• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Tale of Two Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Quote:
So please, if it "offends your senses" you need to broaden those oh so ignorant senses of yours a bit Rolling Eyes

The problem is those very excellent American actors you mention are not part of Japanese culture. They don't understand the multiple meanings, the word-play, the ancient vocal traditions of Kabuki... I won't go on.

How American to take this personally. You prefer dubs is fine with me.

NMM
London

But we're not part of Japanese culture, either. We only know this sort of stuff because of research. Who's to say actors can't do research? A lot of them probably don't have the time, but I know both Greg Ayres and Crispin Freeman have mentioned researching for their roles before (and they're both anime fans--Greg Ayres even used to be a sub purist like you, actually). Heck, Crispin Freeman's taught classes on mythology in anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
I imported the UK DVD, because I'm one of the three or four people who really, really liked Innocence

That makes me number 2 so far. All we need is two more people to make the Fab Four!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Awwww, man. I haven't even read the last Mike Toole Show column. They're great, but they're relatively long and I find reading at length off of a screen uncomfortable, so I print them out and they end up languishing on my card table.

That's a complement, by the way, just a weird one.

And I'm glad that he mentioned the Ocean Group English dub of Galaxy Express 999, which I noticed from glancing through the article. I like it a lot. Having Dinobot as the voice of Captain Harlock is just too perfect to me. My real favorite, however, is Kathleen Barr, whom I thought portrayed Maetel's voice perfectly; managing to bundle a whole range of feelings, from melancholy to maternal, into her performance.

nicomorr wrote:
Quote:
So please, if it "offends your senses" you need to broaden those oh so ignorant senses of yours a bit Rolling Eyes

The problem is those very excellent American actors you mention are not part of Japanese culture. They don't understand the multiple meanings, the word-play, the ancient vocal traditions of Kabuki... I won't go on.

How American to take this personally. You prefer dubs is fine with me.

I could just reverse that by demeaning as terribly British for saying something inflammatory and condescending, then casting aspersions at others for reaping what you've sown.

I don't know if it is so and whole sequence of posts has been pointlessly mean-spirited, but you want to make things insulting, so we're making things insulting.

I also disagree with your opinion; it seems founded in a sort of artistic mysticism and idealization of the Japanese. In the first place, I don't think that whether American voice actors understand Japanese culture and wordplay matters to their performance. Those are largely things that would be interpreted and adapted by the translators, scriptwriters and directors. The actors could contribute and some probably do, but for the most part competent direction is responsible for accommodating things like that. Frankly, I doubt that such subtleties even matter or are present to a consequential extent in most anime. Something that comes from very deep within the peculiarities of Japanese culture might depend or at least benefit from being carefully attuned to culture, but most are upper-middlebrow entertainment about things that aren't terribly culturally specific, certainly enough so that they can't be faithfully adapted into spoken English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Mike thanks for another great column.

On the Wings of Honneamise according to Takeda Yasuhiro in his book The Notenki Memoirs (which was published int he US by ADV) the movie was a success in Japan. The theatrical run was was actually extended in one Tokyo theater. BTW the view that it was not a success also exists in Japan.

On the Patlabor Box sets they also include the complete storyboards translated into English, with the full script. This as the first two times original story boards had been published in the US.

I showed one of the box sets to a cinema professor and his jaw dropped when I told him the price. He could not believe how inexpensive they were. According to him comparable box sets for live action films are often in the $200.00 + range.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
So Manga UK's dub of Ghost in the Shell: Innocence was recorded at PAL speed after all. It makes sense, because I remember attempting to fix the "slow-down" problem on Bandai's DVD by pitching up the voices in an audio editor but ended up slightly distorting the sound effects as a result. It's as if the voices were recorded on top of a music and effects track that was sped up beforehand but not accomodated for the change in pitch.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:
I imported the UK DVD, because I'm one of the three or four people who really, really liked Innocence

That makes me number 2 so far. All we need is two more people to make the Fab Four!

Number 3 right here. Thank God, I'm not alone. Crying or Very sad
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
In addition to Secret of Mamo, The Castle of Cagliostro was also famously dubbed more than once. The Streamline one has been poo-poo'ed for years due to the "should've worn an asbestos suit!" script alterations, but I genuinely like Bob Bergen's Lupin the most. Hearing David Hayter not use his Solid Snake voice in old dubs just seems WRONG, but as far as I know the Manga Video dub is the only English version included on any DVD copy.

I prefer the Streamline dub as well. It might not be as accurate, but it has more personality.

And while I realise you're referring to US DVD releases, I thought I'd point out in case anyone might be interested that the Streamline dub is included on the UK Optimum DVD. It uses the same remastered transfer as the more recent US release and retains the original, unmolested opening credits sequence as well. It's also an NTSC > PAL conversion... win some, lose some.
hussar67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Media Blasters' release of Giant Robo? They gave you the choice of both dubs (L.A. and N.Y.) on a single disc.

It's funny, since the main Anglo-American dubbers have such distinct hallmarks and philosophies, I've often wondered if we could peak into a parallel universe to see what great titles would sound like if dubbed by another company. Imagine Cowboy Bebop dubbed by ADV; Fullmetal Alchemist dubbed by Ocean Group; would Revolutionary Girl Utena get a great dub if it had been produced by Bang Zoom and directed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn? Pondering it is almost like reading those alternate history novels.

And, yes Mr. Toole, Peter Marinker did kill it as Gatoh in those Manga Patlabor dubs. Those Patlabor movies on Encore were some of my first exposure to anime. When I heard a new dub was being produced for the movies, I immediately went on eBay to get a copy of the second movie before it disappeared completely.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Past wrote:
Oh that reminds me, does anyone else remember the very *first* dub of Project A-Ko, the one where everyone doesn't have southern accents? I loved that dub but they felt the need to redo it, because it was another instance where the rights changed hands, probably. The good dub I'm talking about is the one where the girl who played Shampoo from Ranma 1/2 did the voice for the very inoccuous and loveable C-Ko Laughing

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=954175#954175

jsevakis wrote:
I don't know where you got this from, but it's patently false. There is only one dub of the first movie, and it was the London-based Manga UK cast. That's what's on the DVD, and the original VHS. (CPM actually didn't even know how to produce their own dubs when that was released, hence getting Manga UK to help.)

All the sequels were Ocean dubs, though, and do feature Cathy Weseluk as C-ko.
So you're going to pass me off as either being delusional or a liar? Either way, or not it's no big deal to me. But you apparently recalled my post from earlier, that's why you linked Justin's reply. A fact is a fact and now that it's been brought to light again, there are apparently 3 English dubs of the first Project A-Ko movie. Cool!
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
hussar67 wrote:
would Revolutionary Girl Utena get a great dub if it had been produced by Bang Zoom and directed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn? Pondering it is almost like reading those alternate history novels.

On that note, didn't Enoki films release their own version of Utena (for Australian TV, I think?) with different names? It was called Ursula's Kiss.

Weren't ADV doing their own dub of Gurren Lagann. I think I heard they got a few episodes in before they had to scrap it when they lost it to Bandai.

Tangeantly related : A differant actor was used for Renton in Eureka 7, he got a few episodes in, but things weren't working out so they replaced him with JYB and redid all his lines.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
hussar67 wrote:
Imagine[:]
Don't mind if I do... Wink
Quote:
Cowboy Bebop dubbed by ADV
It'd be awesome and far better than the horrendous dub it was given. The extant dub of Cowboy Bebop almost made me a "sub-purist" for life.
Quote:
Fullmetal Alchemist dubbed by Ocean Group
Interesting. For truly a truly bizarre alternate-dub-universe, I envision Brian Drummond as Al.
Quote:
[W]ould Revolutionary Girl Utena get a great dub if it had been produced by Bang Zoom and directed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn?
We don't need to see other universes to answer that question. The answer is no. A deep, resounding, stalwart NO. Just as the Pope is Catholic and the Sun rises in the east, this hypothetical dub would suck, and suck horribly.
Quote:
Pondering it is almost like reading those alternate history novels.
While I've found those to be fun, sometimes they just suck. Just as the ones where Britain retains control of America suck (Code Geass also comes to mind), so would a bang/zoom dub.

Shenl742 wrote:

Weren't ADV doing their own dub of Gurren Lagann. I think I heard they got a few episodes in before they had to scrap it when they lost it to Bandai.
This should have been in Mike's column. I suspect that many anime fans haven't heard of most of the shows in this column, or care about them, but love it or hate it, just about everyone has heard about Gurren Lagaan.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Yup, they even made their own trailer for it. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1S8dLWtlCk
hussar67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Cowboy Bebop dubbed by ADV
It'd be awesome and far better than the horrendous dub it was given. The extant dub of Cowboy Bebop almost made me a "sub-purist" for life.
Quote:
[W]ould Revolutionary Girl Utena get a great dub if it had been produced by Bang Zoom and directed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn?
We don't need to see other universes to answer that question. The answer is no. A deep, resounding, stalwart NO. Just as the Pope is Catholic and the Sun rises in the east, this hypothetical dub would suck, and suck horribly.

I respectfully disagree. Anime smile
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

This should have been in Mike's column. I suspect that many anime fans haven't heard of most of the shows in this column, or care about them, but love it or hate it, just about everyone has heard about Gurren Lagaan.

Seriously?

Titles mentioned in the column:

Dr. Slump
Lupin III
Galaxy Express 999
Captain Harlock
Nausicaa
Robotech
Megazone 23
Wings of Honneamise
Patlabor
Rurouni Kenshin
Street Fighter II V
Ghost in the Shell
Ushio & Tora
K-ON

Except maybe for Ushio (which I think a lot of people passed over and forgot about) I think you'd be extremely hard pressed to find people on this site who haven't heard of most those titles.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:

Number 3 right here. Thank God, I'm not alone. Crying or Very sad

Count me as number 4, then. I...think I actually liked Innocence more than the original GITS. (I've probably lost geek cred by saying that, huh? Oh well.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8