• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unauthorized Manga Translation Site Pulls Shonen Jump, Viz Titles

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
st_owly wrote:
They're in the front of Viz's editions of YGO. On the character descriptions page above each character Razz

Weird. Do they do the same for One Piece and Shaman King?

I don't know. I've never read Shaman King and I read 3 volumes of One Piece before the anime came over here.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Asterisk-CGY wrote:
MS was interested in serving everyone, and people outside of America happen to fall under "everyone."

Yes, and with this, they had to decide whether serving some bootlegs into North America was more important, or giving access to the big Shonen Jump titles to people outside North America was more important. When push came to shove, they decided to chase the North American bootleg market.

Well because they also see how stupid it is to merely restrict viewership by region when the very vehicle it rides on goes anywhere. America just easily becomes the topmost consumer because we just happen to be in terms of numbers. Avoiding litigation was the least of their concerns.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Well because they also see how stupid it is to merely restrict viewership by region when the very vehicle it rides on goes anywhere. ...

The three choices they were faced with were to take the manga down for everyone, to region block North American IP address, or to redirect North American IP addresses to the legit content.

No matter what justification they might state for denying non-North American reader access to the manga on Mangastream, the reason that non-North American readers lost access to the Manga on Mangastream is that they choose option (1) over options (2) or (3).
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

Kazemon15 wrote:
Unless Viz can justify my purchase with decent translations, they won't get a dime from me.

You won't buy any Viz products just because you are upset over one series? Wow. Rolling Eyes

You won't eat at a specific restaurant because you are upset over them spitting in your food one time? Wow. Rolling Eyes
yuyuhaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't have iphone ipad or etc, other country and many people cannot buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11