• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Making the Digital Jump With Viz Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for reminding me, I have to contact Viz soon to ask for a refund on my Shonen Jump subscription after the last print issue is sent out.

Seriously, though, I read my Jump on the subway on the way to and from work. Digital books are too expensive to get the hardware for, and expensive to replace. Print is cheap for me to buy and replace.

I'll just wait for the graphic novels and read the scanlations online, if i really can't. Even though they release chapters usually a few days after Japan, the only ones I read online aren't licensed anyways.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
physical books for me. I like the look of rows and rows of manga.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for writing this article. I was thinking about buying a Nook Tablet, mainly for reading manga (as well as doing email, etc.), and... gah. That two-page spread disaster... ! I guess at least for now - I have to consider buying an iPad for manga reading, if I buy any tablet at all.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't worry; after doing it a bunch of times, this counterintuitive motion becomes automatic, just like we all had to train our eyes to read right-to-left at some point.

I've always hated that moment of being at work or in public, when needing to pause and turn the brain back for reading left-to-right. Does this mean I'm reading too much manga?

Convenience and storage are the only two real benefits to e-books, but at least it looks like companies are making inroads towards improving the quality. By the time they get there, maybe the hardware will be ready too.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I think there's a little confusion here,you don't need a tablet or an ipad. And it will work on more than one tablet,as noted with my Toshiba thrive example earlier. And you can still pull it up on your browser.

At the very least,try the one shot, as it will only cost 99 cents.
InitialT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
Thanks for writing this article. I was thinking about buying a Nook Tablet, mainly for reading manga (as well as doing email, etc.), and... gah. That two-page spread disaster... ! I guess at least for now - I have to consider buying an iPad for manga reading, if I buy any tablet at all.

I would not make your decision based on this article. The information contained in this article regarding the Nook is factually inaccurate. I own a Nook Tablet and have been purchasing manga, including Viz manga on it and my experience does not match the reviewers at all.

- To turn pages, you move your finger from left-to-right on the screen, exactly as you'd expect when reading a manga. There is even a tip at the top of the screen that appears the first time you open a new manga that tells you that you need to do this.

- Carlo's screenshot shows the pages in the slider being number from left to right. All of my manga is numbered from right to left, starting with 1 on the right side of the screen and counting up to the left, just as you'd expect when reading a manga.

- All of my manga that I own that have two page spreads work seamlessly as expected, such as Bleach.

But wait, how can I argue with the photo proof? Well, I guess I'll post my own photo proof. I don't normally read Naruto, but I thought I'd better actually buy the book and make sure I'm right before I post this and make an ass out of myself. So I did and.. I was right!

The Real Naruto 54 Nook Edition
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76101568@N04/6833977053/in/photostream

Numbering Right-to-Left
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76101568@N04/6833980039/in/photostream

Another working full page spread - Bleach 1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76101568@N04/6833983127/in/photostream

So how do I explain the completely inaccurate article? Well, it should be noted that the Naruto title was only published on Nook TODAY. The author mentioned that he got his stuff from Viz directly. It would appear to me that Viz gave him a Nook that just had their proof copies "sideloaded" onto the Nook device. Unfortunately, if you don't buy it from the Nook store, it probably doesn't have the metadata to tell the device that it's manga and should be using right-to-left mode.

Once you realize that, all these mistakes make sense. But shame on Viz for handing over a device to a reviewer that puts their material on Nook in a bad light. They probably didn't realize their mistake either.

As a Nook owner and as someone who wants legal digital manga content to succeed, I hope Carlo will speak up about these errors and post a public correction to his review.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Everyone around me here seems to own iPads or tablets (yeah, even my 3-yr-old nephew). Laughing

These e-devices are more useful when you're outside the house or traveling.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:

No more Psyren and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, while the latter isn't very good (And I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan), I was loving following the former in the monthly US Shonen Jump and it was just nice to get two new series instead of the ones that've gone on forever.

I was upset about the loss of Psyren in SJA, but I have been told this may actually be a good thing for fans, because it'll actually come out faster now, the books will be released every other month instead of… oh, I don't know how long it took for the books to start coming out. (Although if you don't buy the books and just read it through the magazine, I guess it's not a good thing at all…)

But yay, Psyren fan!
The Peahen Piper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
For me, there's nothing better than holding the pages in my hands.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
InitialT wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

I would not make your decision based on this article. The information contained in this article regarding the Nook is factually inaccurate. I own a Nook Tablet and have been purchasing manga, including Viz manga on it and my experience does not match the reviewers at all.

- To turn pages, you move your finger from left-to-right on the screen, exactly as you'd expect when reading a manga. There is even a tip at the top of the screen that appears the first time you open a new manga that tells you that you need to do this.

- Carlo's screenshot shows the pages in the slider being number from left to right. All of my manga is numbered from right to left, starting with 1 on the right side of the screen and counting up to the left, just as you'd expect when reading a manga.

- All of my manga that I own that have two page spreads work seamlessly as expected, such as Bleach.

But wait, how can I argue with the photo proof? Well, I guess I'll post my own photo proof. I don't normally read Naruto, but I thought I'd better actually buy the book and make sure I'm right before I post this and make an ass out of myself. So I did and.. I was right!

Numbering Right-to-Left

So how do I explain the completely inaccurate article? Well, it should be noted that the Naruto title was only published on Nook TODAY. The author mentioned that he got his stuff from Viz directly. It would appear to me that Viz gave him a Nook that just had their proof copies "sideloaded" onto the Nook device. Unfortunately, if you don't buy it from the Nook store, it probably doesn't have the metadata to tell the device that it's manga and should be using right-to-left mode.

Once you realize that, all these mistakes make sense. But shame on Viz for handing over a device to a reviewer that puts their material on Nook in a bad light. They probably didn't realize their mistake either.

As a Nook owner and as someone who wants legal digital manga content to succeed, I hope Carlo will speak up about these errors and post a public correction to his review.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Nook. It's good to have another perspective (the iPad images still look sharper and crisper than the images on the Nook though, I must say. That must be what an additional $250 will get you...).

Maybe the author of the article will respond to what you've said. I'll stay tuned.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
InitialT wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Numbering Right-to-Left

Thank you! That's what I was trying to say earlier. I have a Nook Color with the latest software update that makes the device capable of displaying comics and the information in the article doesn't match my experience with reading manga on it, either. My experience is the same as yours.

More Photographic evidence with Death Note vol. 1. Sorry for the bad quality; I took these with my iPod Touch's camera. The pages on the Nook Color are actually a lot clearer than in these pics:

My print version
Nook Color version
Nook Color version of the same pages with the navigation bar and page numbering visible
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
There's one important thing I need to add about double page spreads on the Nook. What they look like depends on the publisher. Double page spreads from Yen Press align properly and don't look too bad.

Edit: never mind, it looks like others have already pointed out that double page spreads work better than what the article says.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
WindAlchemistJen wrote:
agila61 wrote:
This is a review of how Viz has done it. What you are saying implies Viz should have bought manga already on the Nook Color to find out how to do it right. I have a Nook and it works both ways with books to flip back and forth ~ its silly to think its better to "flip" the pages.

However, on JManga I prefer the panel at a time mode on the 7" screen. Something like that would require an app.

the article wrote:
The thing about manga on the Nook is that, since it's not running on a native Viz app, it has to conform to however Barnes and Noble formats things. And the designers of the Nook interface have assumed—quite reasonably—that every book they're ever going to carry for an English-speaking audience is going to run left-to-right. This results in mind-bending hilarity where, in order to go to the next page on the Nook, you have to swipe to the left ... in the exact opposite direction that one would turn a page in manga. Left Turn Only?! I don't think so!

Don't worry; after doing it a bunch of times, this counterintuitive motion becomes automatic, just like we all had to train our eyes to read right-to-left at some point.

The above quote is what I was referring to. ... Yes, I've bought Viz titles for my Nook Color, so, I do know what I'm talking about.

So, how did you find them? I was looking yesterday morning and the little Viz store did not have a nook book option, just paperback and hardback.

I was saying that the review was on the manga at hand, which was, for whatever reason, reversed page order. Its reassuring to know that Viz doesn't actually do that, for books downloaded directly from the B&N shop, but if it is reversed page order on sideloads, that's important to know, since library borrowing and ebooks from Kobo or Sony are sideloaded.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
All these "Digital Warps" punish the people that were following series legally, I'm not all that interested in reading two weeks after Japan if I'm still years behind. I guess I'm sticking with volumes for Bakuman.

Wow, didn't think I'd find someone upset that they are translating manga on a much faster schedule. The thing thats kept back SJ for years is that it was over a year behind, so this is a big upgrade.

Just go read scans or something to get caught up.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
My bookshelves are sagging very dangerously. I have to do something about that soon.

I'm afraid I'll never go digital with manga. It just takes all the fun out of owning the physical copy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7