• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saikano ending SPOILER!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowerV2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hi I just watched it last night and was very confused by the ending.

spoiler[1. What are those giant "legs" poking out of the sky at the end?

2. Was that the real Chise that Shujie did it with?

3. What happened in the end? That ball of light thing and all that? Did he go insane? It seemed that way to me when they showed one form when he was patting air and the other where he was patting chise's head.]

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
TF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:28 am Reply with quote
1. it's been a while since i saw it again so i'm afraid i can't answer it for you

2. spoiler[I like to think that they just gave chise a new body and deleted all previous memories but her memories come back afterwards.

3. You can see it as some sort of coma in wich he recreated his world with chise by his side.

But chise doesn't excist no more but i'm not sure about the guy. If he no longer excists and has become some kind of spirit, why create some sort of fantasy world, that doesn't make any sense so he must still be alive but probably in some sort of coma. ]
[/spoiler]
ShadowerV2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:43 am Reply with quote
Anyone have any other ideas? That would be great.

Thanks.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:58 am Reply with quote
Your answers should lay in the start of the first Episode.

Hell you can always do ths smart thing, and READ THE MANGA!
ShadowerV2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:01 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Your answers should lay in the start of the first Episode.

Hell you can always do ths smart thing, and READ THE MANGA!

Only first volume of manga is out. First epsiode does not explain anything. spoiler[Not even the giant crab legs from the sky]
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:19 am Reply with quote
*smacks head* I forgot most people that viset the forums aren't fulent in Japanese like myself.

The first episode dose explane the most imorthant thing of all, *Spoiler* Susji is retelling the past of his lost love. Not told in the series, but in the Manga, is that Chisa died.
ShadowerV2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:29 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
*smacks head* I forgot most people that viset the forums aren't fulent in Japanese like myself.

The first episode dose explane the most imorthant thing of all, *Spoiler* Susji is retelling the past of his lost love. Not told in the series, but in the Manga, is that Chisa died.

Ah so the beginning in the series spoiler[was pretty much the end of the world alreday and he was the only person walking around?] Dang....
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:30 am Reply with quote
More like the end of Japan.
ShadowerV2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:35 am Reply with quote
So does the manga and the anime both have the same ending?

spoiler[Does the world get destroyed in the manga as well? I heard something about Chise transforming into a spaceship or something what was that about?]
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:44 am Reply with quote
I rather not say what she becomes, but she dose live up to her name.

The bigest thing left out of the Anime is that it was that Chsie's father forcered her to become a weapon.
ShadowerV2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:24 am Reply with quote
Wow that is a big revelation. In the anime it was never mentioned why. So that means her family knew all about it then....

Well if you don't want to mention it on the boards could you pm it to me?

Thank you.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:52 am Reply with quote
To ShadowerV2:

1. spoiler[Those giant protrusions from the sky ARE part of Chise. She, as the title "ultimate weapon" implies, is basically a self-conscience Star Trek replicator (x1000000 times of course) coupled with latest sensory technology. She can produce weaponry or emit energy from seemingly nowhere - the entire Earth is her reservoir of raw matter and energy. She is capable to summon, absorb, and convert them whenever, wherever, and however she sees fit. Thus the "ultimate weapon." However, she gradually loses control over her functions, and any attack directed towards her would only result a bigger payback (it seems like she's programmed to do so). Ultimately this results the destruction of the Earth.]

2. It's like what TF said.

3. spoiler[Shuuji is the last surviving human being, taken by Chise (in the form of a spacecraft-like being) away from the dying Earth. The last scenes are telepathic dialogues between them; all images are illusions created by Chise directly through Shuuji's mind. It was highly debated whether or how long will Shuuji survive. However, even if Shuuji has to die eventually, Chise gave him one last good memory.]

And to Advent_Nebula: No. When, why, and how did Chise get trasformed were the biggest mysteries of SaiKano. The author kept them secret intentionally.

Darn it, recalling their story wets my eyes. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:01 am Reply with quote
All right, this is going to be one big spoiler text, I'm afraid. Bear with me...

spoiler[1. Yes, the end of the anime is where the story catches up to the "present". Shuji is telling the story from his viewpoint. At the beginning, and at the end, he is the last human being alive on Earth. Advent_Nebula said it was only the end of Japan, but that is not true. Chise specifically states that it's all over for the Earth.

2. The reason why it's all over is that Chise has "grown". Those huge things poking out of the clouds? They're part of her. She really is the ultimate weapon - a technology so powerful that using it cannot help but bring about the end of its makers. There's no way the Earth can survive her ultimate manifestation.

3. The entire sequence where Chise and Shuji consummate their love is a sort of virtual reality created by Chise. She admits to manipulating his perception of reality - in effect, shielding him from the truth, that he is the last human on a doomed planet.

Now, I had a long discussion via PM with dormcat (who always brings out my most analytical side), and the following is a paraphrase from one of the PMs I sent (I've lost the text of the original PM, alas). It is my answer to a number of questions raised by SaiKano's story.

Who is at war?

Well, one side of the war is obviously Japan. The other clearly includes Western powers (since they speak English in the anime and French in the manga). One could imagine a number of scenarios where Japan was allied with others in a war of two or more power blocs. However... I believe it's more straightforward than that. Japan is one side of the conflict, and the other side is the rest of the world. Read on for my reasoning...

What is the nature of Chise?

Well, we are told that Chise is an ordinary girl who has been transformed into "the ultimate weapon". Obviously, this implies some form of cyborg-like amalgamation of girl and weapon.

However, though the nature of the weaponry is obscure, it does show some characteristics that allow us to analyze it. Chief of these is that it seems to violate basic physical laws of conservation of mass and momentum. It also involves some form of ability to manifest energy in various forms. This energy might come from some form of matter conversion, but I'm tempted to regard it as integral with the violations of mass conservation.

In summary, Chise is capable of manifesting additional mass or energy. It seems likely that this mass/energy comes from "elsewhere" (perhaps a hole into another universe?), and that Chise can draw it into existence (or put it away) as she pleases.

Add to this some superficially useful abilities such as communicating with satellites, etc. These seem peripheral to the actual innovative technology, which is the matter/enegery manifestation ability.

Why is the war being fought?

Obviously, the ability to build such a weapon is a major technological breakthrough. Equally obviously, only Japan has it. It seems a short jump from this to conclude that the cause of the war is the development of the technology.

The war, in short, is a pre-emptive strike to prevent Japan from bringing its new technology into a state of readiness (imagine, had WWII not been ongoing, a similar war in the 1940s, over the incipient development of the nuclear bomb). Alas for Humanity, the effort comes too late.

Supporting this theory is the fact that Tokyo is the first to be struck and obliterated. Later, Sapporo is attacked. Why Sapporo? It seems out of the way. Yet, it makes sense if we assume that initial development of the technology was done in Tokyo, and the first strike was an attempt to cut it off at the root. The strike at Sapporo, then, represents an attempt to kill Chise - the prototype of the new weaponry - before she can become fully operational.

It becomes clear as the story progresses tht the enemy is suffering awesome losses. City after city annihilated by Chise, yet they keep fighting. I'd consider it likely that they believe themselves (quite rightly) to be fighting to save Humanity from a monster of its own creation - Chise.

Unfortunately, the continued warfare only causes Chise to grow and become ever more dangerous. Though, in fairness, it is questionable whether she would have been possible to control even if peace had been made.

At the end, the final enemy planes attack the now-gigantic Chise in a suicide run, failing miserably. At this point, there is no hope left - they're merely out for revenge for the murder of Humanity.

That's my take on the story. It really is the anti-war story to end all anti-war stories. Chise, the compassionate weapon, the bane of Humanity.]

- abunai

P.S. Ah, I see dormcat was online simultaneously, and posted before I did. "Star Trek replicator", hmm?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:10 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
P.S. Ah, I see dormcat was online simultaneously, and posted before I did. "Star Trek replicator", hmm?

Haha. I was thinking, if the replicator/transporter technology needs something like Heisenberg compensator to counteract the uncertainty principle and allocate individual quantum signature in Star Trek universe, what if the developer of Chise spoiler[has created an artificial Maxwell's demon to decrease entropy by reorganizing scattered energy and matter into an orderly state as one sees fit (specifically, to make projectile weapon or direct energy weapon)? Apparently their success was short-lived, for the degree of chaos accumulated in Chise's body instead, both mentally and physically.

For which nation attacked Japan, well, I am certain that there are only two possible types of bomber raiding Sapporo: US Rockwell B-1B Lancer or Russian Tupolev Tu-160 "Blackjack," both supersonic bombers with VG wings. So they could be either American or Russian, but they could also team up with other nations, though.]

BTW, do you want a copy of your PM, abunai? I still have them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:00 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:

Haha. I was thinking, if the replicator/transporter technology needs something like Heisenberg compensator to counteract the uncertainty principle and allocate individual quantum signature in Star Trek universe, what if the developer of Chise spoiler[has created an artificial Maxwell's demon to decrease entropy by reorganizing scattered energy and matter into an orderly state as one sees fit (specifically, to make projectile weapon or direct energy weapon)? Apparently their success was short-lived, for the degree of chaos accumulated in Chise's body instead, both mentally and physically.]

Oh, indeed. I've always thought that it was a bit excessive (if highly symbolic) for spoiler[ammo to come tumbling out of Chise's body whenever she was stressed. Rockets rolling across the floor, thump-clankety-clankety-clank!

Anyway, whatever hypothetical explanation we come up with for Chise's powers (Star Trek style replicator/mass convertor as you suggest, or alternate-universe mass/energy extractor as I suggest), the fact remains that they can be described as seemingly violating the laws of conservation of mass. And by any definition, that's a very powerful (and weapons-capable) technology.

Any nation would feel threatened by the development of such weapons tech, and (as the story unfolds) they would be right to feel threatened.]

dormcat wrote:
spoiler[For which nation attacked Japan, well, I am certain that there are only two possible types of bomber raiding Sapporo: US Rockwell B-1B Lancer or Russian Tupolev Tu-160 "Blackjack," both supersonic bombers with VG wings. So they could be either American or Russian, but they could also team up with other nations, though.]

spoiler[I stand by my opinion that the cause of the war was Japan's development of ChiseTech - and consequently, that Japan was very likely all alone on one side of the conflict. The other side being the rest of the world, eager to prevent precisely that which they ultimately brought about: the end of the world. Period. No "...as we know it", just a big fat 終, "The End". ]

dormcat wrote:
BTW, do you want a copy of your PM, abunai? I still have them.

Oh, yes please, very much - I suspect I expressed my thoughts better in them than in this scattering of posts.

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4