• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Streams Kite: Liberator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A higher quality version is available to the website's subscribers.

Most of the website's subscribers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
What? Pay up because I'm not american? You can go flip off right now.

I'm not paying some non-merican tax for thier comitting the first sin of internet video.

Untill the day I can watch all videos from the internet, THIS IS FAIL BOAT.

Be open to options, or sulk like an infant and get nothing at all. Those are the choices, even to an American sometimes. Japan has a lot of cool stuff, and not all of it ever comes here at all. Internet video isn't some magic end all. Someone has to make money or the product isn't worth making. Not all markets are viable, and not everyone has a right to distribute worldwide.

Fail boat = infantile. It's a shortcoming, a problem, something they need to work on. You've pretty much made your case. Do I hope that everyone can have free, subbed and dubbed world-wide anime? Sure, but that just isn't how it works. As streaming becomes more common (in the legal realm) and business models shift, I fully expect you will at some point get what you want. Til then, just try to make due.

Feel free to keep in mind, it wasn't too long ago that America didn't get a lot of anime either... and when we did it was monstrously overpriced. Things change.

Feel free to take a minute and think about it from the ANN side of things in this case too. They just offered an exciting new feature to the site. When undergoing whatever untold amounts of work and funds went into it, I am sure some more constructive criticism would be appreciated. "FAIL BOAT LAWLx0r!!!11!1!!! GO FLIP OFF!" really isn't useful to anyone. Anime fans really seem to have a problem criticizing without whining...

If it means anything to you at all, I think I recall reading that much of the Crunchyroll content starting jan 8 (the day they officially go legit and remove the pirate material) will be for worldwide viewership.
Ambrogino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
Conan-San's pointless ranting aside, I'm sure everyone can see that "you can get round it" isn't really the point. I could get round it, but my actions would be no more legal than downloading a torrent, which is considerably simpler to do for the average layperson. I recognise why ANN are beholden to their liscensors, but it's intensely frustrating to see yet again an international distribution system being restricted.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:

If it means anything to you at all, I think I recall reading that much of the Crunchyroll content starting jan 8 (the day they officially go legit and remove the pirate material) will be for worldwide viewership.
We'll see come Jan 8 but I'm not holding any expectations.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
I'm not american, so I'll just download it.

The above statement is made, most likelt, by any and all non-americans who want to watch this show.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
In short, this sort of region coding nonsense is something I'd expect of a lesser website like crunchyroll. However, if you wish to present yourselves on that level, then be my guest.

Sorry. Sad

It's completely out of our control. Media Blasters only has North American rights, that's all they're allowed to give us.

As I said before, we wish to present anime to the world, but right now, with this title, that would get us sued. Our belief is that reaching a percentage of our readers with this is better than none at at all.

But we will strive to reach more and more with future licenses. Not because we want to impress samuelp :-p but because I have a horrible habit of wanting to make everyone happy.

-t
Gage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
gave it away?

How do you figure?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Despite the snark, I was making a serious point.
Even if Japanese companies grant "worldwide" streaming, they still have this engrained mindset that "japan" is separate from the "world", and structure any and all agreements in that manner. I'm well aware of the reasons for this, but the fact remains that I think that way of doing business has to change in order for this model to really work. You can't have this separation forever.

Honestly, I don't expect to ever get world(including Japan) on a regular basis. Aside from mindset, there are some very good, and reasonable reasons for companies to want to separate their domestic market and foreign markets.

It's not just Japan that does this. When a foreign company gets rights to stream US titles, they usually get rights that exclude North America. And their are a lot of American companies that stream their titles to domestic markets only. Still, the number of US companies that stream to the world is obviously much more significant than with anime.

But comparing mainstream, English language US entertainment to Japanese anime is pointless. Anime is a niche product, you don't have the main business unit of powerful multi-nationals backing it, the viewership is very small compared to mainstream content (one of the biggest niches in the world, but even the most popular anime doesn't hold a candle to a primetime US show...sadly), and the original language isn't the world's most spoken second language...

In order to adequately stream video to the world, and depend on advertising revenue, you need to make advertising deals around the world. This just isn't feasible if you have 50 viewers in country X. You need 50,000 viewers in country x.

If you don't have 50,000 viewers, you use a remnant network, which might not be paying you enough to even cover the cost of bandwidth.

These are the challenges that face the company doing the stream.So the licensor looks at all this, and rightly decides to only give the licensee a license in the countries where it can make a profit. The licensor then waits for other companies to pick up the license in other pieces of the world.

The reasons why this happens, how it happens, etc... are all clear. But it needs to change. With the Internet, companies need to think globally, and address the world at the same time. But they need to do so while making a profit off of it, not losing money. Lost revenue from piracy is one thing, actual un-recouped expenditures from operations is another thing entirely.

So seeing that anime properties are available internationally from day one, and profitable internationally, whether via one distribution channel, or via a patchwork of many, is the obvious goal that everyone in this industry needs to work towards. Unfortunately there will be obstacles that some companies just can't overcome right away.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
gave it away?
Gage wrote:
How do you figure?

Gatsu assumes that MB isn't making money off this deal.

Since the contract is a private matter between ANN and MB, I won't bother correcting or confirming his assumption, or publicizing any details that don't affect the public.

But I will say that assumptions should never be stated, but instead queried.

-t
siken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
I don't mean to question free things but, why is MB allowing us to watch it free? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ambrogino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
siken wrote:
I don't mean to question free things but, why is MB allowing us to watch it free? Rolling Eyes

The same reason you can watch (some) television channels for free. ANN pays MB, then sells advertisment time to be shown with the program to recoup the costs. Alternatly MB gives the program for free on the basis of arranging the advertisments themselves, but more likely the former (less administrative costs on their end).
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
siken wrote:

I think I'll mirror Gatsu's sentiment and say "cause no one in their right mind would pay for it."

At least Sawa had a reason to be killing people, Mokona (MY NAME IS BETTER) just does it so she can buy moar ice cream apparently.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Conan's rant may be a tad over the top, but he has a good point. 'World Wide Web' so often actually means 'USA Wide Web'. It's very disappointing for other internet users.

That said, might it be possible for subscribers to get access to this feature regardless of their physical location? We are after all paying customers.

ETA: Probably related to this new feature, all videos on ANN now show an ad image (overlaid over the Flash player) at the start. Please turn that off for subscribers.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Conan's rant may be a tad over the top, but he has a good point. 'World Wide Web' so often actually means 'USA Wide Web'. It's very disappointing for other internet users.

Your point is you're disappointed that you can't watch a licensed stream, there is no legitimate point as to the USA somehow blocking content for the fun of it. What's stopping a media/entertainment company in Scotland or the Netherlands from licensing and streaming anime if there is a fanbase to maintain it? Could someone then angrily bemoan 'The World Wide Web must really mean The Netherlands Web!!!'? The only reason that seems silly and the USA phrasing doesn't is because it's generally in vogue to blame the US for all slights real and imagined. In this case the licensing agreement by ANN is subject to standard international business regulations/restrictions that apply to media big and small. It's one thing to be generally disappointed that media licensing/distribution may have a business/contractual structure that's behind the times, but it's a bit silly to expect a small anime website to be able to start dictating policy to the media/entertaiment industry.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
Contrary to popular belief I'm not blaming ANN or expecting them to change the way things work. I was just expressing my disappointment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8