• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Dragonball: Evolution Trailer Officially Posted

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuyukly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Kuyukly wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
goku needs to be asian, sry

and right now, he looks like a tool

He's a friggin alien. Why does he have to be Asian? Or is this the usual "it wasn't made in Japan so it won't be good" deal?

I personally think it'll be pretty good (or at least entertaining), and forget all the losers acting like they simply "know" exactly how things are "going" to turn out.

Umm the trailer looks like crap, the movie will likely suck. Just deal with other people's opinions instead of calling them liars.

I didn't call anyone a liar. I said they're passing judgment on a movie they haven't seen, and that's downright silly.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Kuyukly wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Kuyukly wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

He's a friggin alien. Why does he have to be Asian? Or is this the usual "it wasn't made in Japan so it won't be good" deal?

I personally think it'll be pretty good (or at least entertaining), and forget all the losers acting like they simply "know" exactly how things are "going" to turn out.

Umm the trailer looks like crap, the movie will likely suck. Just deal with other people's opinions instead of calling them liars.

I didn't call anyone a liar. I said they're passing judgment on a movie they haven't seen, and that's downright silly.

Well welcome to reality, Junior. Not everyone can see every movie ever made so obivously "passing judgement" is part of the process of filtering out the garbage. A trailler that resembles absolutley nothing of the source material and looks like just another cheesey, hollywood hack job is good enough evidence for anyone to make that call. Just becuase you think stuff that looks like utter trash could be "entertaining" doesn't give you a right to tell others how to think.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, the movie looks fine to me. Not sure about the story but if this is supposed to be stand-alone then it should be fine.

I think the movie will do really well, considering I know alot of people who used to watch DBZ and are not anime fans who will prolly find it worth there time. And I am sure alot of us will go watch it, although whether we enjoy it or not is another story.

I do agree with Goku's character though, he should be more like the anime.

And I also agree this cant be worse than Dead or Alive.
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Kuyukly wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

He never said anything about him being a liar J-Syxx. Nice work with that Wink

Goku isn't asian, he's a Saiyan, there's no reason to believe that he should be asian other than the fact that DB was made in Japan. Which isn't really a reason at all.

As for the trailer. Well, I don't know. I agree with everyone about making Goku not very Goku like at all. They probably did it to add that level of internal conflict to it, but it's unnecessary for fans of the series. I'm pretty sure Bulma used guns in DB at some point (when guns were still useful Laughing ), so that isn't so much a concern. I'll still be seeing it since I'm a DB/Z fan, but I hope it turns out better than I think it will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kuyukly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Kuyukly wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Kuyukly wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Well welcome to reality, Junior. Not everyone can see every movie ever made so obivously "passing judgement" is part of the process of filtering out the garbage. A trailler that resembles absolutley nothing of the source material and looks like just another cheesey, hollywood hack job is good enough evidence for anyone to make that call. Just becuase you think stuff that looks like utter trash could be "entertaining" doesn't give you a right to tell others how to think.

"Not being interested" is completely different from judging a movie as crap. I'm sorry you're offended that my opinion differs from yours but the fact is it's stupid to judge anything before you try it yourself.

I'm reminded now of why I never post here. Jeez. I'm out.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
As a faithful adaptation of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball, this trailer looks like the movie is going to fail.

As a stand alone movie it really doesn't look all that bad. It seems like the "Dragon Ball" name is just plastered onto it.
Talon87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I never watched DB or DBZ growing up and have zero emotional investment in the franchise, but I gotta say ...

this trailer really didn't look all that bad! Shocked I feel really dirty for saying that, but the movie looked like it will be really fun and entertaining for outsiders and is only going to be a cringe-fest for the true fans. Sucks that it has to be that way, of course, but like everyone else is saying, that at least is better than being a cringe-fest for everybody who goes to see it like the Super Mario and Street Fighter movies of olde were.

The only bad parts I could see in this were:
- Piccolo's make-up makes him look like a Reman from Star Trek X. Bad memories.
- it's obvious to me that this Roshi character isn't supposed to be quite as big a deal as some of the others but Chow Yun Fat was definitely dominating the camera in every scene in the trailer. Makes Justin's job that much harder, I fear.
- Yeah, this Justin kid didn't seem like Goku material from what I've heard of the guy. But then again, at least this movie has the benefit of modern-day Hollywood fight scene SFX, unlike Street Fighter whose Ryu and Ken boiled down to wanna-be prettyboys.
- the name bit where it's like "GOKU ... ROSHI ... BULMA ... PICCOLO" ... yeah, that felt a little campy.

And that's pretty much it. Everything else seemed cool. The first 20 seconds when they explained the legend of the Dragon Balls was [expletive] awesome. The scenes showing widespread destruction were pretty cool. The fight on top of the clothesline was neat. The part where they showed the shape-shifting girl was neat. I dunno, I'd pay to go see this now. Looks a lot better than a lot of what Hollywood's been putting out these days. I know that doesn't mean that the movie is awesome -- it just means that Hollywood makes a lot of cheese these days. But hey, I'll take what I can get, and DB Evolution isn't looking all that bad. Sadly. Mad
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm no skeptic of the movie like everyone else in here seems to be, but it was kind of fun going through the trailer, hearing all their versions of the origin stories and going "uhhh, no it wasn't, no they didn't, no you don't. None of that ever happened, it's all a lie! Disregard everything they just told you!" Laughing

But to tell you the truth those last couple of sentences I just said there kind of reflects how I think I feel about this movie. Hardly true to the source material AT ALL, but as huge a DB fan as I am (and seriously, I'm about as big of one as anyone on here) and as disappointing as it is that practically none of it is going to stay faithful to the original, I think I'm going to be willing to overlook all that and just say that otherwise this movie actually looks pretty awesome anyways! Cool It may be a horrible adaptation but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't going to be a good movie altogether. I even had fanboy moments when they were shooting kai blasts at each other and Goku was shouting "Ka-me-ha-me-HAAAA!" Anime hyper Plus that and the new story they made up for it, despite having nothing to do with the original source material and with the exception of the way Goku's character is being depicted, actually kind of has a nice Dragonball-ish feel to me. So you never know, I may actually still end up liking it nonetheless.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
When the trailer fails to live up to expectations, you know the movie is gonna be trouble.

The one thing I saw absent from the trailer: Comedy. Didn't DBZ have alot of injokes and funny situations, especially due to Goku's naive attitude towards life and his awkward social situations?
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or are they just using the phrase evolution as an excuse to have artistic license (aka, go on a big tangent from what dragonball really was). Yes, special effects weren't that bad actually, but I'm already getting a headache. This is going to be another DoA movie, isn't it? Sad

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
When the trailer fails to live up to expectations, you know the movie is gonna be trouble.

The one thing I saw absent from the trailer: Comedy. Didn't DBZ have alot of injokes and funny situations, especially due to Goku's naive attitude towards life and his awkward social situations?

Socially awkward wouldn't be more like it, more of socially unaware I think. But yes, there were a ton of jokes (and much of the perverted kind if we're talking about the origins of DB), and they were just the icing on the cake. But the vibe from the trailer is like trying to spruce up a turd. No matter how pretty you make it, it'll still be a turd

Last edited by RedHotFunk on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Ok, it's time for you and the rest of the "goku is azian lolz" crowd to shut up. I'll say it for you slowly, and maybe it'll sink in:

Goku

is

an

ALIEN!

Aliens do not have Asian bloodlines or facial features. Stop whining, quit trolling, and get over it.

EDIT: I just watched the trailer, and I have to say that this movie looks like it'll be a lot of fun. Just think of it as a kind of "Elseworlds" for our favorite Dragonball characters. I'm looking forward to some kamehamehas. Heck, I'd watch it just to hear Chris Sabat voice Shenron. Wink
Agent kWo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I always thought he was an asian alien.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Roshi didn´t even seemed pervert at all... Surprised
Sad isn't it.Roshi is supposed to be funny as well as a super pervert.I know my man,Tequila,could pull it off,but it wasn't written so.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Goku isn't Asian- in fact, as far as the Dragon Ball world is concerned, there's very little consideration to proper nations.

But it's still weird to see a paper-white teen with a name like "Goku".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Acinom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm not that hardcore of a DB fan. The series itself is enjoyable but nothing all that special.

The movie very loosely follows the show. In all honesty, there's really nothing to ruin by deviating from the original when the original was okay at best to begin with.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while the anime community has grown vastly, it's still a niche market. In order for a movie like this to sell, it practically has to deviate from the original (especially with the special effects bill that must have been rung up making this movie).

I intend to see it. Obviously it's not going to be a master piece, but it should still be fun to watch.

To keep with the trend of random comments on DoA, I have a vast amount for appreciation for Miike's total disregard for physics and human limits in the ending of DoA. It warms my heart and brings a smile to my face every time I see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14