• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - S-E-X-X-I-S-M

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you have to be a gun-toting badass to be strong. You just have to be self-reliant.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I don't think you have to be a gun-toting badass to be strong. You just have to be self-reliant.

I completely agree that physical strength is largely irrelevant to being a strong character. In fact, physical strength can often even make a female character weaker in a sense. If a character is just as physically strong or stronger than "the men" and yet somehow still manages to be less self reliant than them, it really just serves to emphasize, rather than detract from, her overall weakness. (Perfect example: The girl from Highschool of the Dead that was mentioned in the podcast).

Of course, all that said, I think it's important that we not take the latter part of your post too literally (or perhaps, too universally). There seems to be an unfortunate tendency in some to get more than a little trigger happy when critiquing female characters. (This is not a veiled reference to you or to anyone here, just a general observation). Too often I see people look at strong, well written characters and pick them apart by ferreting out some minor instance where they aren't self-reliant. To me, this is totally erroneous though. In actuality, we all rely on others sometimes. That's not a bad thing. It doesn't make a character weak. It only becomes a bad thing when it occurs excessively or in such frequency that there is a distinct discrepancy between males and females.

Also, it's also important that we understand the differences between character traits and character flaws. There's a big difference between presenting a weak female character in a way that shows this to be a flaw and presenting it in a way that suggests this is perfectly right. The latter is bad but the prior is not. Not all characters (female or otherwise) must be (or in fact should be) strong. Fiction would be boring and disingenuous to real life if it portrayed everyone as being without flaws and/or presented everyone as being a strong, positive example. What we should strive for is not to eradicate all negative character traits but rather to see more of a healthy balance of strong in addition to flawed (Of course, there's something to be said for seeing a wider variety of flaws too as too much redundancy, even in a negative light, may inadvertently encourage gender stereotypes).
mdreura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I completely agree that physical strength is largely irrelevant to being a strong character. In fact, physical strength can often even make a female character weaker in a sense. If a character is just as physically strong or stronger than "the men" and yet somehow still manages to be less self reliant than them, it really just serves to emphasize, rather than detract from, her overall weakness. (Perfect example: The girl from Highschool of the Dead that was mentioned in the podcast).

Honestly, I think the podcast ignored a lot of context and makes out Saeko's breakdown at the end of HOTD out to be way more nefarious than it was ever intended to be. It didn't happen in a vacuum, and they spent a whole episode explaining it: spoiler[Saeko was sexually assaulted, and despite her confidence and poise as a talented martial artist, she's still traumatized.] You may not like how HOTD presented it. That's fine, it's only a half-season show after all, but they did go to some trouble to justify her break that went beyond her having ovaries. It's a show about the zombie apocalypse after all, if the characters had no failings there would be nothing to see in the show except a bunch of meaningless shooting.

A much more likely character for analysis and criticism, in my opinion, is the teacher Shizuka, who is an oversexed airheaded bimbo who threatens the survival of the whole group on several occasions though her dim-witted mistakes. In contrast, the main trio of females, Saeko, Rei and Saya, are every bit as physically capable, intelligent, and self-reliant as the two males, and don't seem to rely on them for survival anymore than they rely on eachother. They compose a majority of the main cast, and they do as much shooting and stabbing and strategizing as the boys, on pretty co-equal footing?

If HOTD says anything about sexism in anime, to me, it is once again that there are shades of gray and that there's really not that much content out there in the anime world that is just nakedly unapologetically misogynist. Exploitative? Yes. Pandering? Yes. But malicious? You don't really see that.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
So now that most everyone's gotten a chance to argue to what extant anime in general and certain anime are sexist, why might it even matter to begin with?

Some ideas that come to my mind are:

a. Sexism tends to walk hand-in-hand with two-dimensional characterisation. Better writing leaves less room for sexism.

b. Sexist content has a polarizing effect on audiences; otaku shows that rely on this for their entertainment; some have observed that Shoujo manga are exquisitely sexist. Such stories can be very successful regardless.

c. Sexism in anime appears to be a byproduct of exploitation; as a niche interest, I don't have a problem with schlocky things existing; intentionally or not, exploitative content is among some of anime's most amusing content. Nevertheless, the frustration among critics and viewers alike with the abundance of this content is that it gets tiresome. A shift in industry emphasis on storytelling for the sake of storytelling would be in the interest of anime's success critically and in the mainstream.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:

Honestly, I think the podcast ignored a lot of context and makes out Saeko's breakdown at the end of HOTD out to be way more nefarious than it was ever intended to be. It didn't happen in a vacuum, and they spent a whole episode explaining it: spoiler[Saeko was sexually assaulted, and despite her confidence and poise as a talented martial artist, she's still traumatized.]

Sorry for going off-topic but that's not Saeko's trauma. spoiler[She wasn't traumatized by the assult. No ordinary person could lay a hand on her. She was scared of how much she enjoyed the opportunity to brutally attack a human being. The (attempted) assault was just the thing that gave her license to do so.]
mdreura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
I think you're confusing the tangible cause with the emotional effect. You're looking at the character's complex as if it existed in a vacuum. The definition of trauma is:

Quote:
1 a : an injury (as a wound) to living tissue caused by an extrinsic agent b : a disordered psychic or behavioral state resulting from severe mental or emotional stress or physical injury c : an emotional upset

We obviously can't see into the character's mind, but it stands to reason that the character is the way she is as a result of traumatic emotions experienced in that incident, not because of something that was already a part of her personality that inexplicably manifested itself for the first time at the very same moment she happened to be attacked...
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
I think you're confusing the tangible cause with the emotional effect. <...>

We obviously can't see into the character's mind, but it stands to reason that the character is the way she is as a result of traumatic emotions experienced in that incident, not because of something that was already a part of her personality that inexplicably manifested itself for the first time at the very same moment she happened to be attacked...

I'm not questioning the application of the word "trauma" to the incident.
I was only commenting on this description:

mdreura wrote:
spoiler[Saeko was sexually assaulted, and despite her confidence and poise as a talented martial artist, she's still traumatized.]

I feel this is misleading because it calls forth a different image from what actually happened and what Saeko is actually worried about. spoiler[Especially, using "despite her confidence as a martial artist" sounds strange to me, as if she were worried about defending herself. Her concern is the opposite of that. Saeko is scared of what she might do to other people, not what others might do to her. She explains this explicitly; there's no need to worry about seeing into her mind. When describing that incident, she says "When I realized I held complete advantage over him, I pretended to be scared and baited him to act. Then I counter-attacked without hesitation. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it immensely."

The conversation itself began with her saying she didn't feel she had any right to get close to another human being, because she came close to killing someone. The pleasure she gets from hurting/killing people and her struggle with it is first hinted at very briefly in the first episode with a brief shot of her darkened face when after kills the infected student in the nurse's office at his request.

As for whether she had already experienced/recognized these urges to any degree before that incident or not, we don't know. But that's not important to my comment.]
arromdee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:

a. Sexism tends to walk hand-in-hand with two-dimensional characterisation. Better writing leaves less room for sexism.

More like the opposite way around: if you don't like the writing, the definition of sexism is flexible enough that you can automatically stick an accusation of sexism in there as well. See the "strong female character" argument--it doesn't even matter that there might not be any strong male characters by that definition, not to mention that there's so much subjectivity that almost any character can be accused of not being strong enough and there's no way to refute this.

There are too many calls for blatant double standards here, and nobody speaking up against them.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
There's also too much emphasis on having a boyfriend, being part of the princess fantasy, taking care of her daughter

Yes, because having a lover and ("GASP") caring about your offspring is sexist and proof that you aren't a strong female character.

Yes, that's the problem. Female to be considered strong character must be a way manlier than men. Real woman never wear dresses, have children or fall in love. You can be just healer, teacher, guide, adviser- but nothing counts if you don't hold a piece of iron.

I often see that many people narrow "strong character" to "character good in fighting". Like mentioned before Winry from FMA, always compared to characters involved in combat and of course always toned down into "love interest" with completely forgetting her complicated history and maturity. One of the common complaints about Berserk is the lack of strong female characters- while less people notice that all named female characters in the story are plausible for it's setting and have an important part, even if they don't fight.
mdreura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
As for whether she had already experienced/recognized these urges to any degree before that incident or not, we don't know. But that's not important to my comment.

It's important because if it was an intrinsic character element, then there's no reason at all for the writers to have given her the backstory they did. It would be meaningless except as cheap exploitation. Clearly, they scripted that episode the way they did because the event and her emotional damage are meant to be associated. How she rationalizes the experience to Takashi is only marginally relevant. That's the difference between her point of view as a character and our point of view as the audience.

I'm only going off of her character development as presented in the series. There's no point in speculating about something else that might have influenced her interactions outside of the chronology of the anime. If they had intended us to have a different impression, they would have presented it that way. What we have is what we get.

I bring up her poise as a martial artist, because to the guest on the podcast it must seem strange that she's resolute and kicking butt one episode, and helpless and crying the next. But the explanation is right there: While for the most part she is an emotionally stable character, she's still living with the effects of trauma from an experience of victimhood she has not forgotten or gotten past entirely, and run from in the pursuit of her art instead of confronting and coping with. That's what trauma is, and what it does to otherwise healthy people.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
cheap exploitation

I'm not a fan of the negative connotation the word "exploitation" has when used for this, as I see nothing wrong with things like Twilight or UtaPrince or misc harem stories, the purpose of which is to present characters for the audience to swoon over. But yes, that would be correct.

Saeko is constructed to be appealing to men, with attractive/entertaining characteristics and fetishistic aspects, just as the other women in Highschool of the Dead are.

Surely you remember what comes next in that episode after the conversation at night? It's one of the show's hallmark scenes. They even made a mug out of it, as a play on words.
http://i.imgur.com/1KQqx.jpg
I'm drinking from it as I type this. Embarassed
noigeL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Zarquon wrote:
With all this talk of the sexualization and objectification of women, you'd think that only female characters are badly written trope-fests. I grant you that there are so many examples of that it makes for an easy target. When listening to this I started to think about the other group of characters that are written as carbon copies of gender stereotypes. Males, notably male leads (snip)

arromdee wrote:

More like the opposite way around: if you don't like the writing, the definition of sexism is flexible enough that you can automatically stick an accusation of sexism in there as well. See the "strong female character" argument--it doesn't even matter that there might not be any strong male characters by that definition, not to mention that there's so much subjectivity that almost any character can be accused of not being strong enough and there's no way to refute this.

There are too many calls for blatant double standards here, and nobody speaking up against them.

Gentlemen, may I suggest that you both google "false equivalency" and take some time to read the information that comes up.

While a sexist harem show, for example, may have a weak male lead, his personality is weak only so the male viewers can easily insert themselves into that character's role. The female characters exist to be oggled at and objectified. The milquetoast male protagonist acts as an avatar for the viewer and makes it that much easier to sexualize the female characters who bounce around wanting to cook and clean for him or what have you. They are not the same and to suggest they are is indeed a false equivalency.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
arromdee wrote:

More like the opposite way around: if you don't like the writing, the definition of sexism is flexible enough that you can automatically stick an accusation of sexism in there as well.

Thus far we have nigh on 16 pages of discussion, of which no small part consists of trying to defend a few very poor understandings of sexism. I think our resident spin doctors are finding out the hard way that this kind of manipulation is not as easy as you say.

Quote:

That's an interesting way of looking at it; I could have sworn the last 200 posts weren't entirely emphatic consensus. Anyhow, you took issue with what I said about sexism and writing; in a nutshell, that accusations of sexism are too vague to be consistent in terms of quality writing. Let's revisit the definition of sexism as per dictionary.com:

Quote:
1. attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.

2. discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex, as in restricted job opportunities; especially, such discrimination directed against women.

If this is a definition as flexible as you say it is, I believe you will be able to demonstrate by arguing that the Miyazaki film Princess Mononoke is sexist.
arromdee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:

While a sexist harem show, for example, may have a weak male lead, his personality is weak only so the male viewers can easily insert themselves into that character's role. The female characters exist to be oggled at and objectified. The milquetoast male protagonist acts as an avatar for the viewer and makes it that much easier to sexualize the female characters who bounce around wanting to cook and clean for him or what have you. They are not the same and to suggest they are is indeed a false equivalency.

Those examples aren't equivalent. Actual examples that feminists call not-strong female characters often are equivalent to male ones. Sailor Moon is not a character in a harem show, but the way the criticism goes is that fans who like Sailor Moon say she's a strong character and fans who don't say she's not.

There are so many different things that can disqualify someone from being a strong character, and the interpretation of them is so dependent on personal preference, that it ends up applying to any character the fan wants it to.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Yes, that's the problem. Female to be considered strong character must be a way manlier than men. Real woman never wear dresses, have children or fall in love. You can be just healer, teacher, guide, adviser- but nothing counts if you don't hold a piece of iron.

I often see that many people narrow "strong character" to "character good in fighting". Like mentioned before Winry from FMA, always compared to characters involved in combat and of course always toned down into "love interest" with completely forgetting her complicated history and maturity. One of the common complaints about Berserk is the lack of strong female characters- while less people notice that all named female characters in the story are plausible for it's setting and have an important part, even if they don't fight.

More or less. In the west, 'strong females' are equated to how masculine they are, or basically how close to men they are; and a lot of people see femininity as weakness. I'm sure we've seen all the cliches used in western media; a masked person saves the hero by beating up tons of thugs, the hero congratulates him, then they take off their mask/helmet and expect you to be shocked it was a girl, thus humbling the male hero's preconceived notions. Those girl power episodes which results in "guys VS girls" competitions, where the girls pretty much always win most of the time because it'd be sexist if a man won. The smart, sarcastic, perfect housewife married to the fat goofball husband who always humbles him by getting the last laugh/word in a scene or argument. The bumbling idiot male action hero who's partnered with a more competent, flawless female partner, or just to mix it up a bit, the perfect female is the hero and the male is her bumbling inept sidekick.

While in Japan it's usually the opposite, embracing that femininity and making it their own, like in pretty much every magical girl series. You can stretch that to the whole 'androgyny' thing popular in Japan in general. Visual kei bands and J-pop artists, bishounen men in anime/manga and advertisements. In general, androgyny is a lot more prevalent in Japanese society compared to, say, America's. There's a lot less focus on masculinity in Japan, especially the Jersey Shore frat-boy type of masculinity. So looking at a foreign culture from the outside leads to clouded judgements, and people will superimpose their own values and cultures on it and see it as weird. Usually the only androgynous and feminine men in western media tend to be gay stereotypes. Masculinity plays different roles in each culture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18