Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Sues 869 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece


Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
1945113



Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 291

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Freakin' pathetic...I hate Toei Animation and One Piece -_-.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4035

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
What an oddly specific number
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 2884
Location: earth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
should be 666 users. I don't know why people still download OP illegally when you can watch it for free. Also, I don't know why people are mad, when they know it's illegal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
should be 666 users. I don't know why people still download OP illegally when you can watch it for free.


They live outside of America or don't want to deal with ads (though adblocker fixes that for me).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Shenl742
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 1270

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Insert pun involving pirates and CSI:Miami style "YEAAAAAH"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relentlessflame



Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
What I am wondering is, other than going through the discovery process and then using the contact information to request/demand settlements of the implicated parties, have any of these styles of anonymous John Doe lawsuits actually made it through to trial with the John Does given names? I've heard of many cases, like the Funimation one, where they end up getting dismissed before trial due to jurisdiction-related issues, but I can't say I've heard any get further than that. I assume the point is not to go through discovery and then launch a whole bunch of individual lawsuits in jurisdictions all over the place, because that would be too costly (though it may be what the judges demand).

As you can clearly see, I am not a lawyer, but I'm confused why companies keep trying this if it doesn't seem to work (unless, again, the settlements are the point). Then again, this was filed back in late-September so who knows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mangamuscle



Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 575
Location: Mexico

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Japanese businessmen are control freaks that would no doubt feel they have the right to evasdrop on their consumers. Sad thing is they do because they think One Piece is the hottest thing on earth when the truth is it is barely known outside japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 2884
Location: earth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
should be 666 users. I don't know why people still download OP illegally when you can watch it for free.


They live outside of America or don't want to deal with ads (though adblocker fixes that for me).


I think they are only going after people who are in US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tsukento



Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! How dare the animation company sue people for illegally downloading episodes of their series! I mean, it's not like Americans have any way of obtaining these episodes legally via DVD or streaming!

Wait, what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Yeah! How dare the animation company sue people for illegally downloading episodes of their series!

Wait, what?


Suing individual people never works, though. Its just a waste of time... you need to go after the people distributing the rips (like HS).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
FLCLGainax



Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 118
Location: United States

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Funimation try the same thing before and fail?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bradc



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again. What year is it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 2884
Location: earth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:
What I am wondering is, other than going through the discovery process and then using the contact information to request/demand settlements of the implicated parties, have any of these styles of anonymous John Doe lawsuits actually made it through to trial with the John Does given names? I've heard of many cases, like the Funimation one, where they end up getting dismissed before trial due to jurisdiction-related issues, but I can't say I've heard any get further than that. I assume the point is not to go through discovery and then launch a whole bunch of individual lawsuits in jurisdictions all over the place, because that would be too costly (though it may be what the judges demand).

As you can clearly see, I am not a lawyer, but I'm confused why companies keep trying this if it doesn't seem to work (unless, again, the settlements are the point). Then again, this was filed back in late-September so who knows.


My friend got sued by music companies for downloading mp3 music few years back. He just paid $3000+ for all the songs that he downloaded. I'm not sure what will happen if he goes to court.

I heard some people went to court and ended up paying 10 times the amount.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tsukento



Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
you need to go after the people distributing the rips (like HS).

Unfortunately, the problem with this sort of situation with any kind of piracy is that if you take one or two groups of people down, more will come. Can't really get rid of piracy.

But on the same token, it's easy to see why they would also target people who take part in downloading them via Bittorrent clients, since they keep the downloads alive by seeding them for other users to download..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
you need to go after the people distributing the rips (like HS).

Unfortunately, the problem with this sort of situation with any kind of piracy is that if you take one or two groups of people down, more will come. Can't really get rid of piracy.


While that true, if you get the people paying huge fines that distribute the rips, it may scare off others from taking over. Obviously it won't scare everyone right away, but if you keep on doing it people will eventually stop bothering to rip stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group