• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Bend It Like Kakeru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, based on the article, my thoughts so far on the series discussed:

Chihayafuru - no doubt this anime and the manga has increased karuta's popularity in Japan. The show has its up and downs and I enjoy the humor, drama, and storyline. Going to finish this anime.

Bodacious Space Pirates - I kinda feel like this anime has great potential. I have put it on hold thou as from CR live show, an anime critic by the name of Andy I believe recommended this but also said that there are way too much talking and not enough action so far. I have put this on hold now.

The Knight in the Area/Area no Kishi - an underrated series imo for this season. I loved the action, drama, characters, and storyline build up so far. Going to definitely continue this series.

Hunter x Hunter - going to marathon this, not much to say.

Another - one of my favorite series this season so far with its murder/mystery themes. It kinda reminds me of Higurashi and has one of the best animation this season (perhaps 2nd to Nisemonogatari)

Ano Natsu de Matteru - honestly, I find this series to be quite interesting and relaxing to watch. It is a bit similar to Onegai Twins/Teacher with even similar characters. (Ex. Remon). Nevertheless, I enjoy this series and will be finishing.

Going to marathon Listen to me Girls! I am your Father! on CR later this year.

Rinne no Lagrange - personally, I think this series has great potential. I have watched it since its debut and enjoyed the music aspects, characters (yes, a bit shallow but unique in its right), and unfolding storyline. It has humor and mecha action. Who doesn't love that?

Inu x Boku SS - From episodes I've seen far, this show has potential imo but is slacking in its development as of recently. Its humor is getting worse and worse but hopefully will turn it around soon. I still have hope for this series as of now.

Other series I'm watching this season (besides the big 3) are High School DxD, Familiar of Zero F*, Future Diary and Black Rock Shooter.

Also interested in watching Brave10 as Patrick recommended on the CR live show. I'm not a big fan of historical themed series so good chance I'll be marathoning it. For other series with 20+ episodes like Shakugan no Shana III, Phi: Puzzle, Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing, etc, going to marathon them all most likely Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
ChocolateBar9 wrote:
Wow, yet another article about Chihayafuru Rolling Eyes

It seems like this site has done a good job of overhyping a mediocre drama for nothing

Sorry we don't like the same shows, bro.
ChocolateBar9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
ChocolateBar9 wrote:
Wow, yet another article about Chihayafuru Rolling Eyes

It seems like this site has done a good job of overhyping a mediocre drama for nothing

Sorry we don't like the same shows, bro.

I'll pretend to care about your opinion
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Well we're done pretending to cater to trolls. If you have no intention of adding anything to the discussion or posting in a manner respectful to users or staff then you're done here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChocolateBar9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
^So wait having an opinion is trolling around these parts nowadays?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
ChocolateBar9 wrote:
^So wait having an opinion is trolling around these parts nowadays?

No, but being a douchebag about your opinion sure is.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
SIGH. And that is exactly my problem with the show. What kind of screwed logic is this? Where are the problem solvers in this town? Get to the bottom of this. Sweeping things under the rug is not the way to make this go away. ESPECIALLY when new kids inevitably break the rules because they're not told the rules, thus starting in motion the curse again.

And yet, time and again, people act exactly like this. Even though " it makes no sense". Consider the scandals that rocked the Catholic Church the last decade or two (to avoid stereotyping it as just "an East Asian thing").

Quote:
Once the curse has been started for the year, it can't be stopped. But the curse is (MAYBE) started when someone breaks the rules... but when they're not even told the rules, of COURSE they break it. So then despite everyone else upholding the rules, the curse starts regardless! It's circular logic.

Yeah, those are the most insidious, when everyone thinks "if I keep my head down, it'll pass me by."

Last edited by agila61 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Also wasn't it mentioned that the principal was new and didn't know what was going on? And aren't people afraid of mentioning it, because it might draw the curse on them and their families. The adults perhaps are in a similar position as the kids and so they ignore or pretend to not know what is going on.

Once the curse has been started for the year, it can't be stopped. But the curse is (MAYBE) started when someone breaks the rules... but when they're not even told the rules, of COURSE they break it. So then despite everyone else upholding the rules, the curse starts regardless! It's circular logic.

First, we are not even sure the rules are accurate as 50% of the time it doesn't seem to work. So, the characters and us the viewers are probably missing some of the "rules". So even informing people of the rules is no guarantee that they will not be broken. Furthermore, even if you tell people the rules you will still have some who will intentionally break rules because they cannot accept such a phenomenon. This would require assessing which people are risks and what would need to be done with them.

Second, there does seem a time frame for informing people but the main male lead was hospitalized before school started and didn't attend school until well into the semester. This created problems because the kids of the class were unsure what to do and obviously informing him now might break the rules by calling attention to what they were trying to ignore. Notice that spoiler[Mei Misaki was informed and selected to be ignored to which she agreed, so people do get informed.]

Quote:
SIGH. And that is exactly my problem with the show. What kind of screwed logic is this? Where are the problem solvers in this town? Get to the bottom of this.
Well isn't that what the main leads are? Aren't they a bit of the outsiders in this town and therefore might bring a different approach to the situation?

Quote:
Sweeping things under the rug is not the way to make this go away. ESPECIALLY when new kids inevitably break the rules because they're not told the rules, thus starting in motion the curse again.
But people do this all the time. You also have social phenomenons like groupthink or diffusion of responsibility where people do not act to help others or just follow orders no matter how evil those orders are. People might also feel helpless when faced with a supernatural phenomenon that they can't see or touch. So sweeping under the rug, not taking action when crimes are being committed, concealing the truth--well, it happens all the time.

Many of the things that seem to happen involve accidents, so why should the police investigate? How much of what is going on supernatural? Maybe, many of the things that occur are due to fear, paranoia and just plain coincidence. Perhaps the curse is greater because of the paranoid actions of the people involved. These are interesting questions and why I'm continuing to watch the show.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Also wasn't it mentioned that the principal was new and didn't know what was going on? And aren't people afraid of mentioning it, because it might draw the curse on them and their families. The adults perhaps are in a similar position as the kids and so they ignore or pretend to not know what is going on.

SIGH. And that is exactly my problem with the show. What kind of screwed logic is this? Where are the problem solvers in this town? Get to the bottom of this. Sweeping things under the rug is not the way to make this go away. ESPECIALLY when new kids inevitably break the rules because they're not told the rules, thus starting in motion the curse again.

It's just the tactic used in these type of shows unless the can break the chain themselves. The only reason I can not hate this type of genre is due in part of how scarce it is in anime as a whole. Now I have read the corpse part manga "all of them" along with other horror type titles but something is different about seeing a page with words and fluid animation...This is just my opinion however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
KakulonSSJ4 wrote:
I guess what bugs me the most about it was the constant inaction. The fact that the students don't clue our main character in at all and expect him to follow their regiment. The fact that they constantly put out those open ended answers. I mean, how do they expect him to understand when they don't clue him in?

This is very, very typical Japanese behavior, so I'm not surprised that you and many others don't get it. As for why they do this, well you could spend an entire semester in college in a class discussing that.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Hunter x Hunter ....is Hunter x Hunter. I'm surprised with how much faster they're moving but at the same time, it's not much faster. At some point the show is going to get cut short again, which is probably what I fear the most. If I recall correctly, the show is planned for a minimum of 45 episodes.

Where did you hear that from. There is no way they're only doing 45 episodes. The ratings are pretty good and this is supposed to be the "Definitive Anime"

On this very site a while back. And I didn't say "only 45 episodes." I said minimum...

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-09-04/hunter-x-hunter-slated-for-45+episodes-chihayafuru-for-25
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Hate me, but I'm beginning to think Chihayafuru is a little overrated. It's good, I do like it but the emotional parts always seem a little too deliberate, like it's trying to tell you when and how to react to a particular dramatic scene, especially with the repetitive "olympics" music. It's really starting to get old. Plus I don't really see what others see in Taichi, he's too cliche. This is not supposed to be a shoujo, it's josei, or at least that's what it seems like it's supposed to come off as. I think we need to see more Arata, he's cool, he's different and 20 episodes is waaay too many to do little more than lead up to his "big return to karuta." I would have dropped the show at episode 3 if I knew I was going to have to wait till episode 20 before he really gets back in the picture again. I just really like him, he defined the show for me in the beginning.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
On this very site a while back. And I didn't say "only 45 episodes." I said minimum...

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-09-04/hunter-x-hunter-slated-for-45+episodes-chihayafuru-for-25
A "45+ (tentative)" isn't even an absolute minimum of 45, if it had bombed ... but it didn't so it'll be trucking on for a while.
NotintheMood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
Can I just say that I really like The Stream?

I had already decided not to watch anything this season from reading the preview guide. But seeing Chihayafuru and Bodacious Space Pirates get so much praise week after week on the Stream convinced me that I should have given them a chance.

And I really liked them.

Thank you.
ChocolateBar9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
NotintheMood wrote:
Can I just say that I really like The Stream?

I had already decided not to watch anything this season from reading the preview guide. But seeing Chihayafuru and Bodacious Space Pirates get so much praise week after week on the Stream convinced me that I should have given them a chance.

And I really liked them.

Thank you.

Nobody cares Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7