• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam AGE & Seed BDs to Have English Subs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Well if truth be told. DVDs are becoming scares, Blue-Rays won the format war. Its all-over in Japan.. They only have DVD players now.

I didn't realize it but, its difficult to find a decent DVD Player now since its become scarsit.

Gundam only being Blue-Ray isn't shock, i'm glad that subbing in English is practical for the industry over there since its automated computer i believe that does the subbing.

I will not cry over the death of Dubbing, its been terribly hard industry, where alot of Dubbs that come to US are kiddized/dumbed for television broadcast.

All I can say about Banai and other Japanese companies are suffering from cultural differience. I've come to conclude, US markets like their series per-season than couple episodes per disk. Its dub, costly. We like entire series if possible in same box.

Rentals for DVDs in rental stores are nearly exinct now with few Mom-Pop out fits (god love them) left.

The Internet killed Video Store.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
And so it begins.... Confused

Now that Bandai Entertainment's gone, whenever a new Gundam comes out, Bandai Visual will just slap some cheap English speed-subs on it without a dub and expect people to pay hundreds of bucks to import only a handful of episodes. And the sad thing is.... a lot of people will actually do it.

Like we haven't been there before. Rolling Eyes

Ingraman wrote:
OtakuboyT wrote:
I will not pay those insane prices again. Sure us old timers remember paying $20-$30 for a tape with 1 or 2 episodes. BUT NEVER AGAIN.

Don't apply that "NEVER AGAIN" to me. Anime smile I'm not an "old timer", but I've been watching and buying anime since gaining an interest in 1991. I remember those $30 VHS tapes, and I didn't mind the $30 DVD-singes (with 2-3 times the episode count) from just a few years ago. If prices had kept up with inflation, then they'd have been significantly more expensive. I've also been importing audio and video discs since the early '90s (heck, I think that I may have purchased a Japanese Patlabor VHS tape back in '91 from the LA Kinokuniya).

Those were fun times indeed! Today's generation is a tad spoiled I take it. There was such a thing as earning something through whatever hard work or know-how had to go into it (how I had to get into it).

Quote:
Quote:
We over here are cheap.

Yeah, most people are, and that's what Funi and others have been giving us the option to buy.

Well blame our economy if you had to go somewhere.

Conan-san wrote:
Yes, but there's no upside ether. It's no gain, no loss. Just existance. A purgatory where success is not glory.

Just like the comic book industry.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Great, so now that Bandai doesn't exist,

Funny, I didn't think the entire corporation just collapsed.

Quote:
Worst idea ever.

I've seen far worse things personally.

EpicLotus wrote:
I just ordered the LE for Gundam AGE vol. 1 off CDJapan. I'm glad they're making this move, as I was interested in AGE when I first heard about it.

Good for you, you're learning!

Wrangler wrote:
I will not cry over the death of Dubbing, its been terribly hard industry, where alot of Dubbs that come to US are kiddized/dumbed for television broadcast.

Some can be good if the right people or companies were behind them.

Quote:
Rentals for DVDs in rental stores are nearly exinct now with few Mom-Pop out fits (god love them) left.

At least you care. I hate where it's headed.

Quote:
The Internet killed Video Store.

And in 20 years something else will come by and kill that too, just you wait.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
the future of Gundam perhaps. Maybe not too bad a thing.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that this is not something exclusive to Gundam for Sunrise (they subtitled Tiger & Bunny), it isn't as though DVD can't still happen for AGE, and with the exception of Awakening of the Trailblazer Gundam never had a typical R1 release on Blu-Ray anyhow. It's not like we'd be getting AGE on Blu-Ray even if Bandai Entertainment were still doing its thing.

English subtitles should be a default feature for anime on Blu-Ray. There are multiple anime & movies on Blu-Ray that have no subtitles and also have very slim chances of a R1 license (hello, Macross Frontier movies). There isn't a good reason for it not to be import-friendly...just as long as R1 does get the love in the end. And right now it's way too early to be declaring that nothing will happen with AGE and Tiger & Bunny in the U.S.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
so are they actually good subtitles or weird Hong-Kong bootleg-esque broken subtitles?
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
AGE can still have an R1 release right? Since the DVDs are not subbed and I doubt it would profit from a dub so hopefully Sentai can pick it up for a subbed DVD release. Cause I'm not paying no $300 for 13 episodes when AGE starts getting subbed BR sets. AGE flopped in Japan so I doubt Sunrise would have to worry about reverse importing if Sentai decides to license it.

As for SEED Remaster its going to be a long ass while until I can afford it. xD I think I'll just buy the remaster instead of the one Bandai USA released. My wallet is going to cry forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3