who happened to be transported in an ambulance, regardless of condition??

(The U.S. EMTALA does not require emergency rooms to accept non-emergency patients, but as the name implies, they cannot under any circumstances turn down a woman in labor.)

Shortage of doctors plus a population that goes 3x more to hospitals (hey it's cheap, why not). Oh plus it doesn't help that tiny funny tidbit that J-expats know to complain about: J-drivers aren't as prone to give way to ambulances, so what should take 10 minutes would take double that to the hospital. Laughing

Yeah, I just found out about that after posting my last message. I didn't bother to add that one because well, I was lazy. But thanks for adding that, Enurtsol. Also I was wondering why the cost of healthcare in Japan is low in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rojse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the person wanting to start an anime club, I'd suggest using Facebook. Start the club up, recommend the page to any of your friends that might be interested in such a club, and come up with possible venues from there - I'd suggest something small to start with - even a living room will do - and make sure the place is fairly easy to access .
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Depends on who you ask. Wink
southplumb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
The anime club I belong to is based at a university, but welcomes younger and older “townies.” I joined as a student, but I live nearby, so I still go to weekly meetings. I'm not sure how it was first organized, but to keep the group going they table and post flyers every fall and run a video room at a relatively large convention (which was started by a student group), in addition to having a website and being listed as an official student group. There were at least two groups at other nearby colleges, but they're gone now. For a few years there was a community group organized through meetup.com that met at places like Barnes & Noble, but there is a fee if you want to organize a group from scratch through that service. The public libraries have anime clubs aimed at kids under 18 and even a church has an anime club. To publicize a group, many newspapers and radio/TV stations carry announcements for free and events can be listed on websites like craigslist. At least around here, it is very easy to reserve free meeting rooms with TVs in the libraries and some churches and community centers.

This might not be the place to bring it up, but when the fansub versus legal release debate starts, I think about the legal status of anime clubs. My group relies almost completely on fansubs, but wouldn't showing a commercial release to a group of 50 or even 12 people in a public space be an illegal public performance?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote
southplumb wrote:

This might not be the place to bring it up, but when the fansub versus legal release debate starts, I think about the legal status of anime clubs. My group relies almost completely on fansubs, but wouldn't showing a commercial release to a group of 50 or even 12 people in a public space be an illegal public performance?
Licensees didn't mind clubs using the odd fansub in the day, in fact if asked they would give the club a copy with their blessing knowing that, or hoping that word of mouth got round and more sales would come in and it worked until the internet as we know it today became more common place and 50 turned to 5 million, but still only 50 items sold.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Ian K wrote:
As far as "being denied healthcare", all I could find was this article, which states that because homosexual unions are not recognized legally, gay people struggle to gain visitation rights and to be recognized as healthcare proxies.

IIRC, this is still a problem in some states. It is possible for people legally married in one state to be denied things such as hospital visitation rights should one fall ill in a hostile state.

In any event, health insurance is mandatory for everyone in Japan under the national program, but it is not enforced. Many people forgo it for private insurance offered by their place of employment.

Actually denying someone's partner the right to visit them in the hospital is now illegal under Federal regulations, whether or not they are legally married. President Obama signed a directive in that requires hospitals to allow all patients to set up who can and cannot visit them and who can make decisions for them, regardless of their legal or biological relationship.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/presidential-memorandum-hospital-visitation

However, the rules are not universally upheld everywhere. They also don't seem to do much good if someone who is unresponsive shows up at the hospital and had not set up such things as emergency contacts or medical power of attorney ahead of time. And while a medical POA can provide a lot of protection, it's relatively easy for family members to have them invalidated in court, particularly in conservative southern states.

And despite the new regulations, you still have stories like this that should never happen: http://www.shewired.com/lifestyle/2012/01/17/she-was-my-mommy-too-op-ed .

I had a friend, who despite a medical power of attorney, had to lie to hospital staff and say he was his boyfriends brother to be able to be with him as he lay dying in an ICU from a heart condition. His partner had no family, as they had disowned him after he came out, and the hospital staff was going to let him die alone in bed, rather than allow his boyfriend in. I don't care what you're political or religious positions are, that is MORALLY WRONG. Everyone should have the right to be with their loved ones when they die, as at that point, there is nothing else we can do but hold their hand. No one should ever have to die alone.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
southplumb wrote:

Yes, it would be. However, I can't think of any licensing company that wouldn't be fine with it if you asked permission, and more importantly weren't charging people to come view it. Heck, as I recall, FUNimation would send out kits and such to anime clubs, and send them various screeners and such. I dunno if they go that far anymore, but the main thing is the companies aren't going to make an issue out of it as long as you ask and the viewings are free.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Just look at the distributer's site to find out what to do - Sentai's put it straight in their FAQ. That doesn't resolve the fansub issue, of course(unless you've got someone who's bought the title and the Japanese distributer's willing to deal - the subtitles themselves are perfectly legal AFAIK).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4