• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Tale of Two Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I for one LOVE Animax's english dub of Hayate the Combat Butler...Maria has a British accent Very Happy
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
This needs to be said. I just love the John Wayne Captain Harlock . That is all.

Actually thanks for this post Mike Toole. I love anime dubs, the weird ones, the crazy ones, the excellent ones, the shows with TWO dubs etc etc. A favorite show of mine that got dubbed twice is the original Gall Force movie. I talked about it in my review of the film. One was a hong kong kung fu dubbing studio, the other is a more modern NYC dub.

As for the K-on Animax dub, i just love it. Sure it's sloppy, sure it's not perfect, but it seems like the actors really cared and it shows. There's a lot to like about this less then perfect dub. I still have to buy Bandai's DVDs and hear the other dub.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I can't watch great anime dubbed; it offends my sensibilities as the Japanese seiyū are so extraordinarily attuned to the work, which I believe comes from a fundamental difference of respect for the medium.

I therefore treasure great subtitles that allow me to follow the emotional nuances of the works without being distracted.

Just been re-watching "Millenium Actress" with subtle subtitling & the Japanese 5.1 audio, can't be beat.

Please do an article on the great subtitle translators (Toren et al?).

Nico M
London
Charlie_Conway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Megazone 23. All three versions of part I have their pros and cons. I liked Robotech the movie's insert songs, but otherwise that "movie" frustrates me in so many ways.

Streamline's dub was really good for the most part. Bob Bergen was great as Shogo, and Greg Snegoff was perfect for BD. However the stock sound effects added in could be distracting at times.

ADV's dub was enjoyable as well. Most of the casting choices are spot on, except Allison Ship as Yui which takes some getting use to. The main flaw is the 80s slang and references just come off a bit more forced than they should have, but it didn't bother me THAT much, and I commend ADV's effort.

Last edited by Charlie_Conway on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I can really only put in a say in for Dragon Ball, the original one I mean. I grew up watching the Ocean dub of it, and while it's probably imperfect, I still liked it. Maybe I'm just clinging to nostalgia or something, but it was enjoyable to me, or decent for the least.

Would have been great if the dub's openings could have at least used the original footage, but hey, can't be picky with it, especially with such old dubs as that one.

I did watch the Ocean dubs of Z and GT as well, but I'll always prefer the original Dragon Ball over it, whether it be in anime or manga form. Shame that Z overshadows it, and GT as well.
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Charlie_Conway wrote:

ADV's dub was enjoyable as well. Most of the casting choices are spot on, except Allison Ship as Yui which takes some getting use to. The main flaw is the 80s slang and references just come off a bit more forced than they should have, but it didn't bother me THAT much, and I commend ADV's effort.

I like the 80's slang. In fact it makes that dub more enjoyable. It's totally set in the 80's on purpose, because that was such a great time to live in japan. If you listen to Matt's commentary track he explains why he took the dub this way, and I totally follow his reasoning. I didn't really find them forced at all. I think ADV's dub is great. No offense to the late, great Carl Macek, but I really dislike his dub on Megazone 23. So glad ADV re-dubbed it. In other news really liked his dubs on Crying Freeman and Golgo 13: The Professional (overacting...but in a good way!).
MattB1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
This is not really on topic, but, since it's related to Megazone 23, here goes.

ADV's DVD release of Part 1 had no option to turn off the song subtitling and English-language sign overlays for the English language track. It's not exactly a universe-shattering problem, but at least the Steamline dub version didn't have these subtitles obscuring the on-screen action.

I had wanted to see this anime (along with a few others) ever since I missed my first chance when it aired on the now-defunct Network One in 1995. While Megazone 23 was still solid entertainment when I rented it from Netflix, it would have been nice for ADV to put in a little extra effort and give us the option of watching a completely subtitle-free version.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
oh lord the different amount of dubs for the same shows.. I remember this so much for dbz. In all honesty I actually prefer the ocean dubs for dbz and still proudly own all the dbz movies they have released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
Oh man, the world of Dragon Ball dubs is a big one. We've got dubs made in Canada, the US, Malaysia, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong and maybe even more.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What about all the times Mystery/Secret of Mamo has been dubbed? You could do a whole series of articles just on that. I think they finally got it right with the Phuuz cast, even though there are a few stupid localizations in it. Tony Oliver is my favorite English dub voice for Lupin III.

So do you just like, not read this column...?

Mike Toole wrote:

One of the earliest examples in my collection would be the various versions of the 1979 film Lupin the 3rd: Secret of Mamo. I discuss the film in more detail in my Lupin column. That great old movie (which you can currently watch, in the US at least, for free on Hulu!) was dubbed no less than four separate times.

It's right there.

In addition to Secret of Mamo, The Castle of Cagliostro was also famously dubbed more than once. The Streamline one has been poo-poo'ed for years due to the "should've worn an asbestos suit!" script alterations, but I genuinely like Bob Bergen's Lupin the most. Hearing David Hayter not use his Solid Snake voice in old dubs just seems WRONG, but as far as I know the Manga Video dub is the only English version included on any DVD copy.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:28 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
I for one LOVE Animax's english dub of Hayate the Combat Butler...Maria has a British accent Very Happy

Candice Moore. These days she seems to have stopped doing anime dubs (though there are reruns of her old dubs), and mostly does voice-over announcing for Fox International Channels Asia.

http://hk.linkedin.com/in/candicemoorehk

There's a brief scene in the Hayate OVA where she plays a character with a Scottish accent.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, those Megazone 23 pt.1/Robotech dubs are really different. I think I like the 2004 ADV one better, but the latter is just so much smoother and natural. The "Steve McQueen?" line cracked me up. I don't usually listen to english dubs (nothing against them though), but it's interesting comparing these.

As a side note, I haven't watched Wings of Honneamise yet; those clips were the first of it I've seen and my jaw just about dropped. I knew it was supposed to be good, but... wow.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Oh man, the world of Dragon Ball dubs is a big one. We've got dubs made in Canada, the US, Malaysia, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong and maybe even more.

Okay now I'm no longer aware of which dubs of Dragonball I had watched as a kid.

From what I do remember, the DB dub I watched had an opening theme with flashing lights (no idea how to describe it), Goku was pronounced as Goh - koo, and Bulma as bul - mah. I watched it all on YTV since I live in Canada, but they may have swapped dubs, I dunno.

I don't suppose that's of any help though.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
As for the K-on Animax dub, i just love it. Sure it's sloppy, sure it's not perfect, but it seems like the actors really cared and it shows. There's a lot to like about this less then perfect dub.

Yeah. I'm watching the current re-run on Animax Asia. I guess casting Candice Moore as three regular characters (Tsumugi, Sawako, and Azusa) in the first season counts as sloppy, but keeping the Japanese honorifics and "Azu-nyan" in the dub was fun.

Other alternate Animax dubs include Ghost in the Shell: SAC (first two seasons), Innocence, Inu-Yasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Sgt. Keroro, and Magikano. Haven't heard the U.S. dubs so I can't make any comparisons.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
The Goron Marshall wrote:
Primus wrote:

Okay now I'm no longer aware of which dubs of Dragonball I had watched as a kid.

From what I do remember, the DB dub I watched had an opening theme with flashing lights (no idea how to describe it), Goku was pronounced as Goh - koo, and Bulma as bul - mah. I watched it all on YTV since I live in Canada, but they may have swapped dubs, I dunno.

I don't suppose that's of any help though.

That's the Blue Water dub, which was Ocean's non union studio. They are most infamous for having some really bad dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8