• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Streams Kite: Liberator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
Does it suck that much that MB just gave it away? Laughing
Kenotic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
congrats, guys (and sorry to the International viewers) - things like this are always encouraging.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Does it suck that much that MB just gave it away? Laughing
Really? They gave it away? Where'd you read that?

-t
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
A good head start.

But...you could've picked a better series though... The stronger the show, the stronger the Nos boost.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
samuelp wrote:
But worldwide will never actually be that, because Japan will always be excluded. Get me a show with true worldwide, no access restrictions, and then I'll be impressed Smile

Hmmm lemme look... nope, "impress samuelp" isn't on my to-do list.

-t

Despite the snark, I was making a serious point.
Even if Japanese companies grant "worldwide" streaming, they still have this engrained mindset that "japan" is separate from the "world", and structure any and all agreements in that manner. I'm well aware of the reasons for this, but the fact remains that I think that way of doing business has to change in order for this model to really work. You can't have this separation forever.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
I'd never think of watching this thing otherwise, but I just might have to now. Congrats on kicking off this initiative. Smile
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
I noticed it looks like the videos have expiration dates. Is this to assume that ANN isn't looking to archive this stuff and/or can't get a license that allows shows to be slightly more permanent fixtures of the site?

What range of content is in Kite Liberator? If compared to movies would it be PG, R , etc?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The stream is free to view and ad-supported. A higher quality version is available to the website's subscribers. ANN's license to stream Kite: Liberator was acquired from North American anime distributor Media Blasters, and therefore ANN is only able to make the video available to North American viewers.

What is this nonsence I see before me? I thought ANN was made of a better cut than to do this sort of outright nonsence.

Does the World wide in World Wide Web meen anything to any one anymore?

Clearly not.

Last edited by ConanSan on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
Ah, too bad I'm not living in North America - while Kite: Liberator is not exactly a great movie, it sure is fun and I really like how it looks.
I hope it pays off for ANN.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
What is this fail boat right here? I thought ANN had more sense than this. Oh well.

I think it might be called business. I know it sucks, and it's one of the trademark shortcomings of current digital distribution. That said, it can't be helped. We get a choice. This or nothing, and I am betting ANN isn't going to be turning down the chance to expand in such a large and potentially profitable way. A previous post seems to make it out to be the fact no one will pay for advertising in most other markets.

The easiest thing I can possibly think of would be asking other locations to just pay a simple subscription fee. I know all the kiddies are in to free right now but here is how I see things. Most people (in America anyway) pay anywhere from $50 to $120 a month for TV service, and they still don't use that service in any meaningfully large way. A reasonably cheap fee per month might be the ticket to worldwide distribution. Otherwise, it's finding advertising partners who are willing to advertise worldwide and/or get local partners everywhere. This might be impossible.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
I find that even being suggested that I pay because I am not american to be downright offensive.

Untill such a time that I can watch all streaming services without complication, I view this service with distatin and I view this website with comtempt.

Last edited by ConanSan on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Seriously, Conan-san, do you really have nothing better to do? We know you get pissed off because few streams are available legally outside of American, but must you troll every single thread where this is discussed? I've explained and explained why this happens and yet you choose to either ignore me or not care. It's getting old.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Seriously, Conan-san, do you really have nothing better to do? We know you get pissed off because few streams are available legally outside of American, but must you troll every single thread where this is discussed? I've explained and explained why this happens and yet you choose to either ignore me or not care. It's getting old.
I'm truly sorry I want to legally watch these shows and thus negate a good 3/4 of the complaints levied at myself and fellow anime connoisseurs and for whatever, draconian, reason of red tape of the most ludicrous kind coupled with the fact that I live in the United Kingdom (Scotland if you want to be specific) means that I am effectively bared from doing so and seeing as there is no other option available to me besides import DVDs (which is a gamble which could lead to buying £30 of broken by customs disks, and, if you pardon my want of free items, negates the whole point of having a video right there to try the show in the first place) then I am forced to go the illegal route which entails things too crude for this message.

I am aware of the issues do prevent, what is in my mind, the perfect ideal of a website that legally plays shows for all, regardless of where they come from. However, I am of the belief that limiting the otherwise world wide web site in it's video service to Americans is both offensive to non Americans and portrays a lack of care for the, surely, thousands of non American users who use this site on a regular basis.

What will be next? Barring people from reading Anime News Nina because whatever luid advertisement asking me if I watch anime in the bath or whilst pinning down Mikuru Asahina to do god knows what is not getting enough money from non Americans? Blocking me from reading Right Turn Only because, oh, it's American releases and thus it's openly assumed that I don't care?
It's videos now, but if it's not fixed now and changed to a far more positive situation for all, where else?

The joke is, of course, it's Kite Liberators we're talking about here but maybe I would have liked it and bought it, but of course, because I'm non American, I'm sure that both you and Media Blasters don't have a care.

In short, this sort of region coding nonsense is something I'd expect of a lesser website like crunchyroll. However, if you wish to present yourselves on that level, then be my guest.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
I'm truly sorry I want to legally watch these shows and thus negate a good 3/4 of the complaints levied at myself and fellow anime connoisseurs and for whatever, draconian, reason of red tape of the most ludicrous kind coupled with the fact that I live in the United Kingdom (Scotland if you want to be specific) means that I am effectively bared from doing so and seeing as there is no other option available to me besides import DVDs (which is a gamble which could lead to buying £30 of broken by customs disks, and, if you pardon my want of free items, negates the whole point of having a video right there to try the show in the first place) then I am forced to go the illegal route which entails things too crude for this message.

I am aware of the issues do prevent, what is in my mind, the perfect ideal of a website that legally plays shows for all, regardless of where they come from. However, I am of the belief that limiting the otherwise world wide web site in it's video service to Americans is both offensive to non Americans and portrays a lack of care for the, surely, thousands of non American users who use this site on a regular basis.

What will be next? Barring people from reading Anime News Nina because whatever luid advertisement asking me if I watch anime in the bath or whilst pinning down Mikuru Asahina to do god knows what is not getting enough money from non Americans? Blocking me from reading Right Turn Only because, oh, it's American releases and thus it's openly assumed that I don't care?
It's videos now, but if it's not fixed now and changed to a far more positive situation for all, where else?

The joke is, of course, it's Kite Liberators we're talking about here but maybe I would have liked it and bought it, but of course, because I'm non American, I'm sure that both you and Media Blasters don't have a care.

In short, this sort of region coding nonsense is something I'd expect of a lesser website like crunchyroll. However, if you wish to present yourselves on that level, then be my guest.

Um, dude, get off your martyrdom horse... it said right in the article that the reason it's only open to N.American viewers is because the version they are streaming is the Media Blasters licensed version. If you wanna complain about the restrictions on it, go complain to MB about why they didn't license this in the U.K. ANN has no say in the matter. MB could sue them if they didn't restrict it, and the Japanese licensor could sue both ANN and MB if they didn't restrict it to the contractually licensed areas. This has nothing to do with ANN's decision and everything to do with matters out of their control. If you're gonna complain that much, learn how to use proxies so the site thinks you're in the U.S. For pete's sake...
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
and seeing as there is no other option available to me besides import DVDs (which is a gamble which could lead to buying £30 of broken by customs disks, and, if you pardon my want of free items, negates the whole point of having a video right there to try the show in the first place) then I am forced to go the illegal route which entails things too crude for this message.

I imported a lot of anime DVDs via rightstuf (not to advertise it or anything) and I had to pay 9 pounds (11 euros) of customs. The package was sent via FedEx, and they take part of the customs - so quit complaining and go import.

PS: We both know you don't have a problem using bittorrent, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8