• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv: Wizards of the Coast Plans Revival of Duel Masters Franchise

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hot dog! Very Happy
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7nl1jXIdY

Trailer and official site was revealed. The series will hit The Hub in the Summer with the new trading card game to launch the first half of this year in Hobby Stores with general retail release in the fall.

The show's animated in Korea by MOI Animation. It is written and voice acted in LA.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Oh dear, I think they're going to take it all seriously. I must confess that I only enjoyed the first series at all because it, at least in its English adaptation, played itself for laughs. It wore its welcome out after a while, but it was fun for a longer time than I would've expected.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Why?

The anime never stopped in Japan. They're still airing new episodes. You have many episodes of those to localize and dub. Why make your own American version? I suppose the next question is, is this going to be the Japanese card game translated or some new American reinvention as well?

It just baffles me why they'd go though all this trouble when they can just dub all the episodes Japan has. Probably on the cheap. Is it Mimi's jiggly boobs or something? It doesn't make any sense. It's like if 4Kids made their own Yu-Gi-Oh series. (Ok, Pyramid of Light and Capsule Monsters might technically count, but those were more commissions than full on US made stuff)
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Why?

The anime never stopped in Japan. They're still airing new episodes. You have many episodes of those to localize and dub. Why make your own American version? I suppose the next question is, is this going to be the Japanese card game translated or some new American reinvention as well?

It just baffles me why they'd go though all this trouble when they can just dub all the episodes Japan has. Probably on the cheap. Is it Mimi's jiggly boobs or something? It doesn't make any sense. It's like if 4Kids made their own Yu-Gi-Oh series. (Ok, Pyramid of Light and Capsule Monsters might technically count, but those were more commissions than full on US made stuff)

The current Japanese series is kind of awful, and has the animation quality of a PS2 game in HD.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
I'm aware, I've been watching all the DM series for years now. And it's more interesting than this looks (and Yodel is hilarious with his stupid expressions). Besides, they have plenty of stuff before Victory that they skipped.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Why?

This is probably the better way to do it; this way they don't have to worry about edits and upsetting previous fans. They don't have to twist Japanese kids TV standards into American kids TV standards. They don't have to worry about changing character names and pretend everything is happening in America. Out of all people, you should be glad they're not touching your beloved originals. Very Happy

And once again, here's one that was taken out:

Because straight from the TZ post of its American dub producer, the famed Kevin Rubio: "Dude, it's a cartoon, and she's TWELVE!!!! " Laughing

Now everybody do the Phantom Fish Flop!

TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Out of all people, you should be glad they're not touching your beloved originals. Laughing

Well, I can't argue with that, I guess.

Just seemed weird is all. Only other time I've seen this is when there is no more original for them to dub so they make their own (Golion and Voltron)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Out of all people, you should be glad they're not touching your beloved originals. Laughing

Well, I can't argue with that, I guess.

Just seemed weird is all. Only other time I've seen this is when there is no more original for them to dub so they make their own (Golion and Voltron)

And the Robotech movie as another one.

Anyways, this'll be an interesting situation since the first Duel Masters card game didn't catch on.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I suppose the next question is, is this going to be the Japanese card game translated or some new American reinvention as well?

The game's already a Japanese re-invention of Magic: The Gathering, anyway.

enurtsol wrote:
And once again, here's one that was taken out:

(.)(.)

Pretty sure that's a 'shop, man.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see the uncut Japanese version, but it doesn't seem to exist on the internet.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Uh...huh.

Genieric Cartoon that completly throws the gag dub out of the window?

Can totaly see this working...
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

This is such an obvious shop. Look at how sharp Mimi is compared to the rest of the image. It's like she's in focus, while everything else - including the Japanese time stamp overlay isn't. There's also aliasing, and some other issues, including someone not knowing how to properly remove the white border of their Mimi image...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

This is such an obvious shop. Look at how sharp Mimi is compared to the rest of the image. It's like she's in focus, while everything else - including the Japanese time stamp overlay isn't. There's also aliasing, and some other issues, including someone not knowing how to properly remove the white border of their Mimi image...

That is indeed a good possibility, but I'm still not sure. That pic dates all the way back to 2004 or earlier, when Photoshop and skillz were cruder, and the original Duel Masters images were hard to come by. And the aforementioned Kevin Rubio never disavowed the edit, even when made aware of the pic and seen it. Anybody wanna check the original videos for us?
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't give two craps about the cartoon (I admit a proper dub would be great). I just want the TCG to come back here.

I hope that the game remains intact

EDIT: For as long as I've seen that image, I'm just now starting to notice what Primus mentioned.

It IS a 'shop. A damn good one at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1