• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Bend It Like Kakeru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
No argument here that the top 2 ranked shows belong where they are, and in the order that they are in.

I wonder how things would turn out if Chihaya became a privateer and Marika took up competitive Karuta playing...
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I actually quite enjoy Inu x Boku. I think there's a sweetness there that a lot of shows don't have. In particular, I really like the relationship developing between Ririchiyo, Karuta and Banri in the most recent episode.

And the show is one of the few where I listen to the OP every time (others include Chihayafuru and Shakugan no Shana's latest OP).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I watched the most recent episode of Knight in the Area is because it was the only new show on CR that Friday and I was just too lazy to find and insert a DVD into the drive. I actually skipped most of episode six, the one guy got injured and I skipped to the end (How did Spiky Hair join the team? Was he kicked off by his coach? Did he become so moved by his friend's plight that he switched by himself? - Don't care, I knew it would happen, I don't care about the character so why should I care how he joined?). It is just so damn predictable, even the guy losing a few stone and joining in didn't surprise me, it's not like it was the first incredibly unbelievable thing to happen in the show. So, even though all this soccer action was happening I could couldn't give a rats patootie. How is it that nerdy kids slapping cards on the floor is so much more energizing than athletes running and jumping and kicking and physically getting hurt?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I can see some of the things that the editor is saying, but Inu x Boku SS is more a long the lines of "a story an episode" instead of along the lines of "a story with multiple episodes that tie together at the end" I really find most series like this interesting because it always leaves open the door for new experiences.

As for the review of Brave 10; I wish that Bamboo would have given this show a couple of extra episodes before dropping it. The action doesn't really start untill 3-4 Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I have to respectfully disagree with your thoughts on Rinne.

Quote:
I still dislike Madoka and her thick-headed optimism

She's based on the Noriko archetype. One could say she's what you would if Noriko Takaya and Ryusei Date from Super Robot Taisen had a kid together. THAT kind of optimism is what Madoka has. Typical Super Robot show optimism.

Quote:
I dislike Lan for every time she “woof”s at the camera.

I actually find it hilarious and somewhat unique. Hell, somewhat her character trait too. If you go through the flashbacks that have happened so far, you can assume Lan is struggling to fit in with her new found home.

Quote:
We do see something new in the Vox mythos though—upon having a strong emotional reaction, Madoka manages to level up her machine. It's not really shown or explained, but there's a huge burst of energy and green flowers start raining down from the sky—the flowers of Rin-ne. What that really means has yet to be seen

I can see that being expanded on, considering No-Eyes seems to know a lot more than he's letting on. That and the show is airing for 26 episodes so they wouldn't explain everything right off the bat.

Not to mention I'm trying so hard not to see the subtext in Rinne and Symphogear, yet I can't stop seeing it. I think my goggles borked in the latest episode of Rinne. Seriously, Lan?
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame The Stream only covers non-sequel titles and legal titles only otherwise I'd argue Nisemonogatari, Smile Precure!, and Aquarion EVOL as a few of the better shows for this winter, though the latter two are not available legally...

Not surprised to see Inu x Boku SS dropped since it's hit or miss given its atrociously slow pacing. I love it to death still mostly for Ririchiyo and Karuta. Heck, and one didn't think anything could get slower this season than Another.

As for the other shows, agreed with Chihayafuru, Ano Natsu, Papa Kiki, and Mouretsu Pirates, though I think the latter better start picking up soon otherwise it may have trouble creating a convincing story at the end (assuming there is one). For Ano Natsu, nice to see it finally got somewhere and perhaps we'll finally see the pickup that we saw in Ano Hana and Toradora! as the show heads into its second half.

I disagree with Area no Kishi. It really jumped the shark in episode 3 and still sadly has not improved. For a show that is likely planned to be 50 episodes, it lacks the same kind of suspense that say Giant Killing had a couple years ago and the romance/drama that Cross Game could muster. It's a pure comedy show at this point and basically asking "how ridiculous can we make the protagonist be?"

Hunter x Hunter ....is Hunter x Hunter. I'm surprised with how much faster they're moving but at the same time, it's not much faster. At some point the show is going to get cut short again, which is probably what I fear the most. If I recall correctly, the show is planned for a minimum of 45 episodes.

Lagrange is this season's wild card if you ask me. With another full season already planned for next summer, I'm not too sure where this show is still heading. The back stories of episodes 6 and 7 were nice but the rest of the series so far has been trash in my opinion. The show is on one hand trying to promote "tourism" for the city it is set in and simultaneously trying to be an action mecha title. While possible, it has so far in my eyes failed to strike an optimal and reasonable balance for the two.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Hunter x Hunter ....is Hunter x Hunter. I'm surprised with how much faster they're moving but at the same time, it's not much faster. At some point the show is going to get cut short again, which is probably what I fear the most. If I recall correctly, the show is planned for a minimum of 45 episodes.

Where did you hear that from. There is no way they're only doing 45 episodes. The ratings are pretty good and this is supposed to be the "Definitive Anime"
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I don't like the music in the opening it doesn't feel right for the show. Looking forward to more of the show.

LMAO you do realize Ali Project is pretty much a staple for horror like animes. Anyway it does suit it perfectly.

As for Another I find it works fine. I watch horror of all kinds, this is something new. It would be very boring and rather redundant if they all knew how to do it all and work it perfectly. So I could care less about that. It makes it far more interesting than the shit horror plots America is pumping out.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Its too bad you dropped Inu X Boku... I found the last episode to be the best one yet. I really like Karuta, and this episode really developed her well. We even got Renai Circulation 2.0 in the ending theme!
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I am following: Chihayafuru, Bodacious Space Pirates, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Listen to Me, Girls, I'm Your Father, and Persona 4.

Chihayafuru is the first show since Seinfeld that I have actually scheduled a slot of my time for each week on the day a new episode comes out. Streaming and Tivo have made watching on the day of broadcast a thing of the past. Chihayafuru is my exception, I can not wait to see what happens to the characters each Tuesday.

The rest are all enjoyable, though at this point, I probably could stop on Persona 4. I will be buying it, and as close as it has stuck to the game, I do not think I will be surprised by anything.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Regarding your take on Another:

All your gripes were explained in series. Why do the kids stick to that plan if it only works 50% of the time? It's because after over 20 years of trying different methods, that's the only one that's worked at all. Naturally they're all scared of what's going on and so they'll do whatever it takes to try and prevent them and their loved ones from meeting an awful fate.

They've also tried renaming the class but the phenomenon still happens in whatever is the 3rd class. Even if a hotel goes from 12 to 14, that doesn't stop 14 from being the 13th floor.

Later on spoiler[they do discover another method: killing each other until the 'Another' dies again.]

Quote:
I'm still uncomfortable with how the show won't let this whole Yuta/Sora one-sided crush die. I realize they're not blood-related, but because he's her guardian now, I'd like there to be a stronger line drawn.

How much stronger of a line would you like? Sora has a crush on Yuuta, Yuuta just sees her as his niece and only has eyes for Raika.

As adorable as her crush is, even Team Sora knows nothing will come of it.

Quote:
I still dislike Madoka and her thick-headed optimism

A question: what is the determining difference between Madoka and Marika? They're similar, but I like Madoka more because she acts like she's invested in what's going on. Marika feels like she's very detached from everything and she's only doing the pirate thing because "Sure, why not?"

Also, the motive's of Lagrange's factions have been hinted at and will probably be revealed later. However Space Pirates hasn't even introduced any sort of antagonist yet and it's just been "Marika's random pirate adventures that don't amount to anything."

You're welcome to have your own tastes, of course, but it just seems odd that you critisize one series for something but let it slide in another.

Inu X Boku SS: Probably just as well that you drop it now. It gets kinda creepy later on when spoiler[Ririchiyo and Soushi become a couple. For one, she's 15 and he's 22. For another, Soushi is very much the dominant and controlling one in the relationship but he still does the whole loyal servant act.] I'm mostly watching it for Watanuki and Karuta now.

Shame that Aquarion Evol isn't streaming. That would be my #1.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
I don't like the music in the opening it doesn't feel right for the show. Looking forward to more of the show.

LMAO you do realize Ali Project is pretty much a staple for horror like animes.
And...so what? That doesn't give it a automatic pass in my book. I find some parts of the music in the opening to be a little too upbeat. Those parts don't work for me with what I've seen of the show. You may disagree and like it which is fine. Anyways its not going to stop me from enjoying the show.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Personally I find any song by Ali Project hilarious. There's just this innate silliness to the vocals.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

They've also tried renaming the class but the phenomenon still happens in whatever is the 3rd class. Even if a hotel goes from 12 to 14, that doesn't stop 14 from being the 13th floor.

So tear down the school. We are talking a REALLY HIGH death rate, here. The fact that the school isn't doing anything about it really baffles me. It's hard to suspend disbelief when it seems they're operating on hoodoo and guesswork.

Quote:
How much stronger of a line would you like? Sora has a crush on Yuuta, Yuuta just sees her as his niece and only has eyes for Raika.

I want Miu to stop egging them on, I want the series to stop showing Yuuta stumbling in on Sora undressing, and I want the series to just drop the whole thing already.

Quote:
You're welcome to have your own tastes, of course, but it just seems odd that you critisize one series for something but let it slide in another.

You're comparing surface-level attributes, though. Both series can have similar characters, but if one series utilizes one character better than another, then overall it's a better series. I think Marika is justifiably bewildered at her circumstances. She's just discovered something about her mother she's never known, and she's given a really heavy responsibility, the reality of which has probably not really hit her yet. But at least she's had doubts, and she's bewildered, and she's given the choice.
KakulonSSJ4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Two points I'd like to touch on. First off, the one about Knight in the Area.

I'll be the first to admit that the series is very weak in that genre of shonen and it's understandable how many people don't find it appealing. The main reason I think I find it appealing is because it focuses on soccer, which is my favorite sport and maybe you'd have to be a big enough fan of soccer to continue following the show, even though it can be pretty weak at parts. I'm looking at you game animation. Even with the flaws in the show, I still tune in on a weekly basis because it's fun to see where they take the show in general. But I'll be the first to admit that there a many more soccer shows that are much better, such as Aoki Densetsu Shoot or Whistle!

Second topic of this thread seems to be Another, which I have been following as well. As many people put it, this is a show that tries some peoples' patience, such as mine. I've continued following it because they've finally started to reveal some things, but within the first four episodes or so, I was definitely ready to drop it. I guess what bugs me the most about it was the constant inaction. The fact that the students don't clue our main character in at all and expect him to follow their regiment. The fact that they constantly put out those open ended answers. I mean, how do they expect him to understand when they don't clue him in? And it still bugs me, but I'll probably finish the series since I'm already 7 episodes in and it's slated for 12.

And I too am on the bandwagon as most here are with Chihayafuru and Bodacious Space Pirates. Definitely gems of this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7