• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - S-E-X-X-I-S-M

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
@ ljaesch - you provide a classic example of why people shouldn't comment on shows they haven't actually watched. Yamada's First Time has an out there premise, for sure, but people who actually watch it realize it is no where near as lurid as the premise suggests. Yamada is definitely ditzy in some of her attitudes and if your opinion is that any representation of female ditziness is inherently sexist, then yeah, I guess YFT is sexist. There is an element of male wish fulfillment to the show with the fact that Yamada, who is represented as a popular fox, actually becomes interested in an ordinary guy, so if your attitude is that all male wish fulfillment elements are inherently sexist, then yeah, I guess YFT is sexist.

Interestingly enough, YFT has a rarity in anime in that Yamada has a female friend who is constantly exasperated by Yamada's cluelessness. What's rare about the character is that she is portrayed being in a completely normal relationship with a normal boyfriend. Lovely Complex is just about the only other show I can think of that showed that as well.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Ah B Gata H Kei. That one's gonna be an interesting debate indeed. Admittedly I didn't watch the show for a long time since the premise put me off and the Funimation trailers I saw of the show made me automatically assume the lead was well...a slut. Of course it did get recommended to me enough to actually check it out.

At first it seemed like what I assumed it was but when I finished it I found the show to be more of a commentary on sex in teen relationships in general rather than mindless wish fufillment. Though I guess it helped that the focus was actually on the relationship itself rather than generic harem elements. Heck the one or two "rival" characters in the series don't do much to hinder it at all.

Of course that's just my two cents on it. For the most part I'm against mindless wish fulfillment shows. They do get repetitive after a while and it does get tiring seeing archetypes rather than actual characters.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
The one thing that really aggravates me is, that as a man, if I dare to like moe, express a sexuality, or anything of the like, my views are hyper-over-analyzed and I am yelled at for "enabling the Patriarchy".

It's tiring. You can't like hot chicks or some hyper-militiant feminisy is gonna start yelling at you.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
There is an element of male wish fulfillment to the show with the fact that Yamada, who is represented as a popular fox, actually becomes interested in an ordinary guy, so if your attitude is that all male wish fulfillment elements are inherently sexist, then yeah, I guess YFT is sexist.

....aaaaand you find the exact same type of thing in shojo reverse-harems!

-I try to evaluate these things in my head when I am feeling like something is sexist. I felt a little bit that way about Air and Kanon, where the male protagonist is there to "fix" the problems all these girls have. I start thinking "Why are these girls needing some guy to show up and, presto, their problems are solved! as if they are absolutely unable to do it for themselves!!" ---but of course, then I start thinking about how the same thing occurs in reverse harems where the female protag goes around fixing all these damaged guys...

So yeah, this "wish fulfillment" thing definitely goes both ways.

I think us women complain because there is so much more animated media directed at men. It feels sexist when it really isn't. It is just what the market has delivered for the existing demand (up to now), which had largely been male. I can understand the complaints, but if women want to change this they have to do it by proving that they have a viable purchasing power, and actually pay money for shows directed at them (and the general market). Money talks. wink:

Fortunately, I think this is happening more here. Smile

Unfortunately, not so much in Japan, where the content is made. Sad
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

@configspace:
Assuming you're quoting yourself at the end there (and if not, whoever said what you quoted), that's an... interesting definition of sexism.

Here's what most people actually mean when they use that word:
1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women
2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex
(source: Merriam-Webster)

This is Collins' World English dictionary single definition:
Quote:

— n
discrimination on the basis of sex, esp the oppression of women by men

Quote:
Sexism is way more than the denial of legal rights, just the same as for racism, homophobia, and any other form of prejudice. Restricting it to pure civil legal rights is a nice way of ignoring how at least 90% of prejudice operates on a social non-legal level.

And it should be limited to just that--essentially the M-W definition #1 (or Collins')--because it is the only objective way to define it, as acts of discrimination or restrictions based solely on gender e.g. denying a job because the person is female, or limiting their roles because of sex; again, NOT the expression of preferences based on sex or sexuality

In fact, that different M-W definition #2, the one most think of, and what you say accounts for 90% of sexism, is not only worthless and but actually self-defeating.

The only way you can ever avoid and actually resolve the non-objective "sexist" debate--to not be sexist according to yours or that M-W def #2--is if you did not have any gender in the first place. Like Vantos mentioned, the whole issue arises because of inherent differences and essentially is an argument over what attitudes and thoughts about such differences is right and wrong. How do these "stereotypes of social roles based on sex" come about to begin with? The stereotypes don't just arise out of nothing. They have come about due to some real experiences, regardless of whether you rightly or wrongly apply it to everyone (an observation made about some female friends could only be true for those people, or it could be true for most others; or it could be true with some cultures and not others, etc). That such a definition acknowledges people's recognition of social roles but makes no value judgement about peoples "behavior, conditions, or attitudes" towards those roles, nor defines what is or isn't a real stereotype vs an empirical observation means that any thought regarding any difference between genders is automatically sexist.

I'd go further and say that concentrating on that latter, subjective "90%" part, is not only pointless, but is actually counter productive if not harmful. It's polarizing because it tries to shame people into political correctness--and even defining that is relative--which usually backfires, and limits the range of expression and roles people may assume and explore and tries to pigeonhole people into being and thinking in certain "right" ways. For example a woman may try out a more demure role, and she might try out a more assertive role. She should be free to explore those without any stigma and likewise men should be able to express any preferences without any stigma (as well as explore roles and behaviors on their own).

tuxedocat wrote:

I think us women complain because there is so much more animated media directed at men. It feels sexist when it really isn't. It is just what the market has delivered for the existing demand (up to now), which had largely been male. I can understand the complaints, but if women want to change this they have to do it by proving that they have a viable purchasing power, and actually pay money for shows directed at them (and the general market). Money talks. wink:

I pointed out the large (very large) market that caters to women in Japan previously in manga, some games, written, and real world services. But you're right there isn't as a high a level in animated works yet. However I do see an increasing amount of bishounen and fujoshi-appealing shows overall, which is all the more apparent if you compare the anime now with those from a decade or more ago.

Last edited by configspace on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Also, it's been 8 pages and no one has actually stated what exactly is so bad about wish fufillment.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The one thing that really aggravates me is, that as a man, if I dare to like moe, express a sexuality, or anything of the like, my views are hyper-over-analyzed and I am yelled at for "enabling the Patriarchy".

It's tiring. You can't like hot chicks or some hyper-militiant feminisy is gonna start yelling at you.

Has this ever actually happened to you? I'm going to guess the answer is "no".

There are a few people in here complaining about "oh those militant feminists! they just won't let a man be a man!", and in my experience the people who drag out that really tired old strawman and wave it around to show everyone how oppressed they are have never actually been confronted by one of these mythological "militant feminists". Based on the sheer amount of complaining I've seen about "feminists" and the wild descriptions of their behavior by anime fans defending their taste, I'm not sure the people complaining even know what a feminist is or have ever actually had a conversation with one. It's just this fake boogeyman, something they can trot out when they're feeling like someone is *GASP* judging the material they like harshly.

Someone arguing that moe fantasies are sexist, believe it or not, is not oppressing you. They aren't stopping you from enjoying the material for whatever reason you like. A woman pointing out that moe fantasies are sexist is not a "militant feminist" who's trying to put your penis on trial. Obvious victimhood fantasy going on here.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac, my point is, someone saying "Moe anime is sexist" always has the connotation. It's ingrained into the word "sexist". You shouldn't like sexist thing because sexist things are bad (which they are).

That's why people tend to get all defensive and stuff when you call something they like sexist. You're pretty much implying that they are scum and that they shouldn't like it.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
A great deal to consider. My mind is a sixteen-car pileup of ideas and priorities at the moment, but at least less so than last night.

I must confess to having a sometimes fraught relationship with feminism et al. In the past I have come to anti-sexist conclusions when in a vacuum, working from just my own observations about differences in portrayals and behavior, but rankled terribly when I read actual feminist opinion, but some of that might have been because the style and radicalism of the feminists whose opinions I was reading, which I'd like to believe is just a general phenomenon since I've been repelled from every ideology under the sun by its more obnoxious practitioners at some point. Resuming my interest in anime and manga last spring has made me more interested and sympathetic. I think that it might be a consequence of a sort of 'culture shock', because when I 'left' in late 2004 or early 2005, ecchi, moe and loli seemed to be at a lower ebb or at least hadn't reached the 500-megaton yield hyper-atomic bomb level that they have been refined to. I admit that sometimes nude adult women with merely idealized, but plausible proportions don't even register as fanservice.

My greatest fear is overreaching or overreacting to the point that I become unreasonable doctrinaire or puritan and make the classic mistake of presuming offense upon the part of a group that I am not a member of.

vashfanatic wrote:
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I think your last point is the most interesting. What exactly IS to be accomplished in regard to sexism in anime? Japan is an island nation in more than a literal sense - cultural and lingual barriers continue to obstruct foreign influences, and it's not as if there's a feminist revolution brewing locally.

The one big exception to the "isolation" principle would be the mass consumption of American media. While obviously the way one audience receives a work will be different from another (nobody watched Dark Knight in this country, I swear), I think one of the best things we (and I assume you mean non-Japanese) can do is take care of our own house first. Make strong characters from marginalized groups (be they women, LGBT, racial minorities, etc.) that don't conform to stereotypes and ship them overseas.

I can't tell you what all of Japan is like because I live in an unusual part of it, but most women below a certain age where I live work. The girls I teach anticipate working. None of them answer "housewife" when I ask them in English classes what they want to be when they grow up. One of them wants to be a cop.

Polls have shown that while most young single women in Japan want to marry, very few want to do it "soon." While on a values level Japan is very sexist, on a reality level, women are becoming more independent. Hence, I think, the insecurity you see around women in male-targeted escapist media like manga and anime.

I don't suppose that there is much that Western fans can do to influence anime in Japan. Our market power there is very marginal, so I suppose that 'putting our own house in order' and not patronizing the nasty stuff is the best that can be done.

Perhaps there is some hope in how sexism in anime has changed. It's not at a good place, by any measure, but perhaps it suggests that good changes are occurring. If one looks back at some earlier anime and manga, especially gekiga and some of Yoshiaki Kawajiri's work like Wicked City, the frequency and awfulness of rape is shockingly higher. It certainly is still there, but I think that infantilization and exaggerated objectification are better than the violent rape is the default.

vashfanatic wrote:
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I can't help but suspect some of the more sexist aspects in anime today are related to the decay of people's well-being. How many anime nerds are poor students, working poor, or not working, AND poor? If anime was an IV drip and exploitation an opiate, the quiet misery of an isolated life might leave one frantically mashing the painkiller button...

Oh, absolutely. The innocent, naive, virginal girl who you can both lust after and get to be protector/mentor/defender? For young men without good jobs, without much hope for advancement, and with an entire culture telling them they're losers for it, this kind of self-esteem boosting fantasy must be addictive.

That's another issue to raise with moe: it exploits the hell out of guys with anxiety and massive insecurity. The need to feel something reminds me a lot of how I was when I went through a bout of serious depression. I wonder how many young men use moe instead of therapy or medication?

I could certainly imagine that some kind of social isolation and low quality of life might influence portrayals of women in anime. As distasteful as it might be, I could imagine sexism coming from a sympathetic place. I reminds me of this letter from a man who goes to strip clubs who was looking for even a simulacrum of the intimacy that his tedious job and concomitant lifestyle doesn't afford him.

I understand the desire to swaddle oneself in a sort of comfort. I joke about being so depressed once that I spent an afternoon watching Ikki Tousen while eating an entire pepperoni pizza, but that really happened because I felt so awful at the time that I badly wanted to drown myself in simple, adolescent feelings to numb myself to the misery that seemed to surround my life at the time.

willag wrote:
And yet, when we get fanservice for girls that's the equivalent of some of the male fanservice (y'know, instead of T&A it's P&A), suddenly it's all a BIG DEAL. I can't really say I'm above it either. Like LMFAO's "Sexy and I know it" video. Many giggles and gasps were had amongst friends and family (with a few being too embarrassed and walking away), and we recommended it to others as if it was some big kept secret. It's men in speedos shaking their junk. As if we haven't seen millions of women jiggling their boobs or shaking their buns all of the time. But it's still a spectacle.

I've never had that an experience as you described with "Sexy and I Know It", but then again I was raised by a mother who has routinely noted that part of why she likes watching wrestling (as in high school 'real' wrestling, not the WWE) is because the wrestlers have cute butts and the only other woman whom I deal with regularly is a friend's girlfriend who is in some ways nerdier than I and generally quite sexually frank. Such things do make me slightly uncomfortable, but more because I'm just uptight like that; my father and I almost never make any even vaguely analogous comments. (My brother takes more after my brother on that measure) I've actually come to have a strange fondness for women who are openly a little prurient. I worry that my attitude might almost be condescending, because in a way it amuses me; when I hear a women profess some sort of sexual interest in an attractive man, I almost want to smile and say, "bravo." Part of it is definitely that such sentiments, seeming very safe, don't and perhaps can't seem at all threatening, owing to, I suppose, the phenomenon that I tried to illustrate with that weird analogy involving East Timor (trust me, that seemed much funnier and more cogent at 1:30 AM after nearly three hours of fighting to make something coherent of that post). Perhaps I just want to encourage franker, more abundant female sexuality partly to license men to keep indulging theirs. (This feels like it's getting perilously close to things that one should only tell a licensed psychologist from a leather sofa)

willag wrote:
For women it's different. Like you mentioned, women are more likely to be labeled as "loose" or "whores" for liking such overtly sexual stuff. For being open about sexuality. For having multiple partners. It's more socially accepted that fanservice for women revolves more around feelings, emotions, and relationships, not the overtly sexual stuff. We aren't as used to this way of thinking, we haven't been as desensitized to it. Expecting sexual fanservice for men is the norm. Sexual fanservice for women is not as common. The number of Playboy-like magazines outnumbers the number of Playgirl-like magazines. And finding porn online made for women in mind is hard (as a woman who enjoys porn, I can vouch for that).

I'd like to think that the worm is turning some of this. I'd like to see the day when threads about Aya Hirano pass by without somebody mentioning how she slept with most of her band, followed by justifications of it being pointed out with invocations of Otaku fixations on purity, which certainly are the 'is', but probably shouldn't be the 'ought'.

The lesser availability of things that appeal to the prurient interests of women leads me back to figuring out what the ideal world would be. Do we need to bring the quantity of women's pornography up to parity with what's available for men, bring what's available for men down to par with what's available for women. My guess is that, although it feels too vapid and easy to claim, the best option is probably some middle point between more for women and less for men, although that might just be an inevitable side-effect of there being some limit to the maximum possible size of market for pornography.

Vantos wrote:
Way to evade my argument, vashfanatic. I didn't even say men were oppressed; in fact, I went with the opposite. What I was saying was that accusations of sexism are grounded primarily in a desire to squelch liberty for the sake of a false equality or outright revenge against men, disregarding any principles of justice or individual rights. It's not okay to level specious charges against any particular man just because of "The Patriarchy."

I think that you're complaints are built upon relatively small problems. Accusations of sexism can be abused and in some cases it does work against men, but those are mostly at the margins. In most instances, circumstances are slanted against women. What this demonstrates is the distorted, inaccurate sense of proportion that I attributed to dominant groups. In many cases, things will be easier or go better for a man than a woman and women have a more limited ability to 'get their way' or to attain an advantageous position. Your invocation of liberty arguments is strange to me because in almost no material way can women, who hold distinct minorities of judgeship, legislative seats, executive offices and positions of authority generally, coerce men to surrender liberties or deprive them of liberties. Most of what they can do is try to convince by exercise of their own liberties. Libertarian arguments in these cases function as arguments for a status quo because they want to exclude social interventions to 'let be' a system that has been constructed by centuries of male dominance.

Ultimately, the way I see it is that those in dominant groups will fuss and struggle mightily over having to give up or allow very little from subordination groups.

RyanSaotome wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
OK, from the description I saw at ON DEMAND, I could tell I wasn't the target market for this series, but as someone who writes about anime, I try to expose myself to as many different things as I can. However, when I went into it, I didn't think I'd find myself wanting to throttle the main character as much I did by the time I was finished. My apologies to any fans of Yamada's First Time that read this, but I really didn't care for it, and I really have no intention to watch it any further.

Honestly, I'm not sure who IS the target audience of Yamada's First Time. It was a critical flop in Japan since the male anime fans there hate slutty girls, and in America I doubt it'll really be a hit with any demographic either.

Yamada's First time - B Gata H Kei intrigues me. I had written it off because of what it looked like, or rather the people that it seemed to want to appeal to, and the harsh treatment that it got from some of the previews (especially by Zac and JesuOtaku), but then I read Botan42's rather approving opinion of it, yielded after having watched it with her husband. I watched the first two episodes myself and did like some of it, but felt uncomfortably ambivalent (Just the final paragraph, after a lot of groaning about Baldr Force EXE). It's also of note that the mangaka who created it is a woman, although I don't know how the anime might have changed from the manga.

I liked Yamada herself, I didn't interpret her as stupid, but as strangely naïve and misguided with wrongheaded ideas about sexuality.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A great deal more has been posted as I was writing this, but I grown weary of trying to force thoughts out for the moment and am badly overdue for lunch.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Blood- wrote:
There is an element of male wish fulfillment to the show with the fact that Yamada, who is represented as a popular fox, actually becomes interested in an ordinary guy, so if your attitude is that all male wish fulfillment elements are inherently sexist, then yeah, I guess YFT is sexist.

....aaaaand you find the exact same type of thing in shojo reverse-harems!

-I try to evaluate these things in my head when I am feeling like something is sexist. I felt a little bit that way about Air and Kanon, where the male protagonist is there to "fix" the problems all these girls have. I start thinking "Why are these girls needing some guy to show up and, presto, their problems are solved! as if they are absolutely unable to do it for themselves!!" ---but of course, then I start thinking about how the same thing occurs in reverse harems where the female protag goes around fixing all these damaged guys...

So yeah, this "wish fulfillment" thing definitely goes both ways.

Well air, kannon and clannad tried to play off more on emotions/drama with subtlety as a part of the story. The MC's worked hard yes to fix the said problems as a friend to the female the character not some big overseer that felt sorry for her all the time. I have felt the same way about some one when I was in high school, again personal details that I shall leave out.

Recently I have been watching the anime Baccano, that's the first time in a long time I have seen a strong female lead that doesn't take shit from others, maybe I'm a little slow on watching series but damn it's good. This has been an interesting pod-cast and has made me think a-lot but still anime could be dwell worse in sexism with such series like Manyuu Hikenchou....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It's also of note that the mangaka who created it is a woman, although I don't know how the anime might have changed from the manga.

On this note, there are many many such material created by women, I think often unexpected by some in the West, like Sekirei, Chu-Bra, Girls Bravo, Gokujyo, Kodomo no Jikan, etc.

There's a story about some guy accusing the game Skull Girls of being "sexist" to the lead dev and he was surprised to find out that the animator was a woman, who not only enjoys it but designed those bouncing boobs in for example.

(I put "sexist" in quotes because again, it's all BS, practically nothing discussed here qualifies as I point out in my previous post; otherwise the logical alternative being that any discussion regarding the genders qualify as sexist)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

(I put "sexist" in quotes because again, it's all BS, practically nothing discussed here qualifies as I point out in my previous post; otherwise the logical alternative being that any discussion regarding the genders qualify as sexist)

Yes, you've made it extremely clear that you have a very high opinion of yourself and you're only willing to discuss the issue on your own defined terms. We're aware you've dismissed 90% of everything everyone else is talking about. Perhaps you've also noticed nobody particularly feels like playing by your little rules and is generally ignoring your "NO EVERYONE HAS TO TALK ABOUT SEXISM LIKE I SAY" grandstanding.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Honestly, I'm not sure who IS the target audience of Yamada's First Time. It was a critical flop in Japan since the male anime fans there hate slutty girls, and in America I doubt it'll really be a hit with any demographic either.

Yamada's First time - B Gata H Kei intrigues me. I had written it off because of what it looked like, or rather the people that it seemed to want to appeal to, and the harsh treatment that it got from some of the previews (especially by Zac and JesuOtaku), but then I read Botan42's rather approving opinion of it, yielded after having watched it with her husband. I watched the first two episodes myself and did like some of it, but felt uncomfortably ambivalent (Just the final paragraph, after a lot of groaning about Baldr Force EXE). It's also of note that the mangaka who created it is a woman, although I don't know how the anime might have changed from the manga.

I liked Yamada herself, I didn't interpret her as stupid, but as strangely naïve and misguided with wrongheaded ideas about sexuality.

I, too, was all set to dislike Yamada's First Time...and then my sister lent me her copy when I told her I was going to begin reviewing anime as well as manga. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and while I was prepared to dismiss it as sexist filth, what I got out of the show was not that Yamada was reprehensible or fanservice-bait, but, as surrender artist said, naive. I hesitate to say that she is totally misguided, because while I certainly don't share her goals, I did like that she felt comfortable enough to take charge of her own sexuality. Granted, it was not in what we would necessarily consider a positive way, but she did not consider herself a proverbial bad girl for it. It is also of note that she was not the only girl who was looking for sexual action in the show - most of her classmates were just as curious as she was, whether they were male or female. (It also helped that the dub was very funny...)

In any event, sexism (and I tend to agree with vashfanatic about the definition) is, to me, more offensive when seen in an anime or manga with a female target audience. No, it isn't good when the women in, say, Cage of Eden exist only to be panicky and to depend on the boys while flashing boob and crotch, but there is less expectation that females will be reading it, even if that is not necessarily true. When shoujo authors like good ol' Mayu Shinjo show that the girl is to be subservient to the boy or that rape = love, I think we have a bigger problem.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I don't suppose that there is much that Western fans can do to influence anime in Japan. Our market power there is very marginal, so I suppose that 'putting our own house in order' and not patronizing the nasty stuff is the best that can be done.

And that's the thing. It's a Japanese product for a Japanese audience, that's who it's made, marketed and specialized for. It is the way it is because that's who's buying it. Do I like a lot of what comes out these days? No, but if the product was never actually intended for me I can't really get all that worked up. I've been watching anime for a long time and I've learned to ignore what I don't like and instead concentrate on finding and enjoying what does appeal to me.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When shoujo authors like good ol' Mayu Shinjo show that the girl is to be subservient to the boy

Yes, yes, heaven forbid a guy like submissive chicks, CLEARLY HE IS AN INSTRUMENT OF THE PATRIARCHY.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 18