• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses GetBackers Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
So Sentai Filmworks rescued a license from ADV....

Isn't that basically like taking something from yourself? Confused
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
YAY
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Talk about helping yourself to a license Laughing
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
So Sentai Filmworks rescued a license from ADV....

Isn't that basically like taking something from yourself? Confused

I think it's more like taking something a member of your family also once had.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Of course I just bought the old versions of both seasons because they'd gone outta print. *Of course.* Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The first couple of arcs of this show were decent, but it got tiresome after a while.

Horrible dub. Just terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
megagold5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The first couple of arcs of this show were decent, but it got tiresome after a while.

Shocked Has one of my favourite dubs.

An excellent anime which ended prematurely, but good to see a new release all the same. I have the UK ADV release though, so I'm fine.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I rememeber this anime for long time, i haven't watch it yet saw trailer but thats it, later i will check it out, intresting sentai licensed it, taking back what is there's, hrm whats next DN angel perhaps? Go Sentai
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Nope. Wrong.

Not a terrible dub. Not very GOOD either, but there are much worse.

The same dubbing studio did the dub for the Samurai X OVAs, and they did MUCH, MUCH worse on those than on GetBackers.

Plus you get to see where FUNimation regular Jason Liebrecht first got his start.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
skyreno4 wrote:
hrm whats next DN angel perhaps? Go Sentai

DNAngel was rescued & re-released by Discotek.

http://www.rightstuf.com/i/es027

SpacemanHardy wrote:
The same dubbing studio did the dub for the Samurai X OVAs, and they did MUCH, MUCH worse on those than on GetBackers.

You never watched Lost Universe have you? You think the Kenshin OVA dubs were bad (which i agree), that dub was worse.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I was planning on getting Get Backers soon, the ADV release is still available from the Right Stuf. Should I just get that, or should I wait for the Sentai release?
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

While I'm always up for buxom, brick-house blondes (Why Hello, Ms. Hevn), even she isn't enough to save this show for me. Yes it started well, but got steadily worse--tiresome is a good word--as it went on, that and the show's original overarching themes of friendship (especially between the two male leads) became increasingly BL/yaoi (nothing wrong with that, but it changed the tone of the show).

If I weren't such a completionist (and such a green anime fan at the time) I probably wouldn't have finished it; as I was consuming everything anime that I could get my hands on.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
I was planning on getting Get Backers soon, the ADV release is still available from the Right Stuf. Should I just get that, or should I wait for the Sentai release?

The ADV thin packs will undoubtedly have better packaging. However, Sentai has generally included any special features that were missing from the ADV collections. I don't know if there were any special features of note that were missing from the collections.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Youkai Warrior wrote:

The ADV thin packs will undoubtedly have better packaging. However, Sentai has generally included any special features that were missing from the ADV collections. I don't know if there were any special features of note that were missing from the collections.
Expounding upon that, while it's nice that DNAngel was rescued, the series really needed to have been picked up by Sentai for this very reason. The original DNAngel release was loaded with extras, and we're not just talking the standard English commentary tracks. These dvds have video interviews with the members of the Japanese cast and production at semi-posh garden clubs, rare behind-the-scenes video of the Japanese dubbing process (DNAngel had the dialogue recorded to storyboards as opposed to having the final animation dubbed, according to these extras), a videoed live rendition of the opening theme song by the pianist/vocalist who created it (Not as funny as Vic Mignogna's performance, wherein he was cosplaying Dark Mousey, but still), and that's just on the one DVD I pulled out of the box to corroborate.

Again, that was just ONE dvd's worth (Disc 3) of extras. One! There are 7 dvds total in the series. I don't know if GetBackers had extras, seeing as how it was done by the bottom-tier ADV dubbing studio, but I do know that only Sentai can preserve the bounty of extras that ADV originally put on releases, back in the golden era of DVD extras, and that for such a bounty of extras to go out of print, only to be found in dusty etailers and con bargain bins, would be a crime. (A crime almost on par with the dub of Lost Universe. In their defense, Lost Universe sucked. ) Wink
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to GetBackers my money having bought this. Not only was it not what I was expecting, but it's the same story, drawn out (read: filler) over 13 episodes, told four times.

Four times.

Wait. I'm talking to people who watched eight similar episodes back-to-back and loved it.

Okay, then. Buy this. You won't be "disappointed".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3