• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Final Fantasy XIII-2 DLC Announced for February 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
"enhance the experience and complement the narrative of Final Fantasy XIII-2 with storyline branches for key characters in the story."

Now maybe I'm misunderstanding here. I haven't played XIII-2 or even really followed it's development. This sounds a whole lot like them saying that you need to buy this DLC in order to get parts of the story for key characters though. If so, I cannot begin to express in words the extent to which Square Enix can go fudge themselves.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Meh, the game has a LOT of content already, so I don't mind being charged for a little more.

And apparently the DLC is only going to be $3, which is pretty damn cheap if you ask me.

Also, the game rocks so far. Smile
partially

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
This sounds a whole lot like them saying that you need to buy this DLC in order to get parts of the story for key characters though.

'branches' sounds like side-stories, so I wouldn't really call that key parts of the story. It is actually what I want from DLC, new stories to complement the main plot. I have never understood people or games that churn out weapon/item DLC.

And do remember the game was released in Japan over a month ago, so although it seems like day-one additions to the story (which they could rightly fudge themselves for) it is actually something they have been working on for a while.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
"enhance the experience and complement the narrative of Final Fantasy XIII-2 with storyline branches for key characters in the story."

Now maybe I'm misunderstanding here. I haven't played XIII-2 or even really followed it's development. This sounds a whole lot like them saying that you need to buy this DLC in order to get parts of the story for key characters though. If so, I cannot begin to express in words the extent to which Square Enix can go fudge themselves.

The main gimmick of the game is time travel. Going to different eras, meeting different characters, changing the past to do different things in the present/future. Sort of like the old SNES RPG Chrono Trigger. It might be some alternate story or expanded timeline or something.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
And do remember the game was released in Japan over a month ago, so although it seems like day-one additions to the story (which they could rightly fudge themselves for) it is actually something they have been working on for a while.

Ah okay. That is a fair point.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
dude ff 13 may have been the worst ff game ever made, and 13 2 is even more poorly rated despite fixing the flaws of the first, and now they want to sell dlc for this garabage.

Honestly they haven't made a good game since lost odyssey, oh wait that was Hironobu Sakaguchi, aka creator of FF, and his excellent company Mystwalker studios.

At least give us Versus which looks good.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
Actually if you go by sales, FF9 is the worst Final Fantasy game.

And really, given some of the awful ways DLC has been handled before (Hello Bioware and Bethesta) 3 dollars for something this big isn't a bad deal.

I mean.. getting Shale in Dragon Age was 15 dollars.

And Shale sucked.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Actually if you go by sales, FF9 is the worst Final Fantasy game.

And really, given some of the awful ways DLC has been handled before (Hello Bioware and Bethesta) 3 dollars for something this big isn't a bad deal.

I mean.. getting Shale in Dragon Age was 15 dollars.

And Shale sucked.

I think FF9 was the worst in terms of sales as a result of being released for the ps1 when the ps2 became famous although many point the superdeformed characters as a negative area. FF13 broke records in sales possibly owing to being released also for the Xbox 360 as well as being the first one in HD. I remember a Famitsu report stating that Japanese fans lost interest in FF13-2 prior to its release but I can only speculate the reason.

I'm kind of confused by game critics nowadays: FF13-2 is said to surpass its prequel in almost every area, but it receives a significantly lower score. Just check IGN who gave FF13 a 8.9, while FF13-2 got a 8.0. Is it better or it isn't?
m0x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Nowadays, I really think most people have hopped on the "Support Square Enix no matter what" bandwagon and the "No Final Fantasy game is no longer worth playing since FFX" bandwagon.

I've seen far too many trolls on English gaming forums that denounce every Final Fantasy game before it is even released in the U.S. or in Europe. Likewise, the other half includes would-be players that jump on titles just because they say "Final Fantasy" on the cover.

Can people just play through the game before making comments?

Let me start with FF Versus XIII. Sure, it looks amazing. Many people say it looks amazing. But you know what? Before they released FFXIII, people said that game looked amazing. Once it came out, people began bashing it, including people who have never played the game. I don't understand.

I didn't say a word about Final Fantasy XIII when it first came out. Only after I have beaten the game did I make any critiques. Yes, it was linear as many people can agree on. Yes, only small aspects of the game could be customized. Yes, the battle system was far too easy to navigate. I enjoyed it for what it had, not what it didn't have.

Final Fantasy XIII-2? I'm 25 hours through the game, now going through the latter half. I'm not going to say anything concrete as of now, but the game has shown significant improvement over the last installment. Much more content to explore and customize in comparison to the first.

For that, I still can't forgive people who decide to shut a game out before they even play it. I've never played FFIX, so I've never said anything in favor or against it. I haven't played FFX, and people rave about it, but I can't say anything because I've never played it. I can talk about FFVII, VIII and the Tactics series, good and bad aspects both.

I can't care any less about downloadable content. If you want it, go buy it. If you want to get more experience out of the game, go for it. If you can't beat the game without the downloadable content, then yes, SE should "fudge themselves." If the game is complete without it... What. Ever. I'm leaning toward the latter.

/rant, tl;dr

In other news, I still need to beat this game. I'll probably finish it in a day or two, so I'll see if the downloadable content is worth it or not afterward.

TitanXL wrote:
I'm kind of confused by game critics nowadays: FF13-2 is said to surpass its prequel in almost every area, but it receives a significantly lower score. Just check IGN who gave FF13 a 8.9, while FF13-2 got a 8.0. Is it better or it isn't?

A lot of people dislike the ending, which "ruined" the story. I agree that it is a little less focused than the first FFXIII. But it is what happened: +Explorability, -Storyline. I still have to see the ending myself in order to judge, though. Plot's getting exceedingly important nowadays.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is X is pretty much just as linear as 13 is. The only main difference is X had towns to explore every so often, but it still had no world map and you had no real exploration and it was just going from one set destination to the next.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The funny thing is X is pretty much just as linear as 13 is. The only main difference is X had towns to explore every so often, but it still had no world map and you had no real exploration and it was just going from one set destination to the next.

Nah, 13 was several times more linear. At least in 10 you could go back to previous areas and gets stuff you missed...

But it's not just linearity, in FFX there was just much more stuff to do.

In XIII, all you could do rather then just reach the objective (and only once you got to Pulse)?:

-The Cieth Stone Hunts (which were pretty much "Go and kill this thing" repeated 65 times)
-Turtle farming for hours and hours so you can get the Treasure Hunt Trophy (Never. Again.)

But in FFX? Lots of stuff to do:

-Blitzball
-Getting all the Celestial Weapons/Crests/Sigils (Some from just exploration, others were their own unique sidequest or mini-game. Either way, it was a game-length quest that had 21 parts)
-Two hidden dungeons
-3 (or 6) hidden Aeons
-A monster arena
-Getting the Anima Chests in the Cloister Puzzles.
-Other misc things like getting all of Khimari's Blue Magics or going back and kicking the ass of that fish thing that almost killed Tidus in the beginning.

Now, I did really like XIII, and I agree people are a little too hard on it, but I will agree that compared to past games, it was REALLY lacking something in several areas, and that's a real shame. if XIII-2 is anything to go by though, Squeenix got the message and will try to avoid that road in the future.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

>using ign
>2012
Laughing
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

>using ign
>2012
:lol:

This isn't 4-chan.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
But it's not just linearity, in FFX there was just much more stuff to do.

In XIII, all you could do rather then just reach the objective (and only once you got to Pulse)?:

-The Cieth Stone Hunts (which were pretty much "Go and kill this thing" repeated 65 times)
-Turtle farming for hours and hours so you can get the Treasure Hunt Trophy (Never. Again.)

But in FFX? Lots of stuff to do

I very much agree with this. I didn't really have an issue with the linearity in 13 but I definitely found myself disappointed when I got to the end of the game and there was not really much to do.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
population_tire wrote:

>using ign
>2012
Laughing

This isn't 4-chan.

Is that where that greater-than symbol stuff comes from? I've been seeing it more and more recently and wondering what the heck it was supposed to mean.

Looks like FF13 has a 83 on metacritic and FF13-2 has an 81 for the 360 and a 79 for the PS3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1