• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Thanksgiving Week Graphic Novel Sales Down from 2007

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Well, THAT was utterly unexpected.
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
TBH, I'm actually surprised they're selling *that* many right now, what with the recession, and a lot of kiddies reading them in bookstore aisles and not buying them.

However, I did buy the first two Ouran High books the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, so mine are in that 244,000 somewhere. Smile

Wait....FB 22 is out? *looks at her bookcase* How can I be two volumes behind?!

Edit: waitaminute. FB 22 isn't supposed to be released until March. Is that pre-order numbers for 22, or is that supposed to be FB 21, which was released 11/11/2008?

Edit again: Yeah, that's supposed to be FB 21, not 22....off to email Tempest...

Last edited by darcerin on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised, but I think the booksellers could do more. I hardly buy manga at Borders anymore because I can get them online at a discount. Borders and B&N should have more sales... Confused
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Nielsen Bookscan only covers B&N, Borders, Waldenbooks, Books-a-Million and the like right? It doesn't even cover the internet retailers that were having graphic novel sales like Midtown Comics, TRSI, etc.

Last edited by bayoab on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
Well, the economy's down and publishers are publishing less titles (like Tokyopop scaling it's output down by half), so it only makes sense...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
I honestly find it somewhat surprising that Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Vol. 2 sold enough copies to garner a top 5 spot, especially with the anime essentially shelved by 4Kids for the time being(?). It even sold more than the hardcover version of the Watchmen. =\

I know Yu-Gi-Oh! is still a big franchise and all, but even then...
Talon87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
#1 reason I don't buy manga at a store = I pick it up from the shelf and it spreads upon like a paper fan on me because the spine has been ruined by cheapskate "patrons" of the store who have manhandled the book one too many times. Mad

I have no complaint with paying $10 per volume and getting it in the store because at least then I can know that I am getting a book in immaculate condition. I have been burned soooooo many times when I have ordered softcover books online or otherwise through the mail. Sooooooo many times they've shown up with dog-eared covers or scuffed spines and as an obsessive collector it's unacceptable but at the same time not worth the hassle of mailing the book back to Amazon / RightStuf / (whoever) and getting a new copy. Especially when the vendor disagrees about the book being in poor condition.

But when even Borders and Barnes & Noble, stores who I trust to have unscuffed merchandise which I can inspect for myself and take home, are trying to pawn ruined manga volumes off on me? Volumes that have been read so many times that you can actually see yellowing on the middle of the pages from human fingertip oils and sweat? Mad That's when they lose my business and I'm forced to return to the internet vendors, gritting my teeth while I do it.

I love it when Borders has sealed manga, but I can't tell you the number of times I'll go in on a Monday and see four sealed Volume 13's and one open one and then go back on Friday and see four open Volume 13's (and one missing one, presumably being read somewhere in the store or else taken home by a paying customer).
Xagor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I honestly find it somewhat surprising that Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Vol. 2 sold enough copies to garner a top 5 spot, especially with the anime essentially shelved by 4Kids for the time being(?). It even sold more than the hardcover version of the Watchmen. =\

I know Yu-Gi-Oh! is still a big franchise and all, but even then...

It basically sold off the back of the free card. People would buy 3 copies of it simply to get 3 copies of the card.
erilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
I am not surprised sales are down. My local Borders selection of manga is horrible so I rather go onlline. Also that fact that I can get them cheaper online than Borders or B&N. I don't think I have ever seem a sale at B&N and you can do the membership for $25 for 10% off, but that is a complete rip-off. Borders does send out coupons for a discount, so I probably by 1 manga each week in the actual store. I prefer to shop online where I get discounts and can get what I want. The manga also come to by front door unharmed saving me gas money. When the manga start at $9 and up, I just can't justify it for a small skinny manga versus paying that for a normal paperback. I know there are costs to do the translating, publishing, etc, but that is still a lot of money for something that can be read in under an hour. I also have been reading online more often before making purchases to make sure I really want to invest into another series. My excel worksheet listing all my books by series is over 100 lines and my space is running out at home.

The economy is bad, people have less money and mangas are expensive, so the book publishers should expect less sales like all the other places out there. I am curious to see what the conventions I want to go to next year will be like with this bad economy. I will keep buying, just not like I have used to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1