• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Lonely Hearts Club

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Very nice manga collection Mary and Thomas. Hell even I am little envious of that myself.. however for those that do know me online or off I am just not big on collecting or reading manga that much anymore. Don't get me wrong I love some of the stuff that's out there but it's either only in Japanese paper back like aki sora, kodomo no jikan or digital with j-manga.

On shelf life well it's nice to see one piece getting a self recommendation lol. In all honesty I haven't really seen anymore of that show since toonami was pulled 2-3 years ago so I know that I am way behind on that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every minute of gameplay is underscored with well-orchestrated inspirational sports music, reminiscent of Olympic themes or (my favorite) the opening theme to the 1984 Olympics.

6 months 'til London X3
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I adore Kobato, but I'm also a sucker for cute, happy shows. The conflicts come out much more strongly in the second half, for what it's worth.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'll sing the praises of Chihayafuru to anybody who'll listen!!! But, I've already done that enough on these forums, so I won't repeat myself. Very Happy

I have a complicated relationship with Kobato. I like elements of the manga and I like elements of the anime, and I'm convinced that if you were to combine the two, it would make a pretty good story. However, they both fail in different ways that left me feeling disappointed. The manga has better pacing, and I find Kobato more cute and less annoying in print. However, while I thought some parts of the anime ending were kind of dumb, it blows away the manga ending in comparison, which builds up until you think something is about to happen, and then spoiler[just kind of stops with hardly a climax at all, completely dropping the Fujimoto romance to inconsequential status in favor of MOAR Kindergarten Drama!! At least the anime had the decency to work the romance into the plot at the end. ] Between the anime and manga, it's a mess of good ideas and bad execution. I was once a CLAMP fan, a huge fan, but when you take the disappointing Kobato., the rage-inducing ending of xxxHolic, and the god-awfully boring Gate 7, I've kind of soured on them. Sad
Altacia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh My Gods, Chocobo on the third shelf!!

At least I think it's a Chocobo, Best Plushie Ever!

Anime exclamation
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I was once a CLAMP fan, a huge fan, but when you take the disappointing Kobato., the rage-inducing ending of xxxHolic, and the god-awfully boring Gate 7, I've kind of soured on them. Sad

Then stay as far away from Blood-C as you possibly can, if you watch it it may just compel you you burn anything you've ever previously enjoyed of theirs simply because you know you'll never be able to think of any other CLAMP work without being utterly disgusted by the mere memory of Blood-C.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I may send in pictures of my shelf, but it isn't the most impressive thing. Like one shelf since I'm only 16 and spend my money only on what I really feel are some of my favorites. Maybe.

I've been needing to check out One Piece at some point. When I first heard of Chiyafuru I stopped reading the second I heard "card game." Reading this review it seems like it may take it a little too emotionally, but I may check it out. I hadn't heard of that third title, but it doesn't seem like something Shaft would do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I usually prefer more action oriented stories but I found Kabato to be really sweet and cute; However, as will all sweet things if you ingest too much too fast you'll get sick, so it's best to pace yourself.

Quote:

Quote:

Julia-the-Great wrote:

I was once a CLAMP fan, a huge fan, but when you take the disappointing Kobato., the rage-inducing ending of xxxHolic, and the god-awfully boring Gate 7, I've kind of soured on them.

Then stay as far away from Blood-C as you possibly can, if you watch it it may just compel you you burn anything you've ever previously enjoyed of theirs simply because you know you'll never be able to think of any other CLAMP work without being utterly disgusted by the mere memory of Blood-C.

I didn't think Blood-C was that bad as a CLAMP fan, if I wasn't, and only a fan of blood I would have been really upset by it. However I liked Kabato, xxxHolic, and am enjoying Gate 7 all for different reasons.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, before I begin, I should probably mention that I'm extremely biased towards Kobato. It's probably one of my favorite anime.

But that being said, I can understand why you didn't like the first twelve episodes. If I had to pick between the first half of the series and the second, I'd obviously go with the latter. Things start to get a bit more interesting once Kobato enters the Fall and Winter seasons. Kobato begins to recall scenes from her past life, and Fujimoto's past and his issues with being able to trust others is finally fully presented. Episode 19 ("White Christmas") is an absolutely beautifully done episode, and IMO, the best in the series. I bawl every time I watch Episode 19 and 23, and I usually don't cry at this kind of stuff.

For me, Kobato has a simple message - spoiler[No matter how bad things get, whatever power in control of the universe that you believe in will never abandon you. Fujimoto finally opens his heart, Sayaka's kindergarten is torn down but she returns to the man she really cared about, Kobato gets her wish, and all the people that she helped along the way are shown again for a few seconds. ] I find it a rather touching anime, with a good message. I would love to see more anime with a positive message more often, but the industry is out to make money, and chooses to do so with the fanservice-y stuff that sells.

I also agree that the anime ending was a lot better than the manga ending. The manga ending was too abrupt - I really wanted Kobato's past life to be touched on more. I also wanted to know spoiler[what Kobato's angel meant when she said that, if Kobato got through this life healthy, that she'd be healthy in the next life.] But, if anything, the manga was far less satisfying than the anime.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Very nice manga collection Mary and Thomas. Hell even I am little envious of that myself.. however for those that do know me online or off I am just not big on collecting or reading manga that much anymore. Don't get me wrong I love some of the stuff that's out there but it's either only in Japanese paper back like aki sora, kodomo no jikan or digital with j-manga.

On shelf life well it's nice to see one piece getting a self recommendation lol. In all honesty I haven't really seen anymore of that show since toonami was pulled 2-3 years ago so I know that I am way behind on that one.

I am the same when it comes to one piece, but then again, I lost interest in it after taking up streaming on cruchyroll xD

Unfortunately I don't think any publishers over here will be picking up aki sora, or kodomo no jikan cause of their "content" Wink but hell people can always wish right? I'd be delighted if they'd bring out aki sora, since my friends tell me it has a great story; but then AGAIN hese are my friends so I don't know who to trust xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Nice manga collection. I'd like to collect the rest of Fairy Tail myself due to my sister's growing interest in it, but the rather rapid bi-monthly releases of Naruto and One Piece have been keeping me busy as of late. I also need to get the rest of Viz's releases of HunterxHunter. Eyeshield 21 is finished, so I might jump on Berserk next.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
When you do get to the latter episodes of Chihayafuru, Erin, please be aware Chapter 16 is 90% recap of episodes 1-15, 10% playful fantasy about the main characters. I love this series also but I was quite disappointed with episode 16 because of these animator antics.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I was once a CLAMP fan, a huge fan, but when you take the disappointing Kobato., the rage-inducing ending of xxxHolic, and the god-awfully boring Gate 7, I've kind of soured on them. Sad

Why blood-c was the best comedy clamp has written in years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In one episode she helps find a home for a kitten!

Now I must watch this.

Quote:
Kobato. moves into the apartment complex from Chobits.

Now I MUST watch this.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru is the best show of this season.

Blood-C is nowhere near as bad as some people like to pretend it is. It certainly is hundreds of times better than One Piece (when you have to slog through 100 episodes of something to get to the part where fans claim "it starts to get good" there is a serious problem). By comparison, Blood-C rocks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3