• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Dragonball: Evolution Trailer Officially Posted

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Geez, dude. I'm not expecting Empire Strikes Back from most sci-fi films, which is probably why I enjoy some of them more than I should. I try to turn my brain off with science fiction, because well, the technobabble is a bunch of fake crap someone pulled out of their ass, so I shouldn't have to overthink that stuff, either.

I mean granted, there's some standards of quality here, but Dragonball looks only marginally better than that...what was the name of that unlicensed ripoff that looked like they filmed it around the same area they do Power Rangers shows? Seriously, this movie does not look much better than that. For a flick to be released in 2009, after FX extravaganzas of more recent times like that movie with the car-changin' alien robot thingies you apparently loathe, Iron Man, hell even The Matrix films, it's shameful.
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
It was based on a cheesy '80s cartoon whose only purpose was to sell toys. I mean, if you don't look for anything beyond that, hey, whatever. I don't feel like getting into an argument about it, since that would cause a topic drift. Let's just say I didn't hate it.

You don't have license to make something bad/worse just because the original was cheesy. Razz
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Can we please drop the Transformers discussion? Because we're topic drifting here, and this thing will be locked if we don't get back on track.
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Cliff:
Quote:

I think one of the big reasons why we're getting this crappy version (besides the reasons I mentioned before) is the writer's strike.

That may have been a factor, but the studio has only had the rights for eight years now; and so it could've started shooting long before the strike.

It could have, but, it didn't. Production start in earnest in Nov. 2007, principal photography started in Dec. or Jan. and ended in March. Fox was planning to hold the "better" movie(s) it was going to release August for a later date to compensate for the hole left by the strike, but as it turned out, they didn't need to.
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
This would be an appropriate place for that were we discussing Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, but since we aren't, really, can we focus here?

I don't think it's OT to talk about TF since a lot of people seem to think that it's the standard DBE should have shot for.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am getting a bit sick of you railing against TF, to be frank. I hate to be rude or blunt, but...
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Geez, dude. I'm not expecting Empire Strikes Back from most sci-fi films, which is probably why I enjoy some of them more than I should. I try to turn my brain off with science fiction, because well, the technobabble is a bunch of fake crap someone pulled out of their ass, so I shouldn't have to overthink that stuff, either.

If you had to think hard to enjoy/understand Empire or any Star Wars movie I pity you. Very Happy I mean if you think of Star Wars as being high concept Sci-Fi that's full of "technobabble" then you might be a fan of the wrong genre.

:Sarcasm off:

It always gets me when people talk about "Technobabble". It's not all B.S., but, it's not all real or accurate either. It depends on the writer and the tone of the material. Technical explanations are just there to make the magic lights that blow things up more plausible. It's exposition, that's all. You might poo poo it, but, you need it to tell a story. It explains limits and helps keep the writer from running afoul of the law of unintended consequences.

Last edited by Cliffjxn on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Well, I am getting a bit sick of you railing against TF, to be frank. I hate to be rude or blunt, but...

Hey someone else brought it up first and you kept it going. But, I'm sorry if you're hurt by what I've said. I wasn't aiming to be mean I'm just a little tired of people over the age of 12 telling me what a great movie it is. I know you didn't say that, but, still. . . Maybe I'm taking it out on you? Again, sorry. . . Anime smile + sweatdrop

It really is a bad movie though. Cool

On Topic:
I, for one, hate movies that people don't put any thought into or that expect you to swallow horse pills. The DBE trailer makes the movie look like just another creative cop-out to me. A quick cash grab, Bullet Proof Monk/Karate Kid ripoff instead of a fun action, science-fantasy movie. Once again we seem to be dealing with a movie that's a patch work of cool stuff from other movies, a few key elements from the show/book with a bit of original crap thrown in to make it "interesting". It's irritating.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Cliffjxn wrote:

I don't think it's OT to talk about TF since a lot of people seem to think that it's the standard DBE should have shot for.

Actually, it is...and a mod has had to come in through other threads to come back to stop the discussion. This would probably be the 3rd or 4th thread I've seen going to this point. It's gone far past the DB movie and now into toys and such?? Seriously?

And "bad" movie or "good" movie is based on opinion. No need to argue that out, I've already seen 2 BS posts of this. So please stop. x.x
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Cliffjxn wrote:

Actually, it is...and a mod has had to come in through other threads to come back to stop the discussion. This would probably be the 3rd or 4th thread I've seen going to this point. It's gone far past the DB movie and now into toys and such?? Seriously?

And "bad" movie or "good" movie is based on opinion. No need to argue that out, I've already seen 2 BS posts of this. So please stop. x.x

Rolling Eyes

I apologized.

I stopped hours ago.

This thread been up for several days and has pretty much run it's course. It was mostly just, "DBE is gonna suck", anyway.

I mentioned in one of my posts that I was judging films in a mostly subjective way. Although, you can judge a film objectively. After all there are such things as bad writing, bad editing, bad cinematography, etc. I can quite fairly say that a movie is bad or at least heavily flawed, if it has any or all of the things I just mentioned. I have just as much right to hate something as you do to love it. Taste may be subjective, but, that doesn't excuse a story that doesn't make sense. Side note: DBE might turn out to be a good movie, but, it won't be a good Dragon Ball movie, subjectively. Wink

Like I said before, it's fine to like or even love a bad movie. It's like an ugly pet; everyone else may be repulsed, but, you wouldn't change it for the world.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
We haven't even watched it yet. No-one has, probably not even James Wong (the director). Yes, the trailer doesn't look too good. Yes, the casting raised quite a few eyebrows. Yes, the budget doesn't promise too much. Yes, Piccolo looks funny at best and ridiculous at worst. We know all that.

Until the critics and wider public get their teeth into this, we don't know for sure whether or not it will be a bad movie. I mean, we can say that the probability is going to be strongly in favour of it being downright embarrassingly awful, but until then we can't say with 100% certainty.

I hope this thread dies. Not because I believe we should not talk about Dragonball Evolution anymore - I don't - but so that we can all have a break. It's Christmas, so why are we fighting? We have four months to that once the festivities are over. We should save our collective breath until the new year, or when a new scrap of information becomes available, whatever comes first.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
12 pages is drawing it out a bit. Can we take a break, not to mention getting a lock?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Until the critics and wider public get their teeth into this, we don't know for sure whether or not it will be a bad movie. I mean, we can say that the probability is going to be strongly in favour of it being downright embarrassingly awful, but until then we can't say with 100% certainty.

So lemme get this straight:

DB fans want Lambchops. FOX offers up Beef masquerading as Lambchops. So the DB fans are expected to take it in the @$$ and not complain??
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
So lemme get this straight:

DB fans want Lambchops. FOX offers up Beef masquerading as Lambchops. So the DB fans are expected to take it in the @$$ and not complain??

Sigh.

I was trying to say that we should stop this thread because it has descended so far into lunacy. We might as well just make a new thread, and start anew.

I was trying to say that being angry over the holiday period is bad Karma.

I was trying to say that we should temporarily stop, if only to stop us getting RSI and/or high blood pressure.

I was trying to say that we have four months to complain, and that complaining for that entire period is a waste of time. I could be outside enjoying summer, but oh no, I am on the computer arguing over a stupid movie. That's a poor use of my one and only life, don't you think?

I tried to say all those things, but obviously I failed. I guess I cannot use flowery writing while still keeping the language nice and simple.
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I was trying to say that we have four months to complain, and that complaining for that entire period is a waste of time. I could be outside enjoying summer, but oh no, I am on the computer arguing over a stupid movie. That's a poor use of my one and only life, don't you think?

I can see what you are saying. But the problem is that some people love to complain. Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14