• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Sues 869 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Aw jeez. Not this shit again.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Tsukento wrote:
Yeah! How dare the animation company sue people for illegally downloading episodes of their series!

Wait, what?

Suing individual people never works, though. Its just a waste of time... you need to go after the people distributing the rips (like HS).

I hope one of the 869 is from HS. I really do.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
was one piece even airing on funimation yet at this time?

this title sounds like around the end of the thriller bark arc
or is this some of that filler junk from recent
so many months of filler making my memory cloudy
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

this title sounds like around the end of the thriller bark arc

This was 2 episodes before the time skip, and it wasn't filler.

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_515
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Didn't Funimation try the same thing before and fail?

And it was also over One Piece. Of course one would think that users would have realized after the first lawsuit not to download One Piece torrents. I wonder if it's from the same fansub group.

I think the attempt is to try and scare people away from downloading. Funimation showed that you really can't take a large lawsuit like this to court.

The only way I think I could catch up with One Piece would be to download all the past episodes. Streaming is just a bit too clumsy and I don't know if all the episodes are even available online. DVD cost would be prohibitive. But I just don't have enough interest to bother.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

Currently, One Piece is not featured on the FUNimation Channel (if that's what you were talking about).

I'm glad it's TOEI doing this, not FUNi. I doubt this will go very far, but I'm sure it'll be more successful than FUNi's attempt last year. I highly doubt all these downloads will be "destroyed"... Of course, I support all efforts to stop piracy of any kind.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
Freakin' pathetic...I hate Toei Animation and One Piece -_-.

Translated to: WAAH I WANNA DOWNLOAD FREE STUFF
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

so many months of filler making my memory cloudy

As far as I can recall, the only recent filler was a few episode arc pushed into the flashback where Ace/Luffy/Sabo meet this really old guy in the junkyard place and he trains Luffy for like an episode or so.

But yeah, as long as these people are all from inside the USA then I have no issue with this. The legal streaming is available for free and Toei is well within its rights.

I doubt the suit will go anywhere though, as it's likely this judge will rule the same as the last that the people were acting individually and will thus need to pursue each one individually (which would be at an incredible cost).
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
1945113 wrote:

DAMN STRAIGHT! Go Toei! Go Toei! Give those downloading bastards what they really deserve: A LAWSUIT!!!
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
population_tire wrote:
1945113 wrote:

DAMN STRAIGHT! Go Toei! Go Toei! Give those downloading bastards what they really deserve: A LAWSUIT!!!

^ OMG SO MUCH THIS. People in the US have no excuse to illegally download popular anime. Legal options are available, such as streaming, buying the DVDs, renting them from Netflix, or borrowing them from the library. Hell, the EVANSVILLE library (smallish city near me) has craptons of anime available for people to borrow!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Tsukento wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
you need to go after the people distributing the rips (like HS).

Unfortunately, the problem with this sort of situation with any kind of piracy is that if you take one or two groups of people down, more will come. Can't really get rid of piracy.

While that true, if you get the people paying huge fines that distribute the rips, it may scare off others from taking over. Obviously it won't scare everyone right away, but if you keep on doing it people will eventually stop bothering to rip stuff.

And how's that working out for the RIAA and MPAA?

population_tire wrote:
1945113 wrote:

Texas84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
OK, so I am a paid subscriber to CR and Funi but I download Funi stuff because their website is horrible. Now Nico is showing Funi shows for free? I'm confused.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:

^ OMG SO MUCH THIS. People in the US have no excuse to illegally download popular anime. Legal options are available, such as streaming, buying the DVDs, renting them from Netflix, or borrowing them from the library. Hell, the EVANSVILLE library (smallish city near me) has craptons of anime available for people to borrow!

Until anime in the US is 100% free no DRM, they will pirate it, thats a fact, and that's their reason.

Also like the person above me posted with that awesome gif, Its never gonna end, so instead of wasting your energy saying (NOT UH, YEA HUH) Just do your thing and leave each other alone (then again I am posting on the ANN forums, I should save my energy and put it towards a more constructive community Rolling Eyes )
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I doubt the suit will go anywhere though, as it's likely this judge will rule the same as the last that the people were acting individually and will thus need to pursue each one individually (which would be at an incredible cost).

Unlike the FUNi suit, this one seems to have legs to it. In this suit Toei has already gone the next step and been allowed to get the names for each of those John Does so it's possible the judge already agrees that they did work together. They said they filed in DC because they think some of the defendants are from DC so they're probably prepared to bring this down to just suing those from DC, but since they can identify the other defendants they might take this state to state. I think we'll see them follow through on this one. They're also suing for costs so if they can start a precedent and recover costs in the first trial they may be able to do so in the others which wouldn't make this very costly for them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Unlike the FUNi suit, this one seems to have legs to it. In this suit Toei has already gone the next step and been allowed to get the names for each of those John Does so it's possible the judge already agrees that they did work together. They said they filed in DC because they think some of the defendants are from DC so they're probably prepared to bring this down to just suing those from DC, but since they can identify the other defendants they might take this state to state. I think we'll see them follow through on this one. They're also suing for costs so if they can start a precedent and recover costs in the first trial they may be able to do so in the others which wouldn't make this very costly for them.

Emerje

Wow. I don't think any of those people have money for that. I wish that they WOULD go after the sites that stream them, because I can think of plenty sites that have subs/dubs (Unless they've been halted by MU's demise).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16