• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This seems like a natural step in switching between the much more formal Japanese language and the far more casual everyday spoken English.

Where's the formal Japanese at for this particular show? The Japanese dialogue in this show, and most anime, seems very informal to say the least. That old wives' tale needs serious debunking.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
Probably she doesn't mean formal and casual per se, but the fact that even casual "teenspeak" Japanese is still a lot more "formal" (nicer, less crude, less swearing etc., whatever you want to call it) than its English equivalent?

jenthehen wrote:
Ick, Yamada's First Time is a million times better than Angel Beats! in my opinion. I am still in shock that anyone (let alone EVERYONE it seems) apparently LOVED Angel Beats.

Nah, I know plenty who were deeply disappointed by AB. These two shows can't really be compared. AB takes itself seriously after all. But as far as the comedy part goes ... imho Yamada was a lot funnier.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Now I'm going through the internal conflict of whether or not I should even dip into this title despite my utter hatred of the ecchi genre. Confused

Yamada is kind of a tamer anime version of Amercian Pie. Afair it really doesn't have much fanservice or ecchi at all, apart from the jokes. So it really depends if the humor works for you or not.
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
Perhaps the most easily stuck in your head, however, is the simple chant of “B Gata H Kei” that pops up from time to time.

Wow, I can't believe Rebecca noticed such tiny detail. I thought I was the only one who noticed that the chant played when Yamada realized something significant. The chant seemed so well placed and appropriate that I looked forward to it every time.

And a great review. I too went in expecting a crappy sex-crazed romp but with each episode, I was entertained more and more.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
King of Hearts: You caught me! I was very torn, actually, which is why I covered my tracks a bit. I honestly did think that the dub was much better than the sub, but the linguistic purist in me couldn't quite bring herself to ignore the changes. So while I should perhaps have owned it entirely, my inner academic was having a hissy fit. Rolling Eyes

Maaya is correct - I didn't mean that the characters used formal Japanese, but rather that English is just flat-out cruder in general, at least as teens speak it now.

How could I not notice that catchy little chant, vinamara? I've been walking around singing it for days...which was a bit awkward when my mother asked me what I was singing. Laughing
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Excellent review, I'm so glad that Rebecca did this one! Its nice to see another woman giving Yamada's First Time the "thumbs up". I especially agree with the whole being surprised by this show. I freely admit I started watching this expecting to be totally offended. Instead, I found myself dying of laughter by the end of the first episode. It was even better when I watched it dubbed. A terrific little series, and worth giving a shot.

I am pleasantly surprised that my instincts were correct in that many women might actually enjoy the show after all.

That doesn't happen often with me!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
King of Hearts: You caught me! I was very torn, actually, which is why I covered my tracks a bit. I honestly did think that the dub was much better than the sub, but the linguistic purist in me couldn't quite bring herself to ignore the changes. So while I should perhaps have owned it entirely, my inner academic was having a hissy fit.

Just to say:

I am not insulting you or your work, but I believe you shouldn't forgo your journalistic integrity just to appease some people. Who cares if some sub purists throw a bitch-fit? You're supposed to state your opinion anyway.

Also, I am studying to be a linguist, and personally, I ascribe to the school that the idea of "Linguistic Purism" is an absurdity. That's just my personal view on it, but I support even radical changes to a translation as long it gets across the same meaning to the audience viewing the translation (therefore, I don't support meaning-changing translations like 4Kids). From your review, B Gata H Kei's dub exactly that.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

jenthehen wrote:
Ick, Yamada's First Time is a million times better than Angel Beats! in my opinion. I am still in shock that anyone (let alone EVERYONE it seems) apparently LOVED Angel Beats.

Nah, I know plenty who were deeply disappointed by AB. These two shows can't really be compared. AB takes itself seriously after all. But as far as the comedy part goes ... imho Yamada was a lot funnier.

I think you can compare them as to how they each succeed in their given genres, though ... And Angel Beats fails miserably while Yamada soars with flying colors, IMO.
staab99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I love how most of the people here are bashing the show when they haven't even watched it! Razz

Seriously the show is hilarious, don't judge a box by it's cover. This is really a funny show, I had my doubts at first but it's really a funny and sweet show.

Did anyone order from Rightstuf and get the limited edition mouse pad?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
staab99 wrote:
I love how most of the people here are bashing the show when they haven't even watched it! Razz

Have you even read this thread? Most of the people in this thread rather liked it. I've only seen maybe 3 negative posts.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well,Willag. I've got to admit it. That was a cute poem you did. I liked it. I noticed that you did Dr. Seuss style. I liked the poem. It was nice.
staab99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I guess my joke was taken seriously! lol
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the feedback, Chagen46, and I can see where you're coming from. I think there may be a bit of confusion, though - what I meant to say to King of Hearts was that it was my own reservations, not fear of a flame war, that made me grade it the way that I did. Since my background here is more comparative literature and yours is linguistics, I suspect that may be the source of our differing opinions.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Ah. I see. My background is more in straight Linguistics (describing how the grammar of a language works, it's phonology [system of sounds], etc.).

I see how a literature major would view things differently (and one that actually has a degree at that ^^Wink.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
staab99 wrote:

I did, and I'm using it too.
staab99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
staab99 wrote:

I did, and I'm using it too.

Same Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5