• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Dragonball: Evolution Trailer Officially Posted

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
BTW, can someone please let the writer at AOD know that Stephen Chow had nothing to do with the script? I don't want his reputation to be further ruined by misinformation. Thanks. Mad Speaking of Chow, when is ANN going to update his Encyclopedia profile?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
More pics via AICN Anime.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
BTW, can someone please let the writer at AOD know that Stephen Chow had nothing to do with the script? I don't want his reputation to be further ruined by misinformation. Thanks. Mad

He's credited as a producer. Whether or not he's actually involved but still associated with this mess is his problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
braves: He may be associated with it, but at least I don't want people to think he was responsible for the worst decisions regarding it, especially since even ANN noted that FOX picked a cast contrary to his own wishes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, it looks like the Japanese take our comments seriously. But they're the ones who end up being embarrassed because of this, so why are they worried about us? Thanks to AICN Anime for the link, btw. Went to the direct link, and was amused by the phrase "Twentieth Century F*ck Film". Thank you for being non-traditionally impolite this one time, Japan.
CrystalFalls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wow, it looks like the Japanese take our comments seriously. But they're the ones who end up being embarrassed because of this, so why are they worried about us? Thanks to AICN Anime for the link, btw.

Credit the original news article on Anime Nation:
http://www.animenation.net/blog/2008/12/22/japan-concerned-about-dragonball-evolution/

AnimeNews.biz likes to poach news from other sources and conveniently forget to credit them. AnimeNews.biz even copied and pasted an entire section off Anime Nation without credit in that article ("from fans in the US, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, France, the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, and South Africa.")

Quote:
Went to the direct link, and was amused by the phrase "Twentieth Century F*ck Film". Thank you for being non-traditionally impolite this one time, Japan.

Livedoor was quoting a Canadian poster for that line, not a Japanese poster.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
Crystal: Damn, I so wanted the Japanese to insult it. Crying or Very sad Thanks for the info, too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Dark Horizons!

Quote:
While there may be fans of the original anime keenly anticipating this, lets face it - the trailers quite frankly make this look like a stinker of almost "The Spirit" or "Battlefield Earth" proportions which makes me want to watch it simply for the camp factor. The economically beleaguered Fox is going to have a real challenge trying to make this appeal outside the fanbase.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Crystal: Damn, I so wanted the Japanese to insult it. Crying or Very sad Thanks for the info, too.

...I swear, you do make me wonder sometimes....

n_n; Is that healthy?
Batman3777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
GATSU wrote:

...I swear, you do make me wonder sometimes....

n_n; Is that healthy?

Hey, straight-jackets and padded rooms had to be invented for someone, right? Laughing Shocked Razz
•Joel•

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
This looks fairly bad. They really messed up Goku...for sure. I'll still see it, but I go in with low expectations. At least I can Blog about it in my blog...good or not haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Batman: Those should be for the writers. Rolling Eyes
Batman3777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Batman: Those should be for the writers. Rolling Eyes

No, the producers, not writers. I have no information as to the dialogue. and the story thus far is decent enough to satisfy me (i think they've simplified the story somewhat, and I am okay with that, for now.
The casting and costuming, however, disappoint me greatly. Piccolo should look nothing like a reman. Rolling Eyes
BigBoyGame

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Have any of you saying this movie justifies Dragonball even watched the anime? Are you out of your minds? This movie is a perfect example of hollywoods bullshit efforts to recreate anything to do with imaginary worlds and martial arts. Piccolo looks like a wanna-be badass instead of the ruthless warrior he is. Goku looks like a frigging boy scout afraid to leave mommy's side on the first day of school, with no edge or drive to be the best fighter present. and Master Roshi.... He's supposed to be an elderly legend when he teaches goku, not a middle aged clown. And I like Chow, but someone dropped the ball. I pray to God this movie flops so that these directors don't get away with such a horrible adaptation. I might ask a friend to download it for me because i won't even waste my bandwidth. Bad character selection, bad trailer, bad idea.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
BigBoyGame wrote:
Have any of you saying this movie justifies Dragonball even watched the anime? Are you out of your minds?

First of all, why do you even bother to care?

Second of all, Everyone in here is perfectly sane, whether they support the movie or not.

If you don't bother to download it, that makes me even happier. =D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14