• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Gintama the Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
Didn't Sentai say that the t.v. series sold poorly? Why would they license the movie then? All these licenses by Sentai... idk man.

They never said it sold poorly. David Williams just said they didn't have anymore of the show on their release schedule. There could have other reasons at play. I believe he also said it did well for a subtitles series, but I might be thinking of another show.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
Didn't Sentai say that the t.v. series sold poorly? Why would they license the movie then? All these licenses by Sentai... idk man.

As far as I know, they haven't actually directly said that it didn't do well.
It's a fan assumption, since they have only released the first season thus far, and the last Collection was released a year ago, and nothing has been solicited since.

They may not want to directly say that it hasn't, since the last time they did say something didn't sell well (Glass Mask), it made the situation worse, since most of those that hadn't bought it yet, refused to since they didn't want only half of the series.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be picking this up!

The reason why I never bought the DVDs they put out was because I thought they dropped it. I got into the anime last year, but by that time they had already stopped releasing sets, and I didn't want to own an incomplete series (although I did start buying the manga after knowing full well that Viz dropped it). I hope sales of the movie increases the chances of them putting more DVD sets out.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Surprised to see this, but good news. Hopefully they'll put out some more of the TV series as well.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Maybe i missed it,but was it explicitly outright said they dropped the series? I just thought they had trouble licensing more.

Would be nice if there was a dub for this movie if the above were true,that they dropped it. Considering gintama has only had one movie. If not,it won't affect my decision,ill still get it

Just don't understand how this series us selling so poorly Question
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
Just don't understand how this series us selling so poorly Question

The problem is that there isn't really a market for it over here.
The show is full of gags that many people won't understand, and is rather slow to start off.
As for DVDs, even stuff like One Piece, Naruto and Bleach struggles to sell these days. That's because these shows are hundreds of episodes long, and many people just can't afford the investment in such shows.
Alot of people just rely on digital distribution for such shows these days.

That's why this movie is a safer bet.
It's an easier purchase decision than starting to collect a 201 episode-long show on DVD with the potential of the follow-on show being an unknown amount of episodes.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah all that is true, ;sigh;

Can't blame them for wanting to play it safe. But if they were to do a dub on it,personally i think it would be nice if they did it Ala shin Chan style. (Your milleage may vary on that) for some of the culture heavy jokes.

But either way like i said,its still a must buy for me.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
Will definitely import this, as well as Sets 5 onwards if they ever come out *crosses fingers* I LOVE THIS SHOW!
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
OH GOD!! Guess its time to start saving money for this then Very Happy
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Chris Beveridge confirmed with David Williams (Sentai rep) that the Gintama movie will be bilingual!

http://www.fandompost.com/2012/02/10/gintama-the-movie-will-be-dubbed/

Quote:
We inquired about that this morning have received confirmation from David Williams that the release will indeed be bilingual (no cast announcements at the moment unfortunately!) and that according to current policy, if a blu-ray is solicited, it will be bilingual.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
It's good to have confirmation. Gintama fans may celebrate now. Smile

Even more reason to celebrate! Kyle Jones will be directing this! I'm pretty pumped that he's back. Smile
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Chris Beveridge confirmed with David Williams (Sentai rep) that the Gintama movie will be bilingual!

http://www.fandompost.com/2012/02/10/gintama-the-movie-will-be-dubbed/

Quote:
We inquired about that this morning have received confirmation from David Williams that the release will indeed be bilingual (no cast announcements at the moment unfortunately!) and that according to current policy, if a blu-ray is solicited, it will be bilingual.

Yessssssss! Yesssss!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Pretty much this.
To my knowledge Sentai has not made a statement that BD=Dub. That conclusion was just from fans who noticed a pattern. I will be more shocked if this movie gets a dub than if Sentai breaks their pattern of dubbing shows with BD releases.

At least we DO have a statement from Sentai now.

"Sentai Filmworks confirmed with ANN on Friday that it will include an English dub on its upcoming release of Gintama: The Movie (Gintama: Shinyaku Benizakura-Hen) on DVD and Blu-ray Disc, noting its policy to dub titles it releases on Blu-ray Disc. "
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3