• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Libre Prints Repeat After Me? English-Teaching Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
*jaw... drop*

A BL manga that teaches English... what a concept. Pffft Anime hyper

I imagine the vocabulary might be quite limited then...
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
That's nothing new. Shojo manga magazines always put English lesson phrases on its pages for decades. Since BL is popular with Japanese female fans and Japanese women have higher motivation to learn English than men, it's natural for them to put English lesson manga.

Now I'm curious about how well is the translation. Japanese are known to condense down the translation of English to suit their taste.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
Not all that much English.
On pg 2 (Dec. issue)-Shiratori Language Academy.
Pg 9 Nigel. Come over here
Pg 12- Give it back Diego!!
pg 13-I know it's ranobe huh?
(different panel) You know what I like...!

And so it goes. Way more Japanese than English.
The January ish is in the other room since I just picked it up last night.
Ganryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted a manga in basic japanese about someone who isn't japanese but is there to learn the language. None of the japanese speak english, and he doesn't speak japanese. This could be accompanied by a cd with the corresponding dialogue recorded.

The main character could narrate in english, but he'd have little grasp, initially, of what is being said by the other characters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
That's nothing new. Shojo manga magazines always put English lesson phrases on its pages for decades. Since BL is popular with Japanese female fans and Japanese women have higher motivation to learn English than men, it's natural for them to put English lesson manga.

Yeah, many Japanese women and housewives take English classes........... to have a fling with their blue-eyed blonde Caucasian English teachers. They want to be multilingual experts. Laughing

reanimator wrote:

Now I'm curious about how well is the translation. Japanese are known to condense down the translation of English to suit their taste.

There was an old late-80s/early-90s story on R.A.A. usenet told by an American-transfer girl attending a Japanese high school when she had to pronounce English words the Japanese way just for her English teacher and class to understand her. Laughing

(There are probably still web archives of her high school gaijin stories. It's a fascinating read about someone who's actually in the system at the time.)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it seemed like even fewer English lines in the January edition than there was in the December. There was a page pitching the website after the story & it just about tied the amount of English in the chapter. ("Will Yunosuke be able to speak English in just three months?") It actually seems more like an excuse to put a bunch of foreigners in the story.
It's all mostly simple phrases so far. Yunosuke better get cracking or he's not going to be speaking English all that soon.
I was more distracted by the head shot of Obama in Yasumi Hazaki's 4-panel in this month's Gush.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1