• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unauthorized Manga Translation Site Pulls Shonen Jump, Viz Titles

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I like how ANN links to Mangastream after saying its an unauthorized site.

Anyway, doing this makes 0% sense for Viz. They jump like 50 chapters in the manga with SJ Alpha, and now get rid of the main place that would allow people to catch up with the chapters they skipped.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
=Which begs the questions why can't some fans wait couples days for the manga to be released before it hit the Japanese bookstores? So everyone can enjoy, instead of complain to the authors and editors how a manga should be written.

No one can wait on the internet these days... Thanks to leaks by getting info and products by illegal means, people have learned that stuff comes early, so why bother waiting when it's here right NOW?

It's like the new Pokemon Keldeo's release the other day: the game was already hacked and played with, so no one really cares about the 'big reveal' since it was leaked a year ago :/

Maybe now announcements should be made early then waiting? E3 is another case for leaks before official reveals... Although in Keldeo's case, he was supposed to be a surprise for the new Pokemon movie...

Last edited by Sheleigha on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bastille

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Viz taking down MangaStream like this affects everyone globally despite their service is only available in North America. For people who want to pay but cannot, they are being victimized entirely without the option that Viz so openly promotes.

I do agree the early release is a bit of a concern. I recall an instance when people were congratulating Kubo on a milestone Bleach chapter that wasn't available legally yet. However, this is not an issue of three days. This is an issue of two weeks.

In addition, some of the series taken down are not available from what Viz is offering. Should we ignore this as well?
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
bradc wrote:
=Which begs the questions why can't some fans wait couples days for the manga to be released before it hit the Japanese bookstores? So everyone can enjoy, instead of complain to the authors and editors how a manga should be written.

No one can wait on the internet these days... Thanks to leaks by getting info and products by illegal means, people have learned that stuff comes early, so why bother waiting when it's here right NOW?

Because that the problem the Japanese Publishers have problem with in the first place. That's why they keep shutting down the sites that are releasing the unjust copies of the manga. It's all a little use of common sense.

Last edited by bradc on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
Why would someone bother scanlating something that's going to come out legally in a mere 2 weeks anyways?

I'm all for scanlating, but it really should only be done with titles that have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out in English. Or titles that the English publisher dropped.

Same question would apply: Would one go to a store and buy something (book, milk, stale bread) that's two weeks old?

I understand where you're coming from and agree that VIZ should step it up, but I come from the generation where you had to wait years for something to maybe get picked up Stateside, so two weeks really doesn't seem like much.
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
MS has too big of an ego compare to the others. Which begs the questions why can't some fans wait couples days for the manga to be released before it hit the Japanese bookstores? So everyone can enjoy, instead of complain to the authors and editors how a manga should be written.

Like a said before, that's a "Big some" of fans that can't wait, and don't care. I mean they got quite the operation on how they manage to get spoilers for readers.

It's literally insane, if only they can put that same effort in getting a job than to please some manga addicts to the big 3. These idiots risk their social status to steals ones' stories than filling out job applications. Some of these idiots that cheat have been caught, but another idiot always arise to the challenge. It's like a competition to these retards, on who gets to upload the spoiler first.
Bastille

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
bradc wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
Why would someone bother scanlating something that's going to come out legally in a mere 2 weeks anyways?

I'm all for scanlating, but it really should only be done with titles that have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out in English. Or titles that the English publisher dropped.

Same question would apply: Would one go to a store and buy something (book, milk, stale bread) that's two weeks old?

I understand where you're coming from and agree that VIZ should step it up, but I come from the generation where you had to wait years for something to maybe get picked up Stateside, so two weeks really doesn't seem like much.

Times change and publishers have to adapt to it. That is one of the reasons why piracy is so prevalent. Once legitimate services offer convenience on a comparably level with that others offer for free, more people will be willing to pay for it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:
It's literally insane, if only they can put that same effort in getting a job than to please some manga addicts to the big 3. These idiots risk their social status to steals ones' stories than filling out job applications. Some of these idiots that cheat have been caught, but another idiot always arise to the challenge. It's like a competition to these retards, on who gets to upload the spoiler first.

Or maybe they already have jobs and do this in their free time since its their hobby? I can understand hating on them for breaking the law, but saying that someone should "go find a job instead of having a hobby" seems kind of rude.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:
It's like a competition to these retards, on who gets to upload the spoiler first.

I'm still trying to figure out around what timeframe fansubs stopped being "for fans, by fans" for unlicensed goods, to "I'M going to be the one to upload this scan/sub first! FIRST!! FIIIIIIIRSTTTTTT!! ...yeah, we are the best :p" mentality.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Dear Viz: You edit manga. Sure the people who only read Naruto and Bleach might not care, but everyone else does. Why should we help you?
Sincerely, the manga community.
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:
bradc wrote:
MS has too big of an ego compare to the others. Which begs the questions why can't some fans wait couples days for the manga to be released before it hit the Japanese bookstores? So everyone can enjoy, instead of complain to the authors and editors how a manga should be written.

Like a said before, that's a "Big some" of fans that can't wait, and don't care. I mean they got quite the operation on how they manage to get spoilers for readers.

Guess we can agree that there is no way to compete with pirates LOL
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Hiyugi wrote:

Or maybe they already have jobs and do this in their free time since its their hobby? I can understand hating on them for breaking the law, but saying that someone should "go find a job instead of having a hobby" seems kind of rude.

Hey, don't twist my words around like that Evil or Very Mad

If they have a job and love anime/manga as a hobby, that's awesome.

But the way you responded you make "uploading" copyright materials a form of a hobby!?!? Are you insane? (No offense)
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:

Yeah, but it doesn't mean I have to like it Confused

These scanalation idiots are bound to make this situation more complicated. Forming dumb*** groups for no damn reason to combat corporations that also give the same damn chapters they love reading. Some of them may know english, but it doesn't make them smart either just so they can make their online name popular.

It's ridiculous.
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:
bradc wrote:

Yeah, but it doesn't mean I have to like it Confused

These scanalation idiots are bound to make this situation more complicated. Forming dumb*** groups for no damn reason to combat corporations that also give the same damn chapters they love reading. Some of them may know english, but it doesn't make them smart either just so they can make their online name popular.

It's ridiculous.

Do you have a better suggestion how these people can buy it? There is no way around it for them. Viz isn't opening up their doors open and provide a much better service for the rest of the world around them. It's doom to fail regardless for such business model that is center around USA and Canada.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It's about time, the mangastream scan quality is awful and the translation is lackluster. I respect Viz for finally taking action against illegal sites. Now hopefully mangastream won't make an absurd amount of profit (through advertising) on their website.

2 weeks for Alpha is really good, I don't know who could be so impatient as to demand chapters before they're released in Japan. I'm content with the Viz manga books that are even months to years behind Japan (just as long as the anime doesn't go farther).

Last edited by baadaku12345 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11