• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Movies From Oshii

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:56 am Reply with quote
This sounds great. Hopefully working with the Coen Brothers and making a comedy will give us back the Oshii that made Beautiful Dreamer and The Red Spectacles, instead of the Oshii that made Innocence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
It's Coen not Cohen. Also, the fact that Coen brothers are directing one out of twenty segments, doesn't make it a "Coen Brothers" movie.
I really, hope Oshii accepts this offer since this movie is looking very interesting.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:26 am Reply with quote
Anyone know what his book is about?
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:45 am Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
Anyone know what his book is about?

I have a copy of the book but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It has a very interesting cover (which you can see here).

I think perhaps it's supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek book about filmmaking (rather appropriate, no?) The subtitle of the book reads (in English) "Documentary of 'Showa' Underground." On the cover, Oshii is listed as "script & direction" rather than as the author. The cover also lists a "cast" consisting of Kaito Kichijoji, Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, Katsuya Terada, Mako Hyodou, Toshio Suzuki, Kenji Kawai, and Shoji Kawamori. (These are the people on the cover, I believe. I'm not sure what most of these people look like, but I can recognize Kawai and Suzuki.)
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Sounds like it would probably be Live-action...but I guess it could be Animated.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:

The cover also lists a "cast" consisting of Kaito Kichijoji, Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, Katsuya Terada, Mako Hyodou, Toshio Suzuki, Kenji Kawai, and Shoji Kawamori. (These are the people on the cover, I believe. I'm not sure what most of these people look like, but I can recognize Kawai and Suzuki.)

Guess which one has the dog on his jacket?

Ishikawa looks like this:
http://www.production-ig.co.jp/info/corporate/images/ishikawa.jpg

(hmm he's put on a lot of weight since I saw him in 2000 - ah well, middle-age spread Very Happy )

I'm guessing he's the guy at the top left?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1