• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gunbuster 2 Trailer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:01 pm Reply with quote
This OVA looks almost like a spin off of FLCL, animation and characters look nearly identical in some places.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Probably the same designer

*Sigh*

It looks really crappy, Why couldn't they do it properly and generate a real sequel? I hate the design, the Buster Machine better be damn good to make up for it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Runs too slow for me, but the voice-acting and music are dull too.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll still with-hold judgement until I see it, but I will concur that it looks more like a FLCL spin-off than a Gunbuster sequel. Gainax has promised that by theend it will tie in well with the original, so I'm not going to crucify them yet. Yamamga made very good points at Fanime on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:16 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Gainax has promised that by the end it will tie in well with the original, so I'm not going to crucify them yet. Yamaga made very good points at Fanime on this.

The way I see it, it's gonna take a miracle to tie this series in with the original. My only hope is that Top wo Nerae 2! won't suck like Great Dangaioh did compared to the original.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Iria51

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:09 am Reply with quote
I'm so used to the original character designs, I just can't get past the new look. It doesn't have that look of "reality" that the first series had in my opinion. Maybe the story will be good.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:47 am Reply with quote
I've only seen two episodes of Great Dangaio, and I kind of like it. Though I certainly wonder what it has to do with Dangaio.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote
$10 says Gunbuster 2 is the dreams of Noriko & Kazumi while in hyperspace. Rolling Eyes I gotta agree that SO FAR this looks WAY too cartoony. What I want to know is, WHY? They own the original don't they? Why bother reinventing the wheel? I guess its POSSIBLE that it's like BGC was, but *shakes head* I'm not going to say it'll definitely suck, but from what I see I feel ZERO compulsion to check it out.
(I mean, even if they've gotta make new character designs, even if they need to make new CHARACTERS, they could at least keep SOMETHING consistent, like BGC did for the armor. I agree that it COMPLETELY look like an FLCL sequel rather than a Gunbuster sequel)
beverins

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they're doing their "homage" thing again, where they take a little bit from all the top anime series and cobble them together into their own "this is what we think anime is" kind of show.

So, let's see. The main pilot looks like a lost character from Las Exile, the main heroine with pink hair is a Stellvia reject, and of course the Buster Machine is Giant Robo. It even has pupils in his eyes, and looks to have a significant amount of AI inside (why does it need a pilot, who knows)

And yes, that this is a dream of the two pilots on their way back to Earth is as good a tie-in as any. Another option is that this occurs on Earth as they are returning... however, they had Space Elevators and anti-grav stuff goin' on.. yet the Last Exile ripoff is riding a two-wheeled scooter.. *shrug*.

I would have preferred to see Earth 36,000 years from now, how our original heroines fit into a society so far beyond their own (reverted back to primitivism? There seemed to be no evidence of space colonization when they returned) and of course they find out that they didn't quite get all the "space antibodies" alien organisms...
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
There's a a lot of complaining over the character designs, but really what did you guys expect? Did you really think that Gainax would recycle character designs from over 15 years ago? No matter what Gainax does, they've always been on the leading edge of anime, so it's no surprise they would use modern designs for their new show. And when you think about it, that's really the least of issues. The Gundam universe encompasses a pretty wide variety of animation styles, and yet it's all still Gundam. Same for Gunbuster... as long as they keep some of the core theme/story elements intact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a a lot of complaining over the character designs, but really what did you guys expect? Did you really think that Gainax would recycle character designs from over 15 years ago? No matter what Gainax does, they've always been on the leading edge of anime, so it's no surprise they would use modern designs for their new show.

Who here wants to see the Wings of Honneamise sequel, should it ever get off the ground with designs like this raise your hand
Iria51

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:48 am Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
There's a a lot of complaining over the character designs, but really what did you guys expect? Did you really think that Gainax would recycle character designs from over 15 years ago? No matter what Gainax does, they've always been on the leading edge of anime, so it's no surprise they would use modern designs for their new show.

Who here wants to see the Wings of Honneamise sequel, should it ever get off the ground with designs like this raise your hand

That would be horrible in my opinion. As far as the character designs for the new Gunbuster series, they can make the character designs look more modern but they should also try to keep the realism from the first series. To me it just looks out of place. Again, I hope the story is as good or better than the first one. That at least would make up for the character design change.
Katsuragi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
holy damm u guys DO whine a lot

yes, I agree that it looks more like FLCL 2 than Top 2, but that does not mean that it should be rated as one crappy anime

ok design, Kazuya and Sadamoto is working on it, not Anno and Mikimoto... even though YS did some character designs for Top1, they said that they are going to try out new design and show out something different (+do you want them to follow drawings that is 15 years old? For them, this is industry, not easy entertainment culture like America - im not saying that there is no relationship between industry and american animations)

and come on, they named it Top2 because they are following the world settings of Top1, not because they are going to continue the story from Top1
( have u guys ever read novels, settings, and a manga of Gunbuster? there are so many things that aren't revealed in the anime 'Top wo Nerae,' and lots of fans wished them to make anime out of it, for example: 'Topless' is not just made up this year, it was one of the settings in gunbuster )

furthermore, according to the interview from the Gainax festival, this is a Kazuya's challenge against Anno, who is working on re:Cutie honey right now

however, what I want to say is 'please do not judge an anime by its part, especially PV' You guys are saying like u watched all the episodes of Top2, let's go back to Top1:Gunbuster, its PV, ep1 to ep6, every single moment had different styles and moods... this is gainax not some other studio, almost no one can guess easily with out opening its cap

btw, it's "Top wo Nerae2" not "Gunbuster 2"... "Gunbuster1" is wrong either, the official title is "Top wo Nerae" and 'Gunbuster' was a secondary title of Top1, so it has nothing to do with Top2
( they did NOT say "Gunbuster2 Top wo Nerae", it's just "Top wo Nerae 2" )
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and come on, they named it Top2 because they are following the world settings of Top1, not because they are going to continue the story from Top1
( have u guys ever read novels, settings, and a manga of Gunbuster? there are so many things that aren't revealed in the anime 'Top wo Nerae,' and lots of fans wished them to make anime out of it, for example: 'Topless' is not just made up this year, it was one of the settings in gunbuster )

If it's not on screen, it doesn't count. And part of that world setting is the LOOK of that world[/quote]
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The way I see it, it's gonna take a miracle to tie this series in with the original.

For anyone wondering about the plot this is what the encyclopaedia says:
Quote:
While Gunbuster's final mission destroyed the space monsters' star system, the intergalactic war still continues. Earth's only hope lies in the hands of "TOPLESS", an elite mecha group with children possessing supernatural powers and new Buster Machines. Among their ranks is a rookie named Nono and the ace pilot Raruku - whom Nono looks at as a "big sister." Together with their teammates Nichola and Tykho, they must aim for the top and protect all of mankind from the wrath of the space monsters.

Quote:
Looks like they're doing their "homage" thing again, where they take a little bit from all the top anime series and cobble them together into their own "this is what we think anime is" kind of show.

From watching the trailer and now reading a summary of the plot I wholeheartedly agree with what you said.

Quote:
There's a a lot of complaining over the character designs, but really what did you guys expect? Did you really think that Gainax would recycle character designs from over 15 years ago? No matter what Gainax does, they've always been on the leading edge of anime, so it's no surprise they would use modern designs for their new show. And when you think about it, that's really the least of issues.

The problems not that they have used modern designs but that the designs look horrible. The most important part of an anime is the plot but that doesn't mean that the character designs don't matter. I'm not saying its going to be bad just because it has poor character designs but poor character designs devalue an anime. Also these designs are hardly the leading edge of anime, they look like designs used in lots of other popular anime shows today.

Quote:
btw, it's "Top wo Nerae2" not "Gunbuster 2"... "Gunbuster1" is wrong either, the official title is "Top wo Nerae" and 'Gunbuster' was a secondary title of Top1, so it has nothing to do with Top2
( they did NOT say "Gunbuster2 Top wo Nerae", it's just "Top wo Nerae 2" )

When its released in the US Gunbuster will probably be incorporated into the title. Everybody knows the original as Gunbuster not Top wo Narae/Aim for the top and I'm sure the same will be true of Gunbuster 2. Its easier just to call it Gunbuster 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2